Manual to DSG

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
My son bought a 2006 dsg car with broken timing belt. We pulled motor and transmission out to do repairs. We were reinstalling dsg onto motor when rear block cracked on boss with dowel pin. I have a manual block and crank. I see the part number for the pilot bearing is the same between manual and DSG. Also people swap DSGS for manual so I presume I should be able to use the manual block and crank to repair his broken engine. Is there any reason I cannot do this. Please and thank you for any assistance.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My son bought a 2006 dsg car with broken timing belt. We pulled motor and transmission out to do repairs. We were reinstalling dsg onto motor when rear block cracked on boss with dowel pin. I have a manual block and crank. I see the part number for the pilot bearing is the same between manual and DSG. Also people swap DSGS for manual so I presume I should be able to use the manual block and crank to repair his broken engine. Is there any reason I cannot do this. Please and thank you for any assistance.
Yeah you should be able to. Only the dsg uses the pilot bearing. It is not used in manual.

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Apparently, this is a common problem with the BRM. When I replaced my timing belt last year, the block broke as I was backing out of my driveway which nearly took out my new timing belt. It's due to a bad design of the engine mount bracket. Fortunately there is a fix from DieselGeek which requires an updated VW 03G199207G engine mount bracket. Much cheaper and requires less work than swapping over engines.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_Engine_Block_Bracket_for_BRM_TDI_p/vg-brm.htm