Water Separation

TDiRoy

What is the best interval for draining the accumulated water in the separator? I am using good quality Chevron diesel in CA. Just wondering how much volume I might expect, and if it is easy to do myself. Don't have service manual yet.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
I believe the manual suggests draining it with every oil change, so every 10,000 miles.

There haven't been many reports of much, if any water, in the separator.

TDiRoy

Can someone provide a short tutorial on how to drain the water, tricks to do it cleanly, etc, since I don't have a manual yet? Thanks in advance!

LOVE THAT TURBO WHISTLE!

mehwolfy

Veteran Member
Pull out the filter. Open drain cock a little. Collect water/fuel in a container. Don't drain it dry.

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by TDiRoy:
LOVE THAT TURBO WHISTLE!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I disconnected my EGR, and I can hear the turbo all the time now, even at idle.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
TDiRoy ...

Roy, you didn't mention what yr & model your driving...So I'll tell you how to do a 99 Golf TDI water seperator drain.
With the hood open and you are standing infront of the eng compartment, look directly down onto the top of the fuel filter assembly. You will see a phillips screw between and slighly below the fuel lines. Using a #2 phillips screwdriver losen this screw abouty 3 -4 turns and you can lift the filter assembly up & out of the retainer. It a slighty snug lift up it will come up enough for you to access the drain on the bottom of the fuel filter. Placing a small catch can under the filter assembly ...you can then turn open the drain valve. With the drain open you can draw off about 3-4 oz. of fuel. Then close the drain, and examine the fuel sample for signs of water. If you see small globules of water ( Which I seriously doubt you will find any)....continue draining untill you have a clean sample. IF every thing looks good after the first sampl draw....simply wipe any excess fuel from the body of the filter assembly and reinstall. Slip the filter back into the retainer and tighten the phillips screw. Your Done.
If for some odd reason you do have a water issue, drain the filter assembly, re-install the filter assembly, and then you will have to prime the filter assembly if it is empty. Simply remove the fuel line coming from the filter ( its the line that is clear plastic tubing) and using something to draw a vacume you will suck fuel back into the filter to refill it.

I doubt that you will find this step nessassery because so far water has not been a common problem....do the sample check...re-install the filter..then start your car....there is enough fuel in the filter to run the eng. and it will refill by it self...you're all done.

Mad Milo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Originally posted by TDiRoy:
How do I get my signature to include my car info. I tried to include it, but it ain't working!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It doesn't include info from your profile. You just type it as your sig.

TDiRoy

Each time you post? I filled out the signature block in my profile, but it doesn't appear below for some reason! Nevermind! Found it at the bottom of the "post a reply screen" Thanks though!