Any tuning available for 2013 passat TDI?

Turbobruce

TDI
2013 Passat tdi sel
I just bought my Passat TDI last month and was wondering if there is any tuning available for it. I have a Chevy diesel that I have 500hp to the rear wheels tuned with EFI live and it gets great mpgs as well, so I familar with how diesels respond to correct tuning. I'm looking for maybe 30-50 hp with some mpg benefits for everday commuting. Are my expectations too high for this application? Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

Last edited:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Are you concerned with your warranty?

Any tune can be detected by VW. They get irritable if it is when you need warranty work.

Remember this is a car so the rules are changed. Truck stuff has limited use here. Just to let you know. Our ole '96 6 cyl truck gets 670 ft lbs of TQ.....

Turbobruce

TDI
2013 Passat tdi sel
Are you concerned with your warranty?

Any tune can be detected by VW. They get irritable if it is when you need warranty work.

Remember this is a car so the rules are changed. Truck stuff has limited use here. Just to let you know. Our ole '96 6 cyl truck gets 670 ft lbs of TQ.....

I may wait until warranty is out. I'm more curious than anything right now. Yeah my truck has over 900 ft lbs of torque in the 500hp tune. It gets scary when the 33 inch tires go up in smoke at 40 mph when I mash the throttle. :D

Last edited:

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
There are as you will find just by looking 5+ or so tuners that have good references.

Start reading the newer cars have different requirements than the older cars as I have.

So you tow with all that torque? I can get 22 mpg with a LIGHT foot oops toe!.

Turbobruce

TDI
2013 Passat tdi sel
There are as you will find just by looking 5+ or so tuners that have good references.

Start reading the newer cars have different requirements than the older cars as I have.

So you tow with all that torque? I can get 22 mpg with a LIGHT foot oops toe!.

I have a Edge controller with five EFI Live tunes loaded in my ECU. I have a 50 hp tow tune(700+ torque) that I use to tow my 12k 5th wheel. I usually drive around in the 80hp tune for mileage. The tranny prefers the 80hp tune over the 200hp one.:eek: I can get 20mpg on the highway if I stay under 75.

Last edited:

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Sound like your Dura Max is ready............

20 mpg is really good for your rig.

Turbobruce

TDI
2013 Passat tdi sel
Sound like your Dura Max is ready............

20 mpg is really good for your rig.

Considering it has a 4 inch lift I would agree. I hand calculate every fillup too. I average 15 in town. I did put 4.10 gears in it to counter the 33 inch tires I have on it. Efi live is awesome tuneing for the Duramax! I wish EFI do tuneing for VW's.

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
We haev competent tuners here. TDIs are a small niche compared to the trucks. People are starting to get the hint on the cars but we do not have much of a choice here. Not all of us have 50K+ for MB/BMW..

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
We haev competent tuners here. TDIs are a small niche compared to the trucks. People are starting to get the hint on the cars but we do not have much of a choice here. Not all of us have 50K+ for MB/BMW..
Well chevy leaves most of there ecu open with very little security thus why efilive is so usefull on them. TDI are much more complex i am told that have security intergrated all the way down to the individual mapping areas.. unless i am wrong someone correct me.. like my corvette i wanted to install zr1 cam and the dealership was able to flash the fual map for that cam in less then 20 minutes on my car and still keep my full warranty cause i was using performance oem parts.. if only vw did this.. for my corvette there are superchargers and such that are in the chevy oem racing catalog that will put me around 700hp that still retain factory oem warranty....

Also tuning is no longer as bad as you think... i have alot of friends that work at local vw shop and because VWOA has authorized APR inhouse tuning at all VW dealerships that choose to invest in the equipment from APR and still keep there warranty has relaxed alot of things. They cannot tell which tuner is tuned on your car really as they are not trained for that.. The local vw dealerships by me will actually try to sell you APR tunes on your brand new 0 milage vw before it leaves the dealership as part of a performance package they offer.. along with the apr intake and cat back stuff... all they do is put your info in the computer, hook it up to the obd and then walla you are tuned from the vw dealership.. they dont get to mess with any of the actual tuning aspects thus why apr has been marketing that they can tune your car dsg tdi without a dsg tune. They tune it conservatively enough that it doesnt make vw not warranty your car.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Also tuning is no longer as bad as you think... i have alot of friends that work at local vw shop and because VWOA has authorized APR inhouse tuning at all VW dealerships that choose to invest in the equipment from APR and still keep there warranty has relaxed alot of things. They cannot tell which tuner is tuned on your car really as they are not trained for that.. The local vw dealerships by me will actually try to sell you APR tunes on your brand new 0 milage vw before it leaves the dealership as part of a performance package they offer.. along with the apr intake and cat back stuff... all they do is put your info in the computer, hook it up to the obd and then walla you are tuned from the vw dealership.. they dont get to mess with any of the actual tuning aspects thus why apr has been marketing that they can tune your car dsg tdi without a dsg tune. They tune it conservatively enough that it doesnt make vw not warranty your car.

Check APR website. All I I saw was for gassers. No diesel tunes for the B7 Passat. Am I wrong???