09 Jetta Interior Door trim coming off.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
Hi all,

Has anyone else notice this issue. All my door trims had degraded and are separating front he door panel, I'm talking about the leather looking section near the armrest. There seems to have a sponge looking foam similar to the car interior roofs of old that would sag. this foam seems to have degraded and no longer holds the trim to the panel. At first look all seems normal but on one door theres a bubble and on all doors I easily pull this trim off, luckily it is staying in place for now.

Has anyone else seen this? I always try to avoid parking on the sun, and Always had dark tints and use sun shades on the windshield.

What a crappy design. that and the fuel cap plastic string that also disintegrated a while back, and the lumbar support that has never worked has me questioning the quality on these cars. :(

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
Wow, I have not experienced any of that. I am thinking that perhaps it is the heat in Florida as opposed to up here in the Great White North.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
Noticing more parts disintegrating on me.

Beside the 4 door trims.

besides the plastic string holding the fuel cap (first thing to go years ago)

Roof liner is falling on all 4 pillar corners. its shrinking and disintegrated foam under it is exposed.

Clutch pedal rubber came off. rubber is oozing and brittle.

buttons on the roof lights are blistering.

rubber under interior door handle and by the trim on the shifter is becoming sticky. This is probably the same ozzing of oil out of the rubber/plastic.

trunk lid has a rubber that the wires for the brake lights run through it, that rubber is brittle and cracked.

I guess this is making the buyback decision much easier :(

Diesel Larry

TDI
'09 Jetta
An older post, I see, but thought I would add my two cents - if anything to let others know they are not alone.

I also have the same part of the interior door trim falling off. It started with the right rear door, and now I am noticing the right front door looking like it is separating internally.
The headliner started shrinking about a year ago. It started out behind the visors, spread to the overhead lights/storage compartment, and then the driver's pillar on top. A few weeks ago, the rear roof light lost its surrounding liner.

The handle on the driver's door started to bubble a year or more ago...but wasn't too noticeable until lately.
Maybe 5 years ago the coating came off of the shift boot... but that seems normal wear, as I touch that area often while shifting.

My clutch pedal has kept its rubber, but my brake pedal has not.

The rubber tube that is connected to the trunk lid has also deteriorated.

Oh.. and every so often, the sunroof opens up. Sometimes after it is parked, sometimes while I am driving it opens and closes on its own - might have to resort to holy water to exorcise that. :D

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
An older post, I see, but thought I would add my two cents - if anything to let others know they are not alone.

I also have the same part of the interior door trim falling off. It started with the right rear door, and now I am noticing the right front door looking like it is separating internally.
The headliner started shrinking about a year ago. It started out behind the visors, spread to the overhead lights/storage compartment, and then the driver's pillar on top. A few weeks ago, the rear roof light lost its surrounding liner.

The handle on the driver's door started to bubble a year or more ago...but wasn't too noticeable until lately.
Maybe 5 years ago the coating came off of the shift boot... but that seems normal wear, as I touch that area often while shifting.

My clutch pedal has kept its rubber, but my brake pedal has not.

The rubber tube that is connected to the trunk lid has also deteriorated.

Oh.. and every so often, the sunroof opens up. Sometimes after it is parked, sometimes while I am driving it opens and closes on its own - might have to resort to holy water to exorcise that. :D
Thanks for the post, sorry to hear I'm not the only one, I was able to solve all these issues last year by selling the car back ��
Been driving a 98 tacoma which interior has none of these issues...hmm
Still looking for a replacement, a BRZ might be it for me.

Last edited:

Diesel Larry

TDI
'09 Jetta
The one that bothers me the most (besides the floppy headliner) is the wires going to the trunk lid. How does one replace that? I might just put some kind of split loom around it for now.
A Tacoma is quite a bit different than Jetta, isn't it.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
The one that bothers me the most (besides the floppy headliner) is the wires going to the trunk lid. How does one replace that? I might just put some kind of split loom around it for now.
A Tacoma is quite a bit different than Jetta, isn't it.
Heavy duty electrical tape?

Toyota in general yes, quite different, like their choice of materials is much better. We have a 2004 Rav 4 and the plastic line holding the gas cap is still intact, along with the interior plastics etc. That is 3 times as long as the VW crap.
BTW pulled the trigger on a BRZ with performance package liking it so far :D