door flap for recirc ac not working too well

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
hello all. 97 passat tdi. the door/flap under the cabin filter is not 100%. if i press the button for it to close (recirc) it will not move. but if i help it up (yes, it goes up to close) by hand, about half way up, it will then close and stay closed on its own. it opens/down when i shut the engine off. so i'm guessing its vacuum activated. i'm also guessing that either i have a leak or the mechanism for the door is shot. solonoid is working. any ideas?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Check all the vacuum lines running to it. Heck, replace all the ones on the car, at this point it's due.

-Jason

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
are all the vacuum lines easy to get to and is there any test for the door actuator being the problem

illya

TDI
96 Passat TDI
I have the same symptoms with my 96 Passat. With engine running, if the recirc button is pressed, the flap will close if I give it a little tug. When I press the button for fresh air, the flap will open. But then it won't close on the recirc setting unless I give it a tug. If I hit the recirc button before the flap fully opens, it will close again.

Seems like I might have a vacuum leak. A lot of the vacuum hoses are frayed. How do you replace the hose that goes through the firewall?

I tried pulling on it, but it seems glued in. Do you have to take the whole dash apart to get to it?

Last edited: