Saturday Morning Timing Belt

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Mickey what we are resetting is the timing of the cam as it relates to the crank thats all. The injection timing is another setting unto itself. Think of the order this way Set the cam and crank timing then set the injection timing. Because of the relatively short distance between the crank and cam pulley the amount of stretch over the life of the belt won't change it much, but since the length of belt will only vary a small amount they used the compression fitting on the cam to compensate for lets say a half tooth off. This way the cam and crank are in perfect timing thus the reason they used such a short run between the crank and pulley.

DB

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
hey I think I am getting it now.

You keep the crank lined up with the Flywheel mark and the cam lined up withthe feeler gauge thingy.

The pump though - locking it down should keep it the same then you just adj the timing on the pump to fix it all.

Makes perfect sense.

However I still think marking it would be okay cause you are concerned with the Number of teeth between the pump and such to line it all up.

Thanks Pete, this makes more sense now . . . I still feel good about my mark and pray change at 40k miles. Next time though maybe I'll get the tools. . .

saved4sure

OK Mickey,
What's your take on Drivbiwire? Sounds like he knows a little bit here. My 98 cranked right up and I don't notice any loss of power etc. Perhaps there'll be a loss of efficiency (Mileage), but we'll have to wait and see.

M

mickey

I think he's not right in the head. Plus his nose is crooked, and he smells bad.

-mickey

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
I have a deep appreciation for reliability what can I say?

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
If you do the mark and pray with a new belt you cold be off on the cam timing as much as one tooth (if you don't reseat the cam). I doubt you would notice it until the belt stretches.

Later on if you notice symptoms associated with bad timing you will then check the timing and realize it's well within the normal range. This will complicate the troubleshooting process down the road "IF" you start to have problems with power and smoothness.

I can say that you won't bend any valves by being off on the cam timing, given one or two teeth.

DB