Idles rough after emission fix

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Ever since I picked up my car from the dealer after the emission fix the car sounds rough when it idles. If you press the accelerator slightly and increase the rpm it quiets down and sounds great.
There is no problem with driving.
I was wondering if anyone increased the idling to correct this?
Is there any harm in doing so?
I have a VAG, is there a way to do so?

marx1

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
This is a side effect of the changes. I had the change made, and noticed this immediately. It's worse when it's cold.

The only way to fix (That I know of) is to get a tune. I'm going to get a Malone Tuning stage 2 tune done soon.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm a long-time VW/Audi owner, took advantage of the buyback.

I just drove a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, and a regular 2015 Golf TDI, thinking I might buy back into VW.

30f ambient, cold engine...I was surprised by how loud the drone/drumming was at idle. I don't recall any of my 4 previous CRTDIs being so noisy (2009 JettaTDI, 2009 Sportwagen TDI, 2012 and 2014 Passats). Maybe I've succumbed to the silence of pure electric and hybrid engines, but I was very disappointed in the sound of both these engines.
Normally I like a nice mechanical sound from under the hood, but this sounded labored and made me uncomfortable, even after fully warmed.
I'm sorry to say I won't be buying...

marx1

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
I have a 2010 TDI Cup, and before the "fix" it was quiet. Smooth idle, smooth acceleration, and I never used 5th gear. Now it's rough, noisy, and I can't use 6th gear unless I'm above 60 without lugging.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I have to agree, before the emission fix my engine ran smooth and quiet at idle. This is the part of the fix I don't like, noisy. I bought the car new in 2009 and that was a big selling point for me. My dad had numerous diesels which where loud and when I originally test drove one I knew I wanted one.
I still love this car.... So maybe I have to consider a tune in the near future.