800 Mile Club

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Its like hotter up there then it is down here, its not supposed to hit 100 for the next couple days..

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Made the club, but unfortunately on lousy mileage...

804.1 miles

14.21 Gals of D2 plus 3 Gals of B100 = 17.21 Gals

sigh, only 46.72 MPG but made it to 800 miles on fumes I think!

Mach1

TDI
Mike, you got 17 gallons in the stock tank?? Woww, You set a couple of records on that run...

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did. I put in 3 gallons of B100 from my Blitz jug and checked the lines marked on the jug 3 times (1, 2, 3, yup, 3 gallons) and then put in the extra 14 from the tank. I have to think through this again, cause the mileage stunk. I would have preferred that this was 804 miles on 16.21 gallons. But I am vented.

Mach1

TDI
OH I forgot this is the A5 section...

Still 17 gallons in a A4 is like the record isn't?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oops - Sorry, did a search (gimme credit) for 800 mile club and didn't pay attention to the forum I was in. Thanks for letting me visit. I'll be going now... ;)

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
MikeS_18 said:
oops - Sorry, did a search (gimme credit) for 800 mile club and didn't pay attention to the forum I was in. Thanks for letting me visit. I'll be going now... ;)
No problem. Here is a link to an 800 MPT thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=131509

We can't vent our tanks, so 800 is a big deal. Last night I opted not to hit 800+ again ( I've doen it 3 times), because the fueling station was on my way home. I went 790 on 14.513 gallons, I could of easily made 800.

Mach1

TDI
David, I am glad to see you raking up 800 tanks, with winter rapidly approaching, I am going to take a couple of shots at a 800 mile tank, with the 40K on the Jetta, we will see if it has loosened up enough to help in that dept.

Mach1

TDI
Do it Dave, I dont think it can be done..

Theres your dare as well.

nmea2020

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG Silver 2006 JETTA DSG
:) :)Well this is very impressive but at what speed are we talking about?
I’m not retired yet so I’ve got to do 65mph to make decent time.
Last trip the wife was asking if I could pick up the pace a little because the kids were getting cranky. I think I could do this alone but where do you guys find such long flat straight stretches of interstate. The turnpike sucks with stop-n-go as I’m headed down to South Florida. I can’t imagine taking I10w to I95s. I know I can pretend there is an egg on the pedal and drive like a grandpa with over inflated tires. It is a challenge I’ll take on the way down but I’m afraid on the way back home I’ll try to break my 124mph (Speedo) 114mph (GPS) record. Man… I’m a speed demon who is trying to change his ways.
Anybody who really knows me can’t believe I’d really drive 60-65mph and that is kinda the fun part. I have no problem sitting in the car for 8-10 hours or longer . Tell me what your secret is… :)

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Im curious how far you go before the needle moves, you know from the full position. If you can achieve 58+ mpg. Math almost states that >61 <62 is all that is possible from a A5 Jetta with DSG and 16" wheels. If you could ride the salt flats. The EPA could only achieve 53.8 in a labratory

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
wjdell said:
Im curious how far you go before the needle moves, you know from the full position. If you can achieve 58+ mpg. Math almost states that >61 <62 is all that is possible from a A5 Jetta with DSG and 16" wheels. If you could ride the salt flats. The EPA could only achieve 53.8 in a labratory
I filled up on the 19th, I've driven around 125 mile and the needle has not move yet. The past several tanks, the 1/2 tank reading is between 450 and 510. It drops off pretty fast after that.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks David - when I fill I set my FillRite to the slowest of its two settings and when it clicks off I quit. The best I can do is around 98 miles its starts to move and by 110 is clearly in the white to 3/4. I just hit a high of 45.15. I hope to one day post a 51.

do you top off your tank till you can see the fuel

Last edited:

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
nmea2020 said:
:) :)Well this is very impressive but at what speed are we talking about?
I’m not retired yet so I’ve got to do 65mph to make decent time.
Last trip the wife was asking if I could pick up the pace a little because the kids were getting cranky. I think I could do this alone but where do you guys find such long flat straight stretches of interstate. The turnpike sucks with stop-n-go as I’m headed down to South Florida. I can’t imagine taking I10w to I95s. I know I can pretend there is an egg on the pedal and drive like a grandpa with over inflated tires. It is a challenge I’ll take on the way down but I’m afraid on the way back home I’ll try to break my 124mph (Speedo) 114mph (GPS) record. Man… I’m a speed demon who is trying to change his ways.
Anybody who really knows me can’t believe I’d really drive 60-65mph and that is kinda the fun part. I have no problem sitting in the car for 8-10 hours or longer . Tell me what your secret is… :)

I drive conservatively, on the highway I'll drive between 60 and 65. The main problem is traffic.
I used to be a "speed daemon" too. But by "speeding" on my normal commute, it will only save me a couple of minutes. One stop light can bow that savings.
My daily commute starts at 5:30 AM, so I'm on the road before the heavy traffic starts. With warm weather, lately I'll achieve about 60 MPG.
The evening commutes starts at about 6:00 PM, the traffic is heavy but not as bad as a 5:00 start. This commute will yield about 52 MPG. My trip to and from work is about 27 miles, 60-65% highway, the balance suburban roads with several stop lights.
Secrets ( or not so much )
1) keep it slow
2) pay attentions to traffic and anticipate traffic flow avoid braking
3) coast when ever possible, in highest reasonable gear , avoid braking.
a) down hills
b) stop lights
c) stop signs
4) accelerate to speed briskly, get in to the highest reasonable gear quickly
5) drive the torque band of the engine
6) not really a part of economy but, do the Italian tune up daily, all the way to the rev limit:D

I have a manual, I don't know how to do these thing with the DSG.

