Fumbling in the dark...

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
This is gonna be long... sorry. Im basically fumbling in the dark and hoping i hit the light switch or at least grab a boob while im groping around...

Im ever so slowly learning and tuning my car and im kind of stuck...
Its driveable, which is important because its my daily, but its not right...

the setup is:
Fuel - 11mm pump, R520 nozzles
Air - HE221W (i think its 6cm^2 turbine), 3 bar MAP, FMIC, 1.8T pancake, no EGR.

spool is very late, i know its not a VNT so its always gonna be late... but id like spool at 2500 or so, not 3000... on top of that, i cannot get full boost even with the wastegate hose unhooked. im getting 18-20 on my gauge and my target is 26. boost gauge is connected right to the compressor housing... It smokes some but not unbearably, a moderate haze but not a rolling dumpster fire. smoke mostly clears up once its above 10PSI

As far as tuning... like i said, im mostly fumbling in the dark here. but i did my own basic stage 1ish tune and ran it for months with no issue so im not totally unaware of whats going on in there... and you can't learn if you don't try.

For this new setup, I've changed
map linearization top value from 2600 to 3120
target boost from 1950 to 2800
SVBL from 1990 to 2800
boost limit map from 2150 to 2800 (pretty sure this and the SVBL is supposed to be higher but im not getting that boost level anyway...)

I raised the higher RPM sections of the driver wish, smoke and torque limiter maps in an attempt to get it hold onto boost for longer into the rev range. I basically lengthened the plateau at the top... dunno if thats right but it made sense at the time...

I have NOT altered any of the SOI maps because i dunno what changes i can safely make... can i just add .5* across the map? add to some but not others? i just dunno, i cannot seem to find much info on that except for PDs. I did redo the VCDS timing to the top of the map after installing nozzles.

i havent messed with the pump voltage map, its not recognized in EDCSUITE for my 2003 and i havent found it yet... i planned on using a map i found for 11mm pump/.232 nozzles as my starting point when i do find it.

this is where i got my start from to do the stage 1 version: https://vdocuments.site/vp37-remap-guide-rev-9.html

Anybody wanna throw some ideas my way? or maybe another source for info i can learn from. alot is still going over my head, so some "Barney the purple dinosaur" style learning aides would be good...

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
You should allow more fuel. You can't spool that turbo properly on ALH without smoke. Lambda ~1 is ok til the desired boost is achieved. You can also try to reduce timing @2000-3000 rpm so you don't need so much fuel to reach same EGT level.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
I don’t expect a smoke free spool, just as long as it’s not a sun blocking black cloud.

By reduce timing, you mean lower the number in the SOI maps, correct? For example: going from 5* btdc to 3* btdc. I’m not looking at map right now, those are just random numbers...

And is this done on all the SOI maps or only the “warm” ones?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
I work weekends so I just got to try a remap this morning... I only reduced timing 1degree in the mentioned 2-3k rpm range but saw no improvement. In fact, it might’ve been worse. I’m not sure what a safe amount would be but I’ll try another degree retarded, maybe tomorrow morning...

I’m still not hitting peak boost and I’m assuming I’m missing a map that I need to edit, probably one of the unrecognized ones... is there an update for edcsuite so I can ID more maps or a list showing the addresses and functions of some of the unrecognized/unnamed ones???

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
TWENTY-SIX GLORIOUS POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH...

I finally figured out why i was capping out and hitting a wall at ~20psi when i KNEW i had enough fuel to spool it and hit the 26 i was requesting.

For the ones that don't know and stumble on this in the search for MAP sensor linearization or scaling or linearisation

when scaling for a different MAP sensor you need to scale the AXIS value as well, i glossed over that in the guide i linked above i guess (page 18)...
my own fault, live and learn.

note that values in the guide are different from mine, not sure if its because of different year ECUs used or because im getting info from multiple sources with slight differences...

chart looks like this: stock on top, altered to 3bar on bottom

axis mbar
989 | 2600
-----------
82 | 200

824 | 3120
-----------
82 | 200

to find this map on edcsuite, go to the search box and search for the 200 value... then find maps with a length of 4 - there will be one map per codeblock such as manual, auto, 4x4

still need to work on the low end spool... will be testing and tweaking SOI maps soon - im just a lil nervous about it... i still unsure whats safe to change there,

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
well, i killed my 3bar MAP sensor last week, new 4bar showed up yesterday but i cannot get my new bung welded onto the intake til saturday and finish the FMIC pipework until monday...

looks like im rocking the wifes prius this weekend for work.

does running a MAP sensor too close to its limits cause them to fail? i know MAP sensor failures arent really common, except for the bolts always snapping in the intercooler... lol

so then ill have to re-scale the MAP linearization again on monday... among other alterations. i think i will bump it up 2psi to 28 with the 4bar map since i will no longer be skirting the max of the sensor and tweak fueling some more.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
I’ve exceeded the limits of my 12 rams map sensor by a full bar for over 4 years, and it hasn’t failed yet. I’d hazard a defective sensor before saying it was because it ran near its limit.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
Now that I think about it... this is the second sensor in under a year. The 2.5bar one died and I assumed it was moisture and age related because of how the bolts that hold it in had rusted to almost nothing and snapped as soon as a screwdriver was applied...

The 3bar (bought used) was also put in that stock location with screws off to the sides because of the mentioned rusty snapped bolts... but the 4bar will not be in that location because I’m swapping to the FMIC that has been bolted on but not hooked up waiting for me to get around to relocating the MAP...

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I have the same fuel setup and a similar sized waste gated turbo and I've found that the quickest spool is nearly smoke free. Adding fuel to the point of making a smoke trail will not improve the spool up at all.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
After some tweaking, I have found the same. I light haze on spool is all the fuel you need at that point.

I’ve learned how to drive in the powerband better so it’s not too bad... always room to improve though.