Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I thought about posting earlier that Tin Man was exaggerating when he said your posts were abusive. Now I agree with him. I don't know what minds you think you'll ever change if you call people who think differently morons and monsters. You might want to reconsider that strategy. Fools fuel isn't helpful either.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oh there's no doubt he's abusive, but he's the typical example of his type. We shouldn't be surprised by this. The zealots of the world. Everyone is a moron that doesn't agree.

I find it somewhat comical. "ManBearPig!" :D

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
"Because physics"? You call that a counter-argument?
Did you read the next two sentences? 'Cause I kinda explained it...

I find it somewhat comical. "ManBearPig!" :D
Did you catch the sequel?

Oh there's no doubt he's abusive,
The word you're looking for is 'exasperated'.... 2+2 = 4. That's not a matter of opinion. If you think it's 5 that's not a 'disagreement'... you're a moron. Opinion and Fact are not synonyms.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
I'm going to enjoy the test drive on this 230k mile ALH a wee bit more knowing you are exasperated. May even drive it a bit more than I have to, not just to be sure the A/C is once again icy cold. :)

This moron loves his diesels. :D

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
This moron loves his diesels. :D
Cleary; But a love built on misguided ideology and willful ignorance.

Wish I could take back the 8 years I served for you in the USN. People like you are pathetic and truly make me regret my service..... time wasted on a country intent on destroying itself.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Good, now are you ready to go on another pout fest, Greta? :rolleyes:

I just wish you'd take back all the time you spent here.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeesh, that escalated quickly. I'm going to have to agree with IBW on this- poo flinging is not going to win over many converts. These are difficult times, and a little kindness and compassion go a long way. The late John Lewis set an example that we should all strive to live up to.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Hahaha exactly. I've been reading and trying to add to this thread for a while now, and stopped for a while because of this kind of Zealot nonsense. I thoroughly enjoy my diesel Q5. However I am also someone who TOWS, and therefore an EV doesnt fit my requirements. As I can drive 400ish miles towing in my diesel. In a model X for example I might get over 100 - 150 depending ( see the fast lane car on youtube ) for an example. Also the charging infrastructure isn't that great for non-Tesla vehicles once you get into NH,upper Vermont etc..m they're working on it but it's not there yet.

So I decided that next year I'd look into getting the Q5 phev. It should pollute the same or slightly less when I tow or go on long trips. But for the majority of my trips it will significantly reduce my carbon footprint. I drive 14000 miles annually and average 28 mpg according to fuelly. I've estimated that with the PHEV that number should be in the high 50s to low 60s or literally half or less what I do now and on a fuel that pollutes less, all the advantages, none of the disadvantages of a full BEV for me, no lack or loss of anything. Just everything gained. Going from 365 g/mi of CO2 down to around 120 g/mi literally on track with pure EVs. ( all power will be from my own solar install).

I guess my point is I don't fit in your BEV box but I can concede that a PHEV will work well for me, and the point is this: we all can make good decisions that improve the environment without just switching to BEV. How about adding insulation to your house, installing a solar array, recycling more, figuring ways to drive less, use a bicycle, tele commute for work if you can, etc..etc...etc... the problem is far beyond every person's choice for personal transportation. The two biggest polluters are energy generation, and transportation. Find ways to cut any of these down, and do carbon capture, and commission farmers to line their fields which captures carbon, and plant trees, and and and and and.... not one solution... we need all solutions equally.....

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Why we tolerate someone who clearly wants nothing to due with TDIs that makes rude obnoxious posts and insults well respected TDI mechanics who help people everyday I have no idea.

AntonLargiader

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '03 Jetta wagon
Hmmm, I'm seeing someone who wants nothing to do with EVs playing games and thinking his ideas should be adopted by those who do like EVs, in a thread that is specifically about EVs.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...on a site founded by and for VW diesel enthusiasts. I think a bit of tact is needed in explaining why we can't continue polluting the atmosphere with carbon. However intelligent the messenger may be.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
...on a site founded by and for VW diesel enthusiasts. I think a bit of tact is needed in explaining why we can't continue polluting the atmosphere with carbon. However intelligent the messenger may be.
I'm sorry, but I called the messenger's bluff and would yours if I cared. No-one here expects EV's not to replace ICE to some extent and even to a large extent if its not economic suicide or freedom killing.

Letting poor people benefit from free solar electricity, which would benefit towards faster adoption of EV's, was a theoretical game that enraged someone who really was just making an ego festival out of EV's, carbon and climate change, again, something no-one spoke against, but he/she/it evidently doesn't really care.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He wasn't enraged by the idea of free solar electricity for the poor. I think he was feeling frustrated by the unwillingness of a small contingent to hear his clearly stated arguments. There is an urgency to our climate situation- so his passion is not misplaced. But the message needs to be delivered in a way that won't offend. Not an easy task when some folks just don't want to hear it.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
He wasn't enraged by the idea of free solar electricity for the poor. I think he was feeling frustrated by the unwillingness of a small contingent to hear his clearly stated arguments. There is an urgency to our climate situation- so his passion is not misplaced. But the message needs to be delivered in a way that won't offend. Not an easy task when some folks just don't want to hear it.
Exaggeration using made up counterarguments is what was offered, and was not equivalent to "clearly stated arguments." If so urgent, opposing a proposal to increase the market for used EV's, at least in theory, shows the true nature of their motivation wasn't global betterment, but Gore-ish self promotion and Patrician hypocrisy.

We all make mistakes. Let's move on.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Abusive? Possibly. Excessively argumentative? I think so.

Let's all take a breather from this particular sub-topic.

My advice: if you want to change how people decide, develop a 'no brainer' option for them. In other words, get busy starting your own EV company selling affordable, clean EV's. And no, Tesla ain't there yet. In my opinion, they never will be. It's clear to me that as long as Elon leads Tesla, there is zero intent to make an affordable EV. So, start your own competitive company and keep in mind the median household income, and engineer to that price point.

In America, that means you have to set the price point around $23,000 with 'average' options, by my affordability index (no more than 7% of gross income on spent on car payment, with a 6 year term).

So, less haranguing and get cracking building us that car, yo?

PS: engineering and building actual things is about 1000x harder than software coding ;) Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.