New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
Moderator Note:

Newbies, this thread is more than a decade old! It started out as a HOW TO post, but you will now find an entire HOW TO thread with links galore here: HOW TO

Since its original inception, this thread has evolved into an introduction and welcome thread. Feel free to introduce yourself here and post a picture of your car. If you have a question, feel free to browse the TDI 101 section, one of the model-specific sections, or any one of the forums on our site. :cool:

There is also a SEARCH function so you can quickly find what you're looking for - there are a number of common questions/problems that have already been discussed that you may find interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think there should be a starter post for newbies to help answer many of their initial concerns. Here is a list that I came up with that many newbies have concerns about, or should be informed about:

Take some time and read through the TDIFAQ and the forums.

Consider the EGR modification:

Who has Vag-Com and where: (They are nice people, and can help with the EGR mod)

Read up on the Break-In period . This is important, and can save you many problems down the road!

How To Drive a Stick - Shifting Points

Most recommend that you DO NOT change your oil prior to 5,000 miles:
Do not change prior to 5,000
Do not change prior to 5,000

Diesel 101

Try to use Premium Diesel

Or better yet, try BIODIESEL

Can't get premium or biodiesel, consider adding an additive:

If you are experiencing "poor" mileage:

Another Poor Fuel Economy Post

Come to a GTG and meet your fellow TDI'ers, they can help you out.

Here is a picture of the TDI engine with many important components labeled:

Some general maintenance items:

GeWilli's How To Page
GeWilli's site has lots of good information including: relay 109, MAF analysis, bulb changing (harder than it sounds), any many more!!!

Link to Useful PDF's
This links to a post with a bunch of downloadable PDF files on some procedures.

More How To's

How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change

How to change the Fuel Filter

How to clean the Snowscreen
How to clean the Snowscreen

Testing Glow Plugs

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

Intake Manifold Cleaning

MAF Failure Analysis

Some add-ons/modifications to consider:

Skidplate

Fumuto Valve

Ventectomy

Mufflerectomy

CCV Mod

Evry Mod

Custom Boost Gauge

How to Buy a Used TDI

Anyone else have something to add that all newbies should read up on? Are there better posts out there that I didn't include?

One last hint... scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the Favorite Thread link. This will add a link to your "My Home" so you always have a quick link to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
Starting post for Newbie\'s

Nice post. Maybe it can be stuck to the top for everyone to see. I'll add some links in a bit.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB

I was planning on doing something like that but only if the search engine would allow me to search my member numbers as I know some members who made good How to or have good detail information. Still waiting on that.

Good start though. Do Cheesehead think alike?

MWM

Veteran Member
TDI
Variant, 2003, Reflex Silver

I was planning on doing something like that but only if the search engine would allow me to search my member numbers as I know some members who made good How to or have good detail information.
DeafBug,

The search function has been improved (in my opinion anyway) by dropping "member numbers" and adding "by display name" in the <search option> pick list.

Another good thing to add to the newbie post would be that labeled diagram of the TDI engine which is floating around in a number of other posts.

[edit] I found it on GeWillie's site

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB

Edit to remove a long posting as the information is not significant anymore, over 3 years old.

Last edited:

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI

Any help??? I'm sure there are other posts out there that should be included. Veteran members- I know you are sick of answering virtually the same question over and over... why not pick the post with the best answer and link it?

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB

Edward, I will help but the search engine has to be the way it used to be first before I will dig up posts that are more than a year old. In the meantime, there are lots of other things I can do than sit at the computer clicking "Next" a thousand times in the search result listing since it always starts with the recent posts instead of old posts.

Ricdude

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, '03, Pt Grey, GLS

Maybe it can be stuck to the top for everyone to see.
bump+. Just for the fun of it, include the FAQ, this thread, and the search URL in the "you're registered email.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta

Looks like one of the links for the fumoto drain valve (sp?)
is dead. Could someone post alternate places to buy this
thing?

Thanks,

Jud.

lesleygirl

TDI
2003 silver New Beetle

I think this thread deserves a bump, so here it is.

I just got my TDI and I am in automotive nirvana. This car is amazing!

-lesley

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!

I love the idea.. While you're at it, maybe include a link for mufflerectomy.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora

Maybe we could consider making this posting a stiky? That way it would always be right at the top of the list for newbies to find, and we wouldn't have to waste space in this thread by bumping it. Just a thought for the Moderators.

sengert

Yup... This post is good stuff and deserves a nice BUMP to the top!

I also agree it should become a sticky, rught below the FAQ post...

Later,
Tony.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI

Well this thread has been locked for editing. I guess any further updates will be in a separate post, not on the main(front) post. I hope this thread has been useful, and has helped answer many of your basic "newbie" questions.

omgsoup

TDI
N/A

maybe add a FAQ on driving a stick, as it seems to be a popular choice of TDI owners, and not all TDI owners having previously driven a stick before/not aquainted to the quirks (i guess that's the best word) of the stick/tdi combo -aka shift points, etc.

Boobiwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS Reflex Silver

[ QUOTE ]
eschady said:
I think there should be a starter post for newbies to help answer many of their initial concerns. Here is a list that I came up with that many newbies have concerns about, or should be informed about:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an outstanding reference...Thanks for compiling this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
maybe add a FAQ on driving a stick, as it seems to be a popular choice of TDI owners, and not all TDI owners having previously driven a stick before/not aquainted to the quirks (i guess that's the best word) of the stick/tdi combo -aka shift points, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done. Hope this remains helpful for everyone.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

Nice work. I checked out your Biodiesel map and saw that you are missing the Albina Fuels/Tesoro B20 pump in Portland Oregon.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

[ QUOTE ]
Aldous Huxley said:
...Centrifugal Bumpy Bumpy...

[/ QUOTE ]
TTT for a useful thread...

-Jason

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI

Oh yes, the TDI heater is a definite luxury. It is funny how people are worried about the TDI handling the cold, yet I would venture a guess that the Great Lakes region (where it gets pretty cold) has the highest density of TDI's. It seems there is a pretty dense pocket of TDI owner's in the ONT, MN, WI, MI, IL area. Either that or they are just the most active members. Just my opinion of course. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

soccerdude55PDX

TDI
Jetta '04 Galactic Blue

I see a lot of reference of Old NAvy CCU filter... I am in the Portland Area.. have you heard of this and where do I get one?

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(

Something I didn't pick up from the EGR modification write-up: is this something you can take to a VW dealer and have them adjust? Why don't the cars come this way to begin with? Are there any other disadvantages besides an increased level of NOx? Also, are there other ways to prevent your intake manifold from clogging besides the EGR or manual cleaning (e.g. driving habits)?

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI

The dealer won't adjust for you. Find someone here on tdiclub to adjust.

My understanind of why they come set the way they are(not sure if it is true): Car manufacturers have to meet guidelines on items such as emmissions and mileage, but the guidelines are at an overall level. So by turning up the EGR on the diesels, they are allowed to pollute more on other vehilces. Adjusting the EGR on the TDI is still within the required limits on emmissions.... but overall the total emmissions from VW vehicles would now exceed the required limitation.

As far as I know, there are no negative side affects from this modification. It is strictly an emmissions control device, which unfortunately causes intake and EGR clogging. Other options include the CCV mode (listed in the post right above yours).

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

[ QUOTE ]
is this something you can take to a VW dealer and have them adjust? Why don't the cars come this way to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, tampering with something in the emissions system is against the law. Something that a dealer is not going to do if he wants to remain in business.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI

One year and 6,000+ views later... I hope this is still helpful for the newbie's (and others). I'm always looking for good threads to add to the list.