www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 17th, 2017, 10:01   #1
czeetah
Veteran Member

Default New TOP TIER diesel fuel branding coming out

http://www.toptiergas.com/why/

So as you all know their is has for a while been a top tier marketing and standard for gas. Gas must meet a higher standard for improved deposit control, cleaning ability, chain of delivery, etc.

There is a new TopTier certification for Diesel that's rolling out and right now only a few brands are going for it. But I imagine we'll see more.

"TOP TIERô Diesel Performance Standard requires detergents to reduce deposits on the fuel injectors (both internal and external), improve lubricity (less wear on injectors and in the engine), improve fuel stability (less deposits in the fuel system components), and provide more protection against water and particulates that may be in the fuel before you dispense it into your vehicle or equipment"

Note the improved lubricity line.
czeetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:15   #2
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Doesn't it seem odd to you that in order to obtain a "top tier" designation suppliers have to pay the company a significant amount of money?

Seems like a marketing joke to me.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 19:47   #3
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
Doesn't it seem odd to you that in order to obtain a "top tier" designation suppliers have to pay the company a significant amount of money?

Seems like a marketing joke to me.
Marketing joke or not they still have to qualify their fuel to the said specs.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 21:12   #4
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Marketing joke or not they still have to qualify their fuel to the said specs.
Not hard to do, they just specify the blend at the refinery and additives at the terminal. They also have to meet ASTM, federal and local (regional) specifications for various compounds. It's like baking a cake.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 21:31   #5
BleachedBora

The other thing is that they still have to meet the federal minimum cetane level (40) - except for California (53) - I was really hoping that they would have a minimum cetane level with their specification.
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 14:08   #6
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not hard to do, they just specify the blend at the refinery and additives at the terminal. They also have to meet ASTM, federal and local (regional) specifications for various compounds. It's like baking a cake.
I did not say it was hard to do. Now at least in order to qualify they have to do it. It seems like many here love to complain about North American fuel quality......this may be a big step in a good direction. I know Iknow....some will still complain about low cetane. As I just said I think it is a step in the right direction. The aftermarket fuel additive people might not like it. So be it.
Old November 25th, 2017, 14:13   #7
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I did not say it was hard to do. Now at least in order to qualify they have to do it. It seems like many here love to complain about North American fuel quality......this may be a big step in a good direction. I know Iknow....some will still complain about low cetane. As I just said I think it is a step in the right direction. The aftermarket fuel additive people might not like it. So be it.
Yeah, its a good step in the right direction from a PR standpoint. There's generally not much *****ing about gasoline since low grade can run in almost anything without real harm. Diesel gets the bad rap due to gelling and pumps blowing up.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 14:31   #8
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yeah, its a good step in the right direction from a PR standpoint. There's generally not much *****ing about gasoline since low grade can run in almost anything without real harm. Diesel gets the bad rap due to gelling and pumps blowing up.
Well, PR aside my fuel supplier Flint Hills Resources A.K.A. KwikTrip/ Fleet Farm/Costco/Tri-Par, and many other independents have already had their pumps marked winterized for at least 3 weeks here. There should be no gelling issues. And if the Top Tier standard for lubricity is maintained the only reason fuel pumps blow up is as we all know. POOR DESIGN in the first place. Cetane additives never made my TDI's (2009/2010 JSW and my current Passat) run any better or start any faster when cold that I could tell.

Last edited by MichaelB; November 25th, 2017 at 17:47.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 09:31   #9
wensteph
Veteran Member

BASF issued a press release in September that their Keropur additive was approved for top tier. I believe Keropur is only marketed in Europe. I think that additive is similar to Lubrizol's 9040 Zer0 product which they market as cleaning injector IDID deposits. Maybe it's just a licensing fee, but there is some approval standard for top tier.

https://www.basf.com/us/en/company/n...US-17-102.html

Last edited by wensteph; December 3rd, 2017 at 11:54.
wensteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 16:03   #10
kbaisley
Veteran Member

When I was driving in Germany a few months ago, they had two grades of diesel at their petro station. It would be nice to see an option for better cetane levels here.
kbaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 16:27   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Not likely now in my opinion. Truckers and other commercial vehicles want no part of an increase in price. Auto diesel is all but dead now and I think that would be the primary market for such a fuel.
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:45   #12
RGreene75

Hello I'm new to forum. I live in West Michigan and I was wondering if anyone knew which fuel stations have the highest cetane levels in this area. Speedway says 40 and I'm still researching for the highest..thanks for the help in advance.
2006 jetta 385000
2011 jetta wagon 216000
RGreene75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:44   #13
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

There are some Admiral stations around that sell Premium diesel. Instead of worrying about cetane levels I mostly just stick to stations with a high turnover rate. My car has had a lot of Speedway in it over the years because that is what is available locally for me. 365k miles on the original IP with additives only added when it gets below 0F for extended periods.
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:50   #14
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGreene75 View Post
Hello I'm new to forum. I live in West Michigan and I was wondering if anyone knew which fuel stations have the highest cetane levels in this area. Speedway says 40 and I'm still researching for the highest..thanks for the help in advance.
2006 jetta 385000
2011 jetta wagon 216000
I am from eastern Wisconsin. I use Cenex Roadmaster in my 2015 TDI. This diesel fuel has a typical cetane number of 48. It also has a higher than US average lubricity value.

Note most Cenex cooperatives do not sell the Roadmaster diesel - you have to find one that does. Of all the Cenex locations in my area, I was only able to find a single Cenex cooperative that actually sells the Roadmaster fuel.

On a side-note, the European (EN 590 standard) road diesel has a minimum cetane number of 51.

Last edited by 93celicaconv; December 7th, 2017 at 09:09. Reason: Added European Spec
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:23   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Very few places will commit to anything other than the mandated 40 cetane, no matter what it actually is. Concentrate on finding a high turn over place as stated above. If cetane is that important to you, use an additive. The cars run fine on whatever comes out of the pump, no matter what the European spec is. To me lubricity is more important and I find a high turn over location that has some bio component to it. The Murphy's near me has been my choice for years now with no issues.