www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old October 24th, 2017, 13:47   #1
Lou Como

Default One to two year-old diesel fuel in tank of "new" 2016 GWS TDI

I'm supposed to take delivery on my 2016 with 50 miles on the odometer. It's a Mexican car originally destined for the US, and has been in limbo because of dieselgate. As far as I know, the fuel could have been in the tank for a year or two.
Problems? Suggestions?
I was thinking I'd add a diesel fuel stabilizer, or perhaps a different additive?
Drain and refill the tank?
Thanks
Lou Como is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 16:14   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I wouldn't. Supposedly they were being taken care of. Ask the dealer about what they did if anything for the fuel. I did nothing to mine when I got it a few months ago. No issues.
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:53   #3
Lou Como

Thanks for the advice. Another forum member reported his "new" deiselgate car ran well after sitting around for a year or two.
Old November 4th, 2017, 06:38   #4
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

A year of sitting won't do a darn thing to diesel fuel. Drive more, worry less.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 09:04   #5
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
A year of sitting won't do a darn thing to diesel fuel. Drive more, worry less.
Hmm...since diesel is highly hygroscopic, sitting for a year would give ME concern, especially since it's doubtful the car sat with a FULL TANK of diesel. It probably had only enough fuel to jockey it on/off transport vehicles.

Unless VWoA did the right thing and fully drained/siphoned the tank, I would be concerned about residual water. The fuel filter is supposedly designed to keep water molecules from passing through, and residual water will settle to the bottom of the FF canister. If it were my car, I'd check the canister after burning through a tank or 2 of fuel... but hey, I'm OCD!!!
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)

Last edited by tdiatlast; November 4th, 2017 at 09:06.
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 09:56   #6
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Hmm...since diesel is highly hygroscopic, sitting for a year would give ME concern, especially since it's doubtful the car sat with a FULL TANK of diesel. It probably had only enough fuel to jockey it on/off transport vehicles.
Unless VWoA did the right thing and fully drained/siphoned the tank, I would be concerned about residual water. The fuel filter is supposedly designed to keep water molecules from passing through, and residual water will settle to the bottom of the FF canister. If it were my car, I'd check the canister after burning through a tank or 2 of fuel... but hey, I'm OCD!!!
It's no more hygroscopic than the oil in the crankcase. Are you thinking of gasoline?
Old November 4th, 2017, 10:00   #7
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Diesel can sit for years and years and years and years and years with nothing happening to it, as said above, drive more, worry less.

If you want, add some white bottled Power Service.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 13:55   #8
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

while obviously less susceptible to water issues than a CR, ive had tractors sit with diesel in them for nearly a decade... new battery, prime the pump and start doing field work.

Ive also bought my B4 that had sat for 8 years. Got it running in spring and it ran fine all summer but had to drain and rinse the tank once winter came because the tank was full of algae looking gunk that gelled in the filter when cold.

End of the day, its your ride and your peace of mind but 1-2 years wouldnt bother me any.
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:45   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
Diesel can sit for years and years and years and years and years with nothing happening to it, as said above, drive more, worry less.

If you want, add some white bottled Power Service.

That and add a bottle or two of dry gas if you're really concerned
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 20:45   #10
AndyBees
Veteran Member

I know it is not a common rail .. but, I'm wringing my hands over the 10 year old Diesel Fuel in my RV (5.9 Cummins) ... same thing with my Yanmar Excavator and Dodge 5.9 Cummins Pick-up that I do not drive very often.

I have about 10 gallons of Diesel Fuel from the Katrina Era (hint: 2005). It still looks like and smells like Diesel Fuel.

Lastly, what about those cars that sit on car lots for months and months........ surely that fuel is old and no good! Hmmmm.

As Turocharged798 said, drive more and worry less!
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 09:19   #11
Lou Como

Well, VW de Mexico did syphon the tank. I know because it was delivered to me bone-dry.
I'm loving the TDI, the forced-induction and big torque is perfect for high-altitude mountain driving.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 21:32   #12
rrgrassi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city 53 hwy

Diesel is a light oil, not a distillate like gasoline. It can sit for years with out any issues. That said, any moisture present, and a fungus can develop. Add some biocide found at any marina to kill off any potential fungus. Make sure you have plenty of fule filters as well.

06 Jetta TDI 235K
03 Golf TDI 360K+
90 Dodge D250 Cummins 12V
rrgrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 02:18   #13
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgrassi View Post
Diesel is a light oil, not a distillate like gasoline. It can sit for years with out any issues. That said, any moisture present, and a fungus can develop. Add some biocide found at any marina to kill off any potential fungus. Make sure you have plenty of fule filters as well.
it's already sat for years

if it had algae in it the problem is well and over with by now
you'll notice black schmutz caked fuel filters if that's the case. Warranty should cover it.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 05:09   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have brought diesels back to life that had been sitting for years (like, over a decade in some cases), and they had no issues with the fuel. I just filled the tank the rest of the way up with fresh fuel and off they went.

Gasoline is a VERY different story. That stuff starts to go bad in weeks, and gets downright rotten in months.
Old November 27th, 2017, 10:30   #15
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Kinda off topic, but I pickle my snowblower, mower and track car with Sta-Bil. Does it really work or is there something better? I've never had any problems after six months or so of sitting.