Static cornering lights do not work on auto setting

shawnmeadows

TDI
2014 passat tdi sel & 2013 passat tdi sel
On my 2013 tdi sel the lights worked in auto setting, but not working in same setting on new 2014 tdi sel...owners manual says should work, dealer says no...anyone else have this problem

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You're talking about the fog lights coming on when you turn the wheel? Make sure that option is enabled in VCDS.

shawnmeadows

TDI
Yes, dealer says shouldn't work on auto mode only on mode, this is not the way my 2013 worked but can't get anywhere with dealer or vw...have a complaint on file...they have been no help

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
VCDS is the computer interface that talks to everything on your car. It is an essential tool for diagnostics and maintenance - worth every penny.

There is a sticky thread in this forum about popular VCDS modifications and tweaks, including activating the rain sensing wipers, activating the alarm system, making the headlights brighter, etc.

http://www.ross-tech.com

jdboone

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI - Blue Graphite/Anthracite - Pkg II - DSG; 2006 NB TDI - Gecko Green/Anthracite - Pkg I - DSG; 2014 Passat TDI SEL - Black/Titan Black - DSG
I noticed the same thing on my '14 SEL. Only functions when the light switch is in the ON position, not AUTO, which makes no sense to me. The manual makes it sound like it is supposed to function in AUTO. I have not seen anything in VCDS regarding this setting, but guess I could have missed it. Anyone have any info on this?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
The purpose of the cornering lamps is to illuminate the roadway at night when turning a corner. So they should work if the headlights (or parking lights if you have a euro switch) are illuminated. So its not clear if your lights are illuminated or not when the switch is in auto mode. If the lights are not illuminated, it stands to reason the cornering lights would not operate. (regardless of how the '13 works)

jdboone

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI - Blue Graphite/Anthracite - Pkg II - DSG; 2006 NB TDI - Gecko Green/Anthracite - Pkg I - DSG; 2014 Passat TDI SEL - Black/Titan Black - DSG
Guess I could have been more clear on that: when it is dark enough to activate the headlights in AUTO mode, and with the dims on, and with the vehicle stationary or moving less than 10 mph, neither static cornering (activated by steering wheel position) nor cornering with turn signals works in AUTO mode, but both do so if you turn the lightswitch to the ON position. No euro switch - just plain old stock american SEL premium stuff.

big_red

TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2011 Jetta TDI
Same thing happens on mine.

Lights set to Auto at night, no cornering lights when turning.
Lights set to ON at night, cornering lights come on when turning.

Does anyone know of a way to enable the cornering lights when in the Auto setting? Can this be done with VCDS?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Byte 14, bit 7 - cornering lights via front fogs active
Byte 17, bit 0 - adaptive light/cornering light variant (0=cornering light/1=adaptive light)
Byte 17, bit 4 - assistance driving light (auto mode)
should all be checked on. Key bit to check here is byte 17, bit 0 as this tells the bcm to engage cornering lights with the switch in auto - adaptive.

also check Byte 26, bit 6 to turn on cornering lights when in reverse.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Thanks Norm.
Byte 17 bit 0 was set to 1/checked already - I unchecked it and will check tonight to see if it's working.
Checked is correct. Unless new versions are polar opposites? the adaptive light refers to the auto position of the headlight switch.
The 4 bits listed should all be checked (check = 1 binary) for the cornering lights to work in Auto. Even with extensive lighting modifications, all 4 bits are checked in my bcm and results in cornering lights operative when turning at slow speeds.

Why wait for night-time to test? Just throw a thick towel over the light sensor. Give it 20-30 seconds, and the headlights should come on.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
And remember that 14s don't have the rain / light sensor anymore, they just use the sun sensor in the middle of the defroster vent on the dash.

-J

shawnmeadows

TDI
No luck with VW on this problem yet

No help from VW they say they should work one day and they should not the next, this really sucks if they can't make them work, who wants to turn lights on manually every time you need to turn...kinda why I bought a sel, liked this option because we have no street lamps in the area I live

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
No help from VW they say they should work one day and they should not the next, this really sucks if they can't make them work, who wants to turn lights on manually every time you need to turn...kinda why I bought a sel, liked this option because we have no street lamps in the area I live
I feel the same about the foglights - have to switch the headlights to 'on' to be able to turn them on (euroswitch installed). Would have been a simple change to allow the switch to pull out in auto.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Sounds like you're wasting your time trying to work this through your dealer. Either buy/borrow a VCDS, or find a Trusted Guru and have your car scanned, and follow the instructions from vw_norm. Until you do that, we have no way of determining what the issue is.
Keep us posted.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
What is the functional difference between cornering light and adaptive light in Byte 17 Bit 0?

By the way, cornering lights do work on my 13 Passat with the switch in auto mode. I wonder why the 14's would be different.

shawnmeadows

TDI
Vw sent check for light problem

Vw sent a check to comp me for lights not working in auto mode...can always use cash but would like to see a fix for it soon

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
shawnmeadows: Change your signature to show you're talking about a 2014, not a 2013.
Thanks.

shawnmeadows

TDI
Vw called

Vw called and claims they now have a fix for all the 2014 passats with static cornering lights...will make them work like 2013 model, they will operate in auto setting now...that's great pretty useless the way they are now

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Vw called and claims they now have a fix for all the 2014 passats with static cornering lights...will make them work like 2013 model, they will operate in auto setting now...that's great pretty useless the way they are now
Shawn - Seth in Dallas reports that his 2014 windows remote down with the keyfob in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=405848
Since you have a 2014 too, do your windows comfort open as well?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Mine work in auto mode, its a 2014 took delivery last week. Build date 12/2013.

rudedog830

TDI
2014 Passat
Byte 17, bit 0 - adaptive light/cornering light variant (0=cornering light/1=adaptive light)
should all be checked on. Key bit to check here is byte 17, bit 0 as this tells the bcm to engage cornering lights with the switch in auto - adaptive.

also check Byte 26, bit 6 to turn on cornering lights when in reverse.
Does this rectify the 2014 model issue where cornering lights don't come on in AUTO?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I went out and checked my 2014 SEL Premium this morning - all bytes are set as indicated above, however the cornering lamps still only work when headlights are "On", not in "Auto".

I wonder if it's a BCM firmware flash?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I went out and checked my 2014 SEL Premium this morning - all bytes are set as indicated above, however the cornering lamps still only work when headlights are "On", not in "Auto".
I wonder if it's a BCM firmware flash?

I'm certain mine worked in auto (I'm lazy and don't like turning the headlights on), but I will check it again. If it does then we can compare coding or software, or whatever it is that makes it work.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Verified again this morning that mine work.

Dzcad90 I sent you a video of them working on my 14'. If you like I can swing by tomorrow and we can conpare the two cars to see if we can get yours working.

Last edited:

rudedog830

TDI
2014 Passat
D-Cell_Mecanick: any update on the comparison with dzcad90? I have a '14 that operates in the same way as his.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
D-Cell_Mecanick: any update on the comparison with dzcad90? I have a '14 that operates in the same way as his.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Nothing yet, DZ was going to compare scans and go from there. Might be a different part number or coding. What's your build date? Just wondering if we can narrow down the change to a build date. My build date is 12-13.

torab7

TDI
2014 B7 TDI SEL
I have the same issue: 2014 model and cornering lights don't work in auto. I'm going to call VW and post back what they say...