VW (non-TDI) Inner CV Joint Disassembly

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Hoping a tdiclub member can help with this non-tdi issue. I pulled the right front axle on my 2004 VW Phaeton W12 to replace a torn inner CV boot. Getting the axle out was uneventful and easier than expected on this car that spent 13 years on the salty roads of Indianapolis and Pittsburgh, and the joint seems to be in good shape (recent tear?).

However, disassembling the joint has got me stumped. I have seen VW CV joints that have a removable plate/cover on the inner housing that allows access to the circlip on the very inner end of the shaft. However this housing appears to be a solid piece like a cup with a flange. It won't slide out the opposite end either as the ends of the race are basically staked, holding it in..

https://goo.gl/bLvew6

https://goo.gl/Zd2Exq

I'm hoping there is a TDI with this setup and I can benefit from some of the incredible knowledge on this forum. :)

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I am replacing my clutch and looking over the job in my Bentley manual. I noticed that the triple roller axles were covered by the manual, but that's not the type my 2005 New Beetle TDI has, so I didn't look at it. You might find better help for that at vwvortex.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Those are slid into the joint, and crimped in place. Lots of non-Volkswagen cars are like that too.

Some of them you can slide a new boot down the shaft from the other end, once the outer joint and boot is removed.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Those are slid into the joint, and crimped in place. Lots of non-Volkswagen cars are like that too.
Some of them you can slide a new boot down the shaft from the other end, once the outer joint and boot is removed.
That worked very well. Thanks for the suggestion.