2014 TDI won't turn over starter

bdrtina

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SEL
I have a 2014 Jetta TDI that satside for a week while I was away for work. I installed a FrostHeater plugin just for the purposes of having a way of plugging it in over winter and it was plugged in being that it was below freezing most of the week. I went to go start it for the first time after getting back and it ran for a couple seconds then quit and it almost sounded like a fuse or relay popped. I went to start it again and when I turned the ignition to start, nothing happens. It doesn't try to turn over at all. I figured the battery was bad being the original battery so I installed a new one even though the original tested fine. I tried to find the schematics for the starting system online but was unable to find anything of relevance for a TDI. I went through all the fuses and made sure they were good by testing continuity and seeing if they had power when they were supposed to but still didn't come up with anything. Since it was outside, I can only stand the cold so long so I didn't have a chance to check any relays. Is there anyone who has ran into this before? I'm hoping my starter isn't shot but I'm kind of thinking it is unless there are any recommendations to check something.

Thank you for any help!

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have a 2014 Jetta TDI that satside for a week while I was away for work. I installed a FrostHeater plugin just for the purposes of having a way of plugging it in over winter and it was plugged in being that it was below freezing most of the week. I went to go start it for the first time after getting back and it ran for a couple seconds then quit and it almost sounded like a fuse or relay popped. I went to start it again and when I turned the ignition to start, nothing happens. It doesn't try to turn over at all. I figured the battery was bad being the original battery so I installed a new one even though the original tested fine. I tried to find the schematics for the starting system online but was unable to find anything of relevance for a TDI. I went through all the fuses and made sure they were good by testing continuity and seeing if they had power when they were supposed to but still didn't come up with anything. Since it was outside, I can only stand the cold so long so I didn't have a chance to check any relays. Is there anyone who has ran into this before? I'm hoping my starter isn't shot but I'm kind of thinking it is unless there are any recommendations to check something.

Thank you for any help!

Have you checked for:
Intercooler Icing ? Hydrostatic Lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdrtina

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SEL
Not yet. I'm going to get it in a heated shop this morning and start checking. I didn't have anything to pull it into the shop with.

bdrtina

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SEL
I got the car in the shop and warmed up but still nothing. I checked the starter and it has 12v constant to supply the starter and 12v going to the solenoid to activate it when the key is turned to the start position. The weird thing that is happening is none of the lights dim or anything when trying to start it so it's almost like it's not putting out the amps to start. I'm waiting on a call back from the VW dealer to see what their thoughts are but I'm almost thinking it's the solenoid for the starter. Am I thinking right?

Thank you for any help.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I got the car in the shop and warmed up but still nothing. I checked the starter and it has 12v constant to supply the starter and 12v going to the solenoid to activate it when the key is turned to the start position. The weird thing that is happening is none of the lights dim or anything when trying to start it so it's almost like it's not putting out the amps to start. I'm waiting on a call back from the VW dealer to see what their thoughts are but I'm almost thinking it's the solenoid for the starter. Am I thinking right?

Thank you for any help.

Could be?

You can try taking out the glow plugs and then try to start it. If the motor spins with water coming out of the glow plug holes you found your problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdrtina

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SEL
Had it taken to a VW dealer and said the starter is shot. They also noticed there was icing in the intercooler so they are going to replace both for free since the car is under warranty. Thanks for the help!

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Had it taken to a VW dealer and said the starter is shot. They also noticed there was icing in the intercooler so they are going to replace both for free since the car is under warranty. Thanks for the help!

I was going to tell you to take the starter out & bench tested but long as they figured it out and no cost to you
Great!
Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited: