Wheel Wobble

Magellan01

Veteran Member
At speeds over 50mph there is a wobble in the steering wheel and a noise like the tires are out of round. After investigating the problem I think the front wheel bearings are bad. There is not a squealing noise like I have had with other bad bearings on my car which makes me doubt this. After taking the front tires off there is play in the hub. When I pull on the rotor or hub it wobbles. The steering knuckle is stationary which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the bearing. Does this make sense to anyone? Tie rod ends seem find and so does the ball joint since they were not moving while I was moving the hub.

bjleger

TDI
'03 Jetta Autotragic
This is a common problem in the MkIV cars. Usually presents as a growling (sounds angry) which gets worse or better when making corners. I would replace the wheel bearing.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I recommend taking your car to www.martinbergelllc.com. He's done numerous bearing replacements.

You might want to check the control arm bushings while working on this problem, too.

Magellan01

Veteran Member
No growling and it has been awhile since the problem first started which is why I am kind of stumped.
I talked to Marty, but he won't be availble for a couple of weeks. I might be attempting to replace them with the harbor freight tools or renting some.

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
Even if it's not making noise, the looseness you described points to the bearings very strongly. I can be a lot of work - be patient.