Let me introduce myself

mkiii88turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf GLS, 97 Passat
Hi. My fiance and I just bought a 04 Golf GLS with the Cold Weather package and ESP. Hopefully it will be in soon cause we are planning a trip to CA (from Iowa) in March...

Anyway. This is the first Volkswagen that I have owned, as I grew up in a Japanese car family. For my fiance this is her third. Her first an 86 Jetta Diesel was a hand-me-down from her father. When the odometer stopped it had 238K on it. That was about four years before they got rid of it. And the only reason they got rid of it was because the body around the windshield was rusting away. (My father-in-law-to-be caulked the holes and they would rust right along side of the caulk. He's still bummed he had to give it up.) She now owns a 86 Jetta (just regular gas). Her father bought a 97 Passat Diesel and the entire family pretty much fights over who gets to drive it...

Anyway. We are both students at the University of Iowa and planning on getting married in June of 05. Possibly after that going to grad school in California maybe. One of the reasons we decided on the Golf was the gas mileage. Coming home for Christmas and only using 3 tanks. Damn. My father wanted me to buy a new Ford Focus but when the Golf was only a little more expensive and came with a ton more safety features, I didn't know how I could choose a Focus. (Plus as I've owned 5 Toyotas and a Honda in my short driving experience, I don't know if I could have bought a Ford...)

And looking out the window this morning I'm mighty glad we are getting the ESP as both my fiance and me fell straight on our asses this morning trying to get to the car... Solid sheets of ice aren't real cool. (After I drove her to work I couldn't even make it back to the driveway. Had to park in the street...) And the University didn't even cancel classes...

Anyway, thought I'd just say hello. Wonder if anyone has any ideas on places in Iowa to get that 505.01 oil besides the dealer. I'm learning a lot about these engines already after my short stay here at the TDIClub.com...

MKIII88Turbo

Oh, if any of you guys trade live shows, so do I. (often times I find traders in the wierdest places...) Check out my list: www.phishhook.com/lists/mkiii88turbo

And don't buy shows off of Ebay! You're giving money to bad people and you can get the shows for free!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mk3, you can order 505.01 compliant oil directly from MOTUL in the LA area. I think it's around $7/L. They also have 5L containers.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
Hi. My fiance and I just bought a 04 Golf GLS with the Cold Weather package and ESP. Hopefully it will be in soon cause we are planning a trip to CA (from Iowa) in March...

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the ranks of TDI owners!
There are several good threads concerning the break-in of a new TDI engine. This is a good place to start. I don't know of anyone who has gone wrong by following Drivbiwire's recommendations.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...rt=1#Post464257