93 Euro Poptop 2.5 Auto - 98 Jetta AHU 5spd Conversion?

timmyc4

TDI
2013 Passat, 2006 Jetta w/Malone, 97 Passat Sedan TDI, 88 Jetta N/A
Alright, I've read every thread I can see on this and call me stupid, but this isn't my FIRST Rodeo on conversions. AND yes I know it's PROBABLY easier to get a Manual 5spd van from the start... I also just completed my 85 Ranger Factory DIESEL 4x4 transplant into an 87 Rust Free Ranger... Lots of mods. But works NICE ! I also have had MANY TDI's with Malone tunes for speed etc.
All the above said, so you know I DO have SOME Experience..... back to the original question I have...
Since I have BOTH of these vehicles already, with LOTS of Mods, could I not just transfer EVERYTHING to the Euro T4, I mean has this not been done?
Here are my basics:
93 Euro T4 = pd $500 5cyl 2.5 175k/Runs, but engine shot, bad cyl/Tranny on last leg - leaks
98 Jetta = pd $300 AHU/5spd 175k, Runs good need TB/New Clutch pack/Malone tune, and all that of course.....
Being the T4 is an AUTO, has ANYONE, or in some way, could I with mods (Clutch Pedal/Engine/Tranny Mounts), transplant the ENTIRE drive train from the Jetta into the Eurovan? Or...yea am i (look at my avatar) just NUTS?
Name a tool, I probably have it!
Just seems to me, with mods to the CV's OR using the Jetta's etc it could be done?
:cool:

Last edited:

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
This has been done many many times. The T4 was available in Europe with a 1.9TD engine, so you'd want all the install bits from one of those (talk to Frans). There are lots of 5 speed '93 EVs over here, so the pedal and shifter assemblies are relatively plentiful, as are the transmissions. Someone with more direct experience should be able to tell you how the stock gasser trans ratios work with the tdi; they might not be optimal.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender TDI(AHU) converted 2/2016, 93 Eurovan MV TDI(1z)(sold!)
I think you'd be looking at a lot more work than necessary trying to adapt the Jetta transmission and controls to the Eurovan, when you can bolt on a transmission and controls factory made for the van. If you did try, you would need to overcome the angle that the engine attaches to the jetta transmission. The Eurovan engine compartment is intended for a forward tilted engine as opposed to a rear angle. Also, the axles lengths and if they bolt to the hubs. I think you could work around any other obstacle.

Yes, if you did start with a manual van, you could bolt on your engine and fabricate the rest of what you need to get up and running. The stock gasser ratios will be painfully short though, with swapping out the 5th gear to something taller as a fix for highway speeds.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Oops, I missed the entire drivetrain part. Yeah, not worth it. I'm not sure about the manuals, but the differential in my VR6 EV is physically much larger than the diff in the 01M from the donor Jetta for my TDI Vanagon.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Pretty straightforward swap by and I did one a few years ago. You definitely want to upgrade the turbo and injectors as well as get a good tune. I recommend sourcing all the parts from Frans at Dutch auto parts. You need the proper EV Tranny and shifter bits as well as a different oil pan.