www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 13th, 2018, 18:33   #16
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Yep -- they should read low but not zero ohms. Usually when they fail they fail open, so if you get an infinite reading on one or more it's definitely dead.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 00:20   #17
UhOh
Veteran Member

Can get a GP code if there's any significant difference in resistance. It might affect actual performance, though to what extent would depend on resistance differences.

Here's the ultimate GP thread. In it I included a "trick" of stuffing foil on top of a glowpulg if it's resistance is good, harness connection clean and has requisite voltage: the connectors slowly expand such that the don't clamp on as tight as they should, causing a weak connection.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 10:08   #18
jekl843

Thanks gents for the info, I do have a multimeter somewhere and will check the resistance out over the weekend. That thread is great, really this whole forum and its members are awesome, I don't think I'd even own this car let alone do work on it without TDIClub!

The Meguiars Super Degreaser I ordered isn't coming in until Tuesday unfortunately so won't have a chance to do some serious cleaning this weekend. But at least I can put some soapy water and check GP resistance... oh yeah, and try to track down the smoke source too, lol.

Interesting tip with the foil UhOh. Maybe that's the source of the P3000 code

Will report back
jekl843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 10:08   #19
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Did you figure out the reason/cause for the smoke yet?
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 10:22   #20
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

That degreaser will be great for cleaning the engine, but if you're just looking at a small spot hit it with brake cleaner, have a small wet rag with a little soap on it and wipe off any overspray on plastic or rubber, if needed.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 17:52   #21
jekl843

Haven't had a real chance yet to work on it, last weekend I got busy and it was cold and windy (unfortunately no garage). Tomorrow looks like a balmy 40-45 in my neck of Connecticut and no plans yet so I expect a few cold Guinness' and a nice afternoon of giving some love to this poor neglected TDI are in order!

One thing I noticed is that the smoke continues a good 1-2 minutes after I shut the engine off which is making me lean towards bbexotics idea that it could be oil dripping from my leaky valve cover and hitting a hot point on the block. If I had to guess, it looks like its coming from the bolt that holds the injector bracket to the block. I wiped down the area behind the injector and it got wet again after only a short drive (she leaves a nice quarter sized oil gift wherever I park). I plan on cleaning at least around injector 4 area the best I can (thx for brake cleaner tip BobnOh) and seeing if smoke returns before the oil drips down from the VC. Right now, my primary suspect is the leaky VC.

Quick semi-related side story, when I bought the car, the owner had a few 1L bottles of Castrol 15W40 Diesel Engine Oil in the trunk and said "I was told to throw this in when the oil gets low" *slaps head*. I could tell VC was leaky, but it didn't look awful. After I got it, I immediately changed the oil and got about 3.75-4 liters of old oil in my extractor. I replaced with Total Quartz 9000 5W40 and I'm guessing the thinner oil is probably making the leak more pronounced. I've driven about 2K and check the oil weekly, it has stayed at a pretty consistent level within the hatchmarks but I plan on changing the oil soon as part of my "oil flush". A new valve cover will be on order soon as I read the ebay gasket for $25 is generally frowned upon (and that the original gasket is a PITA to remove from the VC)

I found my multimeter and still plan on soapy water test, checking the GP harness voltage and glow plugs resistances. The harness rubber looks much newer compared to the other rubber components in the engine bay so I'm thinking it was replaced in the somewhat recent past. No hack wiring job from what I can tell. But I also want to clean this whole block, it is just so damn nasty... frankly it's embarrassing!!

Lol, honestly the habits of the previous owner and whoever worked on this car completely mystifies me. The amount of old leaves, pine needles and debris that were around the engine cowl and around trunk made it look like it'd never been cleaned in its life. But then the cavity behind the fender/rocker area was completely clean and rust free. The vacuum lines were horribly frayed and leaking (especially one to turbo), but when I removed the large rubber hose from intercooler to EGR valve and shown my flashlight down there to inspect intake buildup I saw just a few mm of oily film like it'd been recently cleaned. It's like someone did a good job at fixing/maintaining the more difficult items but couldn't give a crap about the easy stuff. Boggles my mind, but it's a bonus for me!

Will report more after this weekend, I'll try to take a photo of this engine so you can understand the dirtiness I'm talking about too.

Last edited by jekl843; March 23rd, 2018 at 17:58.
Old March 24th, 2018, 17:57   #22
jekl843

well, didn't do quite what I had planned today. I removed the harness and checked the glow plugs' resistances, all were around 1.8-1.9. I flipped around the harness to look at the connectors, all had wonderful copper and it looked brand new so I didn't even bother checking the voltage. I'm not getting any GP codes and the instrument cluster GP code hasn't popped up again since I cleared it a week ago.

As I was putting the harness back, I lightly pushed a return fuel line and heard a *hissssss*. Great I thought, the source of my leak! I replaced all the return fuel lines along with the nipple on the end. The old ones were all brittle and covered in soot/oil, probably the originals. I got sidetracked by the sunny day and went to the nearby state park to run some diesel purge. Here's a pic of my setup

Then I went home and did an oil change w/ the extractor using LiquiMoly 5w40 High Tech with a new filter as part of my "oil flush". I got about a bit over 4 liters out so she's not burnin' too much after 2K. I should have checked the intercooler for oil, but at that point I got lazy, went to get some food and checked to see if the smoke was still there... Yep, still there.

