BWS TDi into an '86 Vanagon...

86Vanotdi

TDI
VW vanagon conversion
Hello All,
This is my first post on the forum. I'm in the final stages of a FAS (forigen auto supply) GEN.V turn key diesel engine install. I'm going to need some direction for working with an OBDII/ VAGcom system. The instructions state that I will need to erase initial start up codes and preform basic functions of throttle body adaptation. The FAS GEN. V system uses VAGcom specific or equivalent VW style (5051-5052) scan equipment. Everything I just stated was directly from the instructions that come with the kit I've installed.
My only other conversion was a Subaru OBDI 2.2 so I'm not familiar with using scan equipment. So the help I need is to determine what scan equipment I need and what to expect when I turn the key for the first time.
The engine is a BSW 1.9 SOHC Pumpe duse. BSW on ASZ injection with DBW. I don't realy understand any of those letters but I was asked those questions by another source I was getting guidance from.
Anyone with advice would be great to help me get my conversion running. Thanks , GreggK

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
You won't need to do a throttle body adaption, that will happen automatically. On gassers you can hear the stepper motor go through the actions on first power up. The ladder (clearing faults) is just to clear whatever was in the ECU before. A good idea, but won't stop it from running.

86Vanotdi

TDI
VW vanagon conversion
Two years later and I have the conversion up and running. It really was an easy task to clear the codes for the initial start up. Thanks again for the input.