What Oil for MK7 Golf?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Scooper, manuals are for sissies.

Thanks very much, Don.

I’m very familiar with MK4 oil. Are there any 507 oils readily available at places like Autozone?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Pep Boys should have the 507 Mobil1 ESP. It's cheaper to get it delivered from an online vendor though. Better selection of oils too. I can't imagine Pep Boys will stock the 507 mobil1 for much longer- now that most of the tdi's are off the road.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I want to have some extra on hand. Is it the 507 spec.? Which viscosity range?Thanks.
If you just want one quart to have on hand your dealer is the best bet. If you want to have enough to do an oil change........well online oil change kits with a filter are going to be your best buy. No Autozone does not carry 507.00 5w30 spec oil

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...Are there any 507 oils readily available at places like Autozone?
Like turbobrick said, Mobil 1 ESP 507 Spec. oil should be available at your FLAPS. There's also idparts down the road from you in Pembroke. They carry a few brands of 507 oil.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
You have the oil sorted out but I'd strongly suggest a spin through the manual. There is a thread in the MK7 TDI forum of "neat things you didn't know your car did" and I swear, nearly every single "thing" is in the manual. :D

Enjoy the new ride, TDI life is the best life. :)

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Last edited:

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
The Google search shows many oils that don’t list the soecs. Does Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Euro 5W30 meet 507?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Man you need to help yourself a little at least. Use the second link and go to post 3. Almost all the work has already been done for you.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I know some guys use Rotella T6 5W/40.
Rotella T6 is a good oil for older TDIs, but it is NOT a low SAPS oil. Therefore it is not good for the emissions systems in our CR diesels. T6 would probably be acceptable AFTER an emissions delete.

Have Fun!

Don

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't lose any sleep if Rotella 5w-40 was used. It only has marginally more sulfated ash than the 507 oils. The CJ-4 5w-40 oils weren't specified for the older tdi's either, but UOA's have shown they perform very well in those cars.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The CJ-4 5w-40 oils weren't specified for the older tdi's either, but UOA's have shown they perform very well in those cars.
The ash level in the older cars was of no concern at that time, ie. no dpf. UOA's just tell you how well the oil is performing as far as wear in your engine is concerned not how your emission system might be performing. Just like burning coal to heat your home was not an issue when the change to natural gas came about but things got alot cleaner and many burned coal until it was no longer available to them .. Don't compare old to new it ain't the same.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ash level in the older cars was of no concern at that time, ie. no dpf. UOA's just tell you how well the oil is performing as far as wear in your engine is concerned not how your emission system might be performing. Just like burning coal to heat your home was not an issue when the change to natural gas came about but things got alot cleaner and many burned coal until it was no longer available to them .. Don't compare old to new it ain't the same.
507 oils are the safe choice for cr tdi's. I was envisioning a scenario where T6 was used in a common rail. In that scenario I'd run it out to 10k miles, and then go back to a 507 oil. And not fret over it. Most of the cr tdi's consume very little oil, so one interval with >1% SAPS oil shouldn't have dire consequences. FCA apparently decided engine protection was more important than dpf protection when they issued the recommendation to use T6 on their dpf equipped diesels.