HVAC Issue(not hot when hot, not cold when cold)

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I did search around, but I wasn't able to find the info I was looking for. 2002 Jetta ALH Auto with around 150kmi at the moment. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be very descriptive of the issue.

The issue I am having with is this: the heat is not very hot and the a/c doesn't seem intense.

A/C: I don't use the a/c in the summer much, only when somebody else is in the car and they complain. The a/c seems very weak when it's on. On a hot day if the car sits in the garage and is cool inside it will maintain cooler temperature decently enough with the a/c on. If I stop and park for maybe 10 minutes(yea, the black interior doesn't help) it will not go back to how cool it was, it barely maintains cool and struggles to cool it down. If the car sat in the sun for a few hours and warmed up more inside it takes about 15 minutes till it starts feeling cool, but it doesn't go to a point where you need to turn the a/c down to just maintain temperature. If it's VERY HOT, the a/c is pretty much useless and it will take over 30 minutes to begin making a difference. Usually windows down approach helps more than the a/c. It's very weird, because it works as long as the car starts off with a cool interior. Driving at higher or lower RPMS or higher or lower gears doesn't seem to make a difference. I noticed that when the fan is on 1, 2, 3 or 4- it blows cold air, but it's not very intense and doesn't seem to "project" that air far from the vents. My A6 will turn frigid very rapidly and you can feel the cold air stream very far from the actual vents. I do realize that it's a different car, but all my other cars have been the same as the A6. The fan runs ok between 1 and 3, but when I put it to 4 something develops a very noticeable and rather harsh vibration. It's there when the motor is on and off. When I say it's harsh, its VERY harsh. It supersedes the motor shaking. I can't really see anything vibrating under the hood. I also had the system pressure tested and it seems like the low pressure and high pressure numbers are in range(sorry I don't have the actual figures) and it seems like there is the correct quantity of refrigerant.

Heat: The heat has a similar issue to the a/c. It definitely takes longer to warm up than any other car I've had. The heated seats are a big help. Again, the A6 will start "cooking" you rapidly, where as the Jetta will barely warm you up. There is no hard vibration when the fan is on either one of the modes, which leads me to believe that the harsh vibration I feel is an issue with the a/c compressor or another part of that system that rotates. The heat does get warmer if I'm driving considerably faster and get the RPM's closer to 3000-3200, but that means I end up going around 80 mph and it's likely to get me pulled over or into a crash if the roads are bad.

I am a realist and don't expect instant heat from the car(I am considering a frost heater). I don't expect it to "cook" passengers as my A6 does. From the reading that I've done it may be a blower motor resistor issue or maybe the motor itself is quite weak/worn out and cannot move as much air any more. I am more concerned with the heating component as I do not foresee any hot days coming up, so the a/c can wait. I would very much like to get the heat sorted before it starts getting very cold throughout the day and night. Any help will be greatly appreciated, sorry again for the giant post.

ssjimbo

TDI
99.5 Jetta
My 99.5 is similar. A bunch of the foam has come out of the vents. The AC works better than the heat in mine. I believe that the system is letting air in from the outside that fights with the ac/heat. I don't know that there's any easy fix to this problem.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
The foam on the blend doors is probably missing, or at least a good portion of it is.
In vw's infinite wisdom they not only put foam on the doors but they also put large holes on the doors for weight savings......real smart.

The only way to fix this is to take the entire dash apart to get down to the blend doors and recover them. I had to do this to my daughters bug, I used high temp aluminum tape rated to I believe 230-250 F.
Job isn't hard just time consuming .....took me about 10 hrs.

Vw vortex has a pretty good write up with pics.

Hopefully you have the two piece HAVC. You can take half out and work on it, otherwise you have to dump the AC .

Don't believe vw when they say only the climatic controls have one piece HAVC's, I have 4 vw's MKIV two have one piece one doesn't and haven't checked the last one, none of them are climatic control systems.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Does this issue effect the doors that control where the air goes to? Because I have started to use the heat in my 99.5 and noticed a LOT of hot air coming out the vents when its on the feet only setting. I was able to close them but now it comes out the defrost. Its really annoying to have hot air blasting in your face all the time....

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Does this issue effect the doors that control where the air goes to? Because I have started to use the heat in my 99.5 and noticed a LOT of hot air coming out the vents when its on the feet only setting. I was able to close them but now it comes out the defrost. Its really annoying to have hot air blasting in your face all the time....
It seems to be pretty even, but I will double check again.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Last edited:

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Yeah there are two doors in there.
One is for either heat or AC. The bigger is for heat /AC.
The smaller directs it to the feet , middle and to defrost.
Where should I poke around to gain access the easiest?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm looking for the long links now......vortex just crashed

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Sorry, I only rushed thru this Thread, but anyway, for what it's worth, have you changed the Cabin Filter lately?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's not hard just long.....depending on how big your hands are, you might be able to snake your hand in there with either high temp metal tape, or foam.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Open the link I posted before and you will see the missing foam on the doors.