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
wjdell said:
Thanks David - when I fill I set my FillRite to the slowest of its two settings and when it clicks off I quit. The best I can do is around 98 miles its starts to move and by 110 is clearly in the white to 3/4. I just hit a high of 45.15. I hope to one day post a 51.

do you top off your tank till you can see the fuel
I just rolled 20K, I'm not sure what you are at. It can take some time to break it in.
My mileage has steadily increased to this point. I think maybe I've hit the top but, I hope not:D.
I hope some day I'll post 51 life time average. Actually that is coming soon. But I don't know haw this winter will effect the mileage, I assume I will not be doing any better until spring:(.

Last edited:

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Lightflyer1 said:
Feeling kind of lonely there DavidG? Looks like you are the only one playing this game now! :)
Dave what happened to:
Lightflyer1 said:
You guys are going to make me do an ER (Ernie Rogers). Drive 45 mph for 900 miles just to do it!
At least for you southerns, cool weather is upon us. My mileage will drop and you guys will have a chance to catch me:D.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am headed into my 70 F season, in January there will be some 60 F days. Yesterday still 91 F so the air was on. I have been driving as slow as I can go. My new approach is to go 60 as not to hold up traffic hope they pass. When they do then I slow back to 52, 1750 rpm. I am at 6.5k on ODO

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
700 miles per tank

Well, I was looking for the 700 miles per tank thread, when I ran accross this 800 miles per tank thread. I figured this would be as good a place, as any to post my 700 mpt trip(s).

This was all done on my daily commute to and from work over two weeks, one short trip with my family, and one 16.5 detour to make it an even 700 miles on the tank.

The weather here in Texas made a huge difference, but the rains, we've been having, coupled with the associated freeway traffic a couple of days ago didn't help.

I just returned from my fillup and I put in 14.596g, which resulted in 700mi/14.596g = 47.958mpg. I am overjoyed with those results.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am happy for you Tom - I will finish out at 44+ this month so I guess you will top me. I forget who but another DSG took a trip and is at 48 and should finish first. If I could turn the A/C off I could be in that range or maybe better.

nmea2020

Veteran Member
TDI
DavidG said:
I drive conservatively, on the highway I'll drive between 60 and 65. The main problem is traffic.
I used to be a "speed daemon" too. But by "speeding" on my normal commute, it will only save me a couple of minutes. One stop light can bow that savings.
My daily commute starts at 5:30 AM, so I'm on the road before the heavy traffic starts. With warm weather, lately I'll achieve about 60 MPG.
The evening commutes starts at about 6:00 PM, the traffic is heavy but not as bad as a 5:00 start. This commute will yield about 52 MPG. My trip to and from work is about 27 miles, 60-65% highway, the balance suburban roads with several stop lights.
Secrets ( or not so much )
1) keep it slow
2) pay attentions to traffic and anticipate traffic flow avoid braking
3) coast when ever possible, in highest reasonable gear , avoid braking.
a) down hills
b) stop lights
c) stop signs
4) accelerate to speed briskly, get in to the highest reasonable gear quickly
5) drive the torque band of the engine
6) not really a part of economy but, do the Italian tune up daily, all the way to the rev limit:D

I have a manual, I don't know how to do these thing with the DSG.
Thanks very much for sharing and for the advice:) . I've been practicing some of these techniques recently and have noticed a difference on the fuel gauge. I have a VAG but I just ordered the Scan Gauge II to give real time info.
5spd with 28.5K on the clock and mostly driven by the wife(soccer mom) with exception to the occasional trip to Atlanta or So. Fla:) (where I drive).

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
wjdell said:
I am happy for you Tom - I will finish out at 44+ this month so I guess you will top me. I forget who but another DSG took a trip and is at 48 and should finish first. If I could turn the A/C off I could be in that range or maybe better.
Thanks Will. It was funny. I missed the 700 roll, but my son saw it. When he said 700, I looked down and saw 700.1 - bummer. Anyway, we rolled into the gas station at exactly 700.1.

As far as the A/C is concerned, it appears that it makes a big difference. However, it may only appear that way, because when you don't need A/C, the air is cooler and less humid, which adds to the mpg, as well.

Oh, and FWIW, I used 4.266% BIO and 0.160% Stenadyne on that tank.

nmea2020

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok BioThomas my hat is off to you for the 700mt
It's good to know it can be done in the south:)
I'll try to get there and take a photo of the results.
Thanks

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
nmea2020 said:
Ok BioThomas my hat is off to you for the 700mt
It's good to know it can be done in the south:)
I'll try to get there and take a photo of the results.
Thanks
Thanks, but not only was in done in the south, but with an A5 and a DSG.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
DavidG said:
Dave what happened to:

At least for you southerns, cool weather is upon us. My mileage will drop and you guys will have a chance to catch me:D.
Work has been getting in the way! I will never beat your life time average though. Trip coming up to Odessa though and might do well there, if my wife will let me drive slow!