I have to say that Diesel Purge is really good stuff, engine is definitely quieter and it seems to given it a bit more life. Tomorrow's another nice day and some more testing is in order!

Last edited by jekl843; March 25th, 2018 at 09:37.
Old March 24th, 2018, 18:54   #23
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Diesel Purge worked great for me. You don't need the tubing if you don't have any. I just held the lines in a cup.
ToxicDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 07:52   #24
UhOh
Veteran Member

^^^ That works until the cup goes sideways on you! I use the can itself; once had the return line pop out and in no time flat ran all the contents out on to the garage floor (the IPs can flow a good amount of fuel!) I was inside the car revving the engine and then the next thing I knew the engine was stalling out (starving for fuel).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 08:08   #25
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
^^^ That works until the cup goes sideways on you! I use the can itself; once had the return line pop out and in no time flat ran all the contents out on to the garage floor (the IPs can flow a good amount of fuel!) I was inside the car revving the engine and then the next thing I knew the engine was stalling out (starving for fuel).
I couldn't fit both lines inside the mouth of the can, and then I realized even if I could, they wouldn't reach the bottom. I made sure to seat the cup well ,and I kept a very close eye on it. I had the concerns you expressed but there was no movement.
Old March 25th, 2018, 08:57   #26
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Did you clean the outside of those hoses before submerging them in the cup?

I like to show off my Red-neck engineered Diesel Purge set-up! Works great and filters the mix. (Hoses, clean Jif Peanut Butter jar, fittings and JB Weld .. in use since 2012)

Old March 25th, 2018, 09:31   #27
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

yup. Hoses are pretty new (old one were cracked bad) and then wiped before getting dipped.
Old March 25th, 2018, 16:33   #28
jekl843

I like the diesel purge setups, especially the cup... just make sure no one drinks from it when you bring it back in

Well, Lazy Sunday Syndrome set in and I decided that cleaning the engine before replacing the valve cover would be silly so nothing engine related today. I did finally install a used fender I picked up off FB Marketplace a while back. I'd been lugging it in my trunk with the rear seats down so now I have use of my rear seats again, yay!

It was surprisingly easy to remove the bumper. The hardest part was getting the hood release latch back on and getting to those torx bits behind the wheel. One of the fender bolts was completely covered in rubbery goop too, but nothing a flat head couldn't remove. I managed to take out the fender liner without taking off the wheel or raising the car, I just turned the wheel all the way left (i'm stock suspension with stock 15" wheels so maybe that's why I had room). Looks a bit better!

Did replacing the fender clear the smoke??... nope, still there lol

I think I'll order a new valve cover this week for next weekends Jetta shenanigans... Ahh crap, I forgot the check the intercooler with the bumper off. *slaps head*
Old March 31st, 2018, 13:52   #29
jekl843

Busy day today!! Almost too many things to count... but let me list relatively cosmetic ones first:
1) Installed cupholder center console and adjusted parking brake. Also installed upgraded latch and upgraded armrest hinge (Ok, I really that that last night)
2) Installed new dogbone pendulum mount, the old one was disintegrated. Engine is much less sloppy now.
3) Had a local shop weld on a new flex pipe, no more diesel fumes in the cabin (big freakin' yay!)
4) Replaced the heatshield metal washers, the other ones had almost completely disintegrated, literally crumbled in my hand, and the heat shield was rattling against the new flex pipe (i was afraid something much worse had happened when I heard that rattling noise!)
5) Replaced windshield wiper nozzles, both of them were broken and not clipped in.

And of course installed a new valve cover. The old ones didn't seem too badly torqued but it did require some effort to take them off. I couldn't tell if the PO (or whoever worked on the car) slapped on a bunch of sealant or the old gasket was disintegrating but I had to spend a decent amount of time removing the old rubber/silicone material and cleaning the surface. After it was shiny clean, I put a dab of Permatex Ultra Black at the corners and made sure to torque the new VC back to 7 ft/lbs.

So... this is the first time I've seen a camshaft in person. Anything I need to be worried about? It looks like it's in decent shape, a little worn but is it anything to worry about? Here's what it looked like when I took it off

and after

I took it for a quick drive and it went into limp mode on the highway, luckily i had my computer and vcds with me. I got fault code 17964: Charge Pressure Control - Negative Deviation. I cleared it, and it was hissing loudly under heavy acceleration. After a quick search on here, I saw my pancake intercooler hose was disconnected from the rubber hose coming out of the turbo. I put reconnected and it was good to go, but that little U-shaped metal clip doesn't seem to be doing its job... hmm... maybe time to look at upgrading that pancake pipe.

I blasted some brake cleaner behind the injectors and it cleaned it up very nice, thanks for the tip. After a quick drive, everything was dry except for around the #4 injector. I did the soapy water test and saw some bubbles coming around the injector. Its due for a timing belt soon and I'm debating if I should just have a guru help me out and maybe even upgrade nozzles at the same time.

It's also still leaking oil... It drips off my new dogbone and also off the driver side of the oil pan. I'm starting to delve into less comfortable territory here... might be time for a good once over by a guru. The project continues on!
Old March 31st, 2018, 19:45   #30
wonneber
Veteran Member

Look at the disks under the camshaft lobes.
There should not be any spider webbing lines on them.
Lobes look OK from the picture.
There should be a slight chamfer on the edge going around which I think I see.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote