CV Joint Replacement

ttzuke44

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI
Anyone know of a good CV Joint how to? My driver side CV joint is going out and I need to replace it. Sense I am already replacing the drivers side I was going to go ahead and replace the passengers side as well. I don't believe it should be that difficult but I have been wrong before. Had anyone done it because I am am not sure if I am going to pullers or C-clip pliers etc. and a list a tools need before getting started would be great.

Thanks for the input

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Yeah... CVs don't usually go bad in pairs... there's no reason, or time savings to replace both.

Make sure you're got the right bits to remove the bolts to the transmission. I forget if they're triple-squares, torx or allen... but they're easy enough to look at before you start. The Axle bolt requires a 30mm 12 point and a good breaker bar.

Undo the swaybar. Unbolt the lower ball joint (3, 13mm bolts), then the CV should press out with a few taps of a punch (don't mess up the threads). I have a cheap OTC press because when I did my Mk3, it was frozen in the hub, and no manner of beating could get it out.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
A loaner 3-jaw puller from your local chain auto parts store can really help get the axle out of the hub.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
ttzuke44 said:
Anyone know of a good CV Joint how to? My driver side CV joint is going out and I need to replace it. Sense I am already replacing the drivers side I was going to go ahead and replace the passengers side as well. I don't believe it should be that difficult but I have been wrong before. Had anyone done it because I am am not sure if I am going to pullers or C-clip pliers etc. and a list a tools need before getting started would be great.

Thanks for the input
If you have some miles on her it would be wise to do both at once instead of risking the other going out sahortly after and you have to do this procedure all over again.

I had one go bad, so I replaced them both at the same time. Now I don't have to worry about the other side going bad. Oh, I replace the whole axle for both sides. Not bad at all.

Oh and while you are at it I would replace the lower ball joints too. I did and now I have a great front in with all new parts not just one here and there.

Last edited: