Mk4 idles rough when slowing down

98 jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
My newest car runs pretty good, but when you throw it in neutral or push in the clutch while coming to a stop it idles rough till you come to a complete stop and then instantly smoothes out. Seems electrical, anybody?
2000 jetta turbo greasel

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Maybe vagcom would show something, I'm not sure where to look off hand.

Richy_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Sounds like a deceleration stumble. Your IQ is probably low.
Question: Can this be caused by a constricted inlet manifold? Mine didn't use to do it and it's probably due for a clean. I don't want to tweak any settings if it's for something else that should be fixed anyway.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I'm 99% sure that it's slowdown shudder. I had the same thing with my car until I adjusted the IQ (injection quantity) using VAGCOM. If it's doing this then your IQ is too high and needs to be lowered. When I check mine it was at like 1.5 and should be around 3-5. I've since adjusted it to 3 and haven't had the slowdown shudder a single time since. It's nothing to worry about, not causing any damage, just an annoyance. You need to get your hands on a RossTech VAGCOM cord and adjust it whenever you get a chance.

98 jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I was just reading through the threads and saw that if adjusting the IQ didn't fix it then its the ecu.
I'm going to get a vcds soon. Thanks guys.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I was just reading through the threads and saw that if adjusting the IQ didn't fix it then its the ecu.
I'm going to get a vcds soon. Thanks guys.
Trust me, it's definitely just the IQ, not the ecu. What you're describing is exactly what mine was doing. And I saw that one other person said your IQ is too low, which is misleading. Actually the amount of fuel being injected is a bit too high but the value in VCDS that you need to adjust is currently set too low which translates to more fuel. So yours is probably less than 3 and you want it around 3.5 and raising that number actually decreases the amount of fuel being injected. Hope that makes sense.

Here's a great article that will teach you everything you need to know about the injection quantity on your car, it's what I used to diagnose and fix my slowdown shudder:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm

^The only reason you would have to do the "Hammer Mod" is if VCDS can't adjust your IQ enough to fix the problem.

Hope that helps.