Installing 4motion into '15 Sportwagon TDI

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
Hello,

I was thinking about this for the past couple of weeks. I'm about to purchase a 2015 sportwagon TDI in the next month or so and was looking for an AWD model. As all of you probably already know, AWD wasn't offered until 2017, and no TDI's were offered after 2015.

My question is, do you think it would be possible to retro-fit an AWD system into the 2015 TDI - seeing as the transmissions are most likely going to be the same, or am I wasting my time even considering it?

Thanks in advance :)

Daks

TDI
golf
Hello,

I was thinking about this for the past couple of weeks. I'm about to purchase a 2015 sportwagon TDI in the next month or so and was looking for an AWD model. As all of you probably already know, AWD wasn't offered until 2017, and no TDI's were offered after 2015.

My question is, do you think it would be possible to retro-fit an AWD system into the 2015 TDI - seeing as the transmissions are most likely going to be the same, or am I wasting my time even considering it?

Thanks in advance :)
Anything is possible if you have the right amount of $$$, but in general, no, it won't be an easy fit.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Anything is possible if you have the right amount of $$$, but in general, no, it won't be an easy fit.
I can't find a link but someone swapped an entire Golf R drivetrain and interior into a MK6 JSW. The thread is on golfmk6.com. It was nuts.

You need both $$$ AND lots and lots of time and knowledge.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Would love to see it.

The bodies are the same right ? I think I've also read that the transmission is the same , but with a block off plate where the 4motion system would connect.

Is the rear differential computer controlled ? If so, that would be tricky

I'm sure there will be some Alltracks or 4motions sliding off an icy road ready to be totaled in the next year or so..

maybe easier than swapping a tdi into a 4motion car..

if it could be done for $4k, sign me up

Last edited:

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Wouldn't we run into the same problem as with MK4 & MK5? Rear diff/haldex doesnt fit underneath in the back. Thought that was why it was always done as 4motion tdi engine swap. Not tdi, 4motion swap.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Won't it be easier to swap the TSI engine in the MK7 wagon with 4 motion to the EA288 engine? Along with the fuel tank/line, emission system, adblue stuff, interior instrument panel ...etc. or no less emission stuff transplant if one does an delete/tune.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I thought about doing this with the Beetle but there are other cars I would rather build with AWD.

There are are some TT TDI swaps that seemed to go pretty well but those are older generation (maybe ALH era) engines swapped into the TT.

There is some much to change and modify to get an AWD setup to fit into a FWD car.

Garrison, why not give the guys at HPA a call and talk to them about your plans. They can certainly give you some idea what you need to do and what you will possibly run into.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/index.html

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm sure it could be done, but would be an expensive royal pita. You'd have to replace the entire rear suspension, fuel tank, find a place for DEF tank or delete, and figure out all of the wiring/module/ecu issues. And you could kiss the warranty goodbye. I'd sooner learn to love the gas version.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Alltrack has a different fuel tank (15 gal) than the NA TDI to take into rear diff and rear subframe. I'd be curious what part number the euro TDI 4Mo has, prob same tank as the alltrack, just different lift pump.

Anything can be done, there are scads of TDI Alltracks running around in eurolands, coding is where the money/time would be spent.

An owner sliding in a GTI 2.0 into an Alltrack has been slowly working on the conversion for the the past 2 months. ECU/Cluster and reporgraming all BCM to look for the new VIN of the ECU.

If i had more money than brains I'd grab a wrecked EA288 and slide it into the Alltrack in a heart beat, I'd bike to work for the duration of the job just to get it done. Alas i'd prob settle for a IS20 GTI turbo and and tune and be looking at 260HP.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now that's a build!!!! even if it is a gasser, impressed.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
MBQ platform should be able to accept the 4motion parts without ANY mods...
Yes issues with electronics and moving the DEF tank, but everything should bolt in without the need for cutting and welding floors. The captive nuts should all be there.
It would be easier to do a diesel wagon then swap the diesel over for emission compliance and such. In fact I think the bevel gear could be added to the stock tdi transmission so long as the rear diff ratio matches.
This is not a promise, but reading up on MBQ everything is the same just parts added.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Who the heck cares about emissions? If you're swapping components that was never designed/tested to meet emissions standards in the first place you won't be compliant anyways.

Just my two cents.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
In this area engine swaps must be newer then the vehicle or no go. We have testing....it is not that thorough but still something to deal with

Biggu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW PANA/ NAV
Honestly, I just want to convert my DSG to 6 speed. adding in 4 motion would be a plus but I really miss having manual.

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
Thanks for the awesome post Clacker - I had forgotten about the universality of the MQB platform. Would be interesting to find a totaled all track or 4WD sportwagen!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
just make sure you also get the fuel tank of that 4Mo, a lot of difference under the rear suspension between the two different platforms.

Extreme VW

TDI
mk7 GSW
OP, so i attempted to do an IRS swap in my mk7 tdi and found man differences to my dismay and ended up not doing the swap after purchasing all parts needed

(please be mindful this is the findings on my particular chassis, others may be different)

1) Rear subframe forward mount is not there (no biggie i thought)
Was working on a TSI and got part number for mount. Ordered and got from Germany

2) Rear spring upper perch. The subframe mount protrudes into the perch, not allowing spring to properly seat. Was going to mod mount and then noticed spring perch is in different location when comparing TDI vs TSI

3) Fuel tank filler and subframe mount try to share same space

Theres a host of other parts the are different between the two but I could easily get parts or rework existing. Obviously def tank has to be removed

I could probably mod subframe and make my own mounts but that takes away the OEMness i was going for

If anyone feels compelled as to take over project DM me as Im going to sell parts cheap

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a lot of differences that's why I think a 4Mo to TDI would be easier.

I did see a IRS from a GTI listed for $400 on facebook, control arms, spinals, subframe pretty much everything but shocks springs and sway bar.

Extreme VW

TDI
mk7 GSW
I saw same post and replied with I have the same parts available, plus aluminum hubs, a 4mo subframe, and AirLift control arms