2014 Sportwagon Heater Core - second time

wjl

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
I had my heater core replaced in Dec 2017 at a dealer for a no heat in cabin issue. It was covered under Xtd warranty (bought from VW at purchase). I now have same problem, took to same dealer. They say Xtd warranty only authorize 2 flushes and they recommend 3. Core clogged again - estimate is $1600. Was never contacted during the first round to ask if I wanted an extra flush and says it's my responsibility. They did verbally tell me during first round that the clogged core was probably a result of the MOD (which I've heard from others) and I should never need it done again.

Advice?

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
someone posted a letter on here that the heater core is now covered under the dieselgate warranty. go print it out and bring it to the dealer and contact vwoa.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I had my heater core replaced in Dec 2017 at a dealer for a no heat in cabin issue. It was covered under Xtd warranty (bought from VW at purchase). I now have same problem, took to same dealer. They say Xtd warranty only authorize 2 flushes and they recommend 3. Core clogged again - estimate is $1600. Was never contacted during the first round to ask if I wanted an extra flush and says it's my responsibility. They did verbally tell me during first round that the clogged core was probably a result of the MOD (which I've heard from others) and I should never need it done again.

Advice?
VW authorizes 2 flushes? extended warranty, do this mean CPO?

What "mod" effects heater core?

thanks for posting

wjl

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Not sure what you mean by CPO. I bought an extended warranty with the car. It is provided by some company that is not VW, but you buy it at the dealership when you buy the car and they bundle the price into your payment. It extends the factory warranty. It only authorized and paid for two flushes. VW recommends 3, but they did not tell me that until after the fact. Of course, if they had called and asked if I wanted to add another flush, I would have said yes, but they didn't.

The "MOD" is the dieselgate modification and I was told at the dealership when I went in for the first heater core issue that many people had clogged heater cores after having the modification (something about dislodged debris) and that it was (at that time) not covered under the additional warranties VW provided to owners who opted for the modification. This may be bull****, but it's what they told me, and it was within 3 weeks of getting the modification.

I am looking up Wolf1389's suggestion that the heater core may now be included in the post-modification warranty that VW provided.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Not sure what you mean by CPO. I bought an extended warranty with the car. It is provided by some company that is not VW, but you buy it at the dealership when you buy the car and they bundle the price into your payment. It extends the factory warranty. It only authorized and paid for two flushes. VW recommends 3, but they did not tell me that until after the fact. Of course, if they had called and asked if I wanted to add another flush, I would have said yes, but they didn't.

The "MOD" is the dieselgate modification and I was told at the dealership when I went in for the first heater core issue that many people had clogged heater cores after having the modification (something about dislodged debris) and that it was (at that time) not covered under the additional warranties VW provided to owners who opted for the modification. This may be bull****, but it's what they told me, and it was within 3 weeks of getting the modification.

I am looking up Wolf1389's suggestion that the heater core may now be included in the post-modification warranty that VW provided.
CPO - certified previous owner. VWoA extended warrenty sold with qualified "repaired dieselgate TDI's". It sounds like yours may be aftermarket, that's why I wonder if the VW extended warranty covers any flushes.

Please let us know if/what you find on heater core coverage.