www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 14:01   #136
TurbinePower
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI_TDI
And Turbine Power - (assuming that was a genuine response and not mockery) I didn't mention that the Power Plant has to this day a functioning machine shop (lathes, mills, shapers, grinders, etc) all driven by flat leather belts from an central overhead shaft.
Oh that wasn't even close to mockery, that was genuinely heartfelt envy. That you're only making worse, curse you.
Small stable of VWs (projects)...
'80 Dasher Diesel, full restoration in the slow burner works
'82 Quantum "Coupe" 1.6 CIS gas power, daily driver
'89 Fox wagon (Korva!), the new back porch project. Suspension and interior work in progress!
TurbinePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 14:10   #137
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI_TDI
Whoa, small world. I installed and supported casting equipment in the Ansonia Copper & Brass (former Anaconda) Mill on the Naugatuck throughout the 90's. Which plant was yours - Waterbury Rolling Mills?

I was Engineering Manager at the Ansonia Plant Between 1975 and 1980. I was pretty much responsible for the acquisition and installation of the new (at the time) indirect Schloemann extruder. I also ran all maintenance and engineering. Then I was Plant Manager of the Anaconda Small Tube Plant in Waterbury until I went to ARCO (California) in the 1980's. I had different engineering jobs in the "Brass" since I got out of college. I did a stint in Detroit as Production Superintendent in the early 1970's. Seems so long ago...

When you say 'water wheel' do you mean that literally or was it 1st-gen turbines? There was a woolen mill near where I took my undergraduate degree in Troy, NY which in 1979 was still deriving its principal operating power from early 1900s turbines. By graduation they were retired and literally tossed aside. The blades were " plate, not tapered but formed to complex curvature and the housing was riveted steel. Some entrepreneurs saw the value and had redirected the penstocks (24", 125 ft head) to some modern turbines (built with state subsidy) which are still printing money to this day.

Yes, the Ansonia Plant had an operating water wheel turbine (generator).

And Turbine Power - (assuming that was a genuine response and not mockery) I didn't mention that the Power Plant has to this day a functioning machine shop (lathes, mills, shapers, grinders, etc) all driven by flat leather belts from an central overhead shaft.

OK no more Memory Lane. Pickens' Plan isn't perfect and he'll get rich-er, but we'll get more independence so in my book its a good (enough) deal. Pickens' TV ads, just like the pharma's Direct-to-Consumer campaigns, kinda creep me out though. I know that winning the hearts and minds is key, but doesn't it still feel like the money could be put to better use?
Other sources of energy are in our future for sure. As long as the U.S. is held hostage for crude oil, then there will be incentives. Natural gas will be a big part of the conversion. Wind power will be slow to develop due to costs and logistical issues.

I'm curious about your history with the Brass. PM me with a brief history of your projects, etc and I will do the same back, OK?

Tony
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 07:46   #138
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

What a difference 10 years makes.
US is a net exporter now.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 17:32   #139
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet