VW changed my model year in their system

NEWARKitecture

TDI
1999 Golf TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI, 2014 Golf TDI
Short backstory...

When I bought my 2014 Golf TDI and the finance guy had me in that small office and was trying to sell me all the additional warranty stuff, he told me I had 30k Carefree maintenance included and I declined the extras because I have a great mechanic. So I go to get my 30k and they try to charge me and I lost my god damn mind... this is right when the scandal broke... and I raged out on the sales floor screaming things like "I'm going to buy a goddamn Toyota". Honestly I think I blacked out with rage for a bit. Ultimately the manager said he'd cover the 30k service.

So I calm down and turn back to my pre-hulk self. Next morning I realize they didn't rotate my tires, and I check the service receipt and its essentially just an oil change.

I got an email to fill out my survey about my service. Obviously, I left negative feedback. The sales manager emails me and we go back and forth about why I was pissed off.

Here's where it gets interesting... She keeps saying my 2013 TDI and I keep saying 2014 TDI. She sends me a screenshot of VW internal computer system showing my car as a 2013 and I send her a screenshot / photo of my owners manual and VW Credit screen showing 2014.

She has no idea why it says 2013 and can't get a reply from anyone at corporate about it. Although I'm sure they have their hands full.

Anyone else have this happen?

NEWARKitecture

TDI
yeah, it says 2014 on there too. I KNOW its a 2014, but vw has my vin internally as a 2013. the screen shot she sent me has the same vin and purchase date i have.

Prior to the scandal, all my VW paper work from service has said 2014.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
yeah, it says 2014 on there too. I KNOW its a 2014, but vw has my vin internally as a 2013. the screen shot she sent me has the same vin and purchase date i have.

Prior to the scandal, all my VW paper work from service has said 2014.
Well, at least this means that the problem is on VW's side and that you have the right car. You can hassle them to your heart's content, if you want. The good news is that the 2013 and 2014 model year cars are essentially identical, so there is no difference from a service point of view. However, from a resale point of view, it is important. It is worth hassling VW to fix their computer glitch. If they can't fix their own internal computer system, why should we trust them to fix our cars? Point this fact out to their service (or sales) manager.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Just so you know - VW changed carefree program for 2014s to not include the 30k. So your tantrum got you a goodwill service. I wonder if the dealer input that your car was a 2013 to get it reimbursed.

Last edited by a moderator:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Just so you know - VW changed carefree program for 2014s to not include the 30k. So your tantrum got you a goodwill service. I wonder if the dealer input that your car was a 2013 to get it reimbursed.
Interesting, I hadn't considered this fact. I wonder how they could do this without changing the VIN. Perhaps VW's computer system is even dumber that I had assumed.

Have Fun!

Don

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I understand the issue, but what does the 30,000 mile service not getting covered have anything to do with it? That was 3 yrs/36,000 free. You clearly were not past either of those figures. Was the first part of the story not related?

Donald

NEWARKitecture

TDI
JSWTDI09 - yeah thats exactly the point i was trying to make with the service manager. Besides the TDI scandal, if they skip some of the stuff like rotating the tires, checking the windshield wipers, and HAVING THE WRONG MODEL YEAR... how can i trust they actually used the right oil, etc etc etc...

TDiSkater - when I bought the car, the finance manager told me I had 30k carefree maintenance. I now know that's not true for a 2014... I didn't when I bought the car which is why I had a tantrum (besides being pissed about the TDI scandal and generally having a bad day). I wasnt trying to take advantage or be a dick to get something for free that i wasnt entitled to. At that moment, as far as I knew, I was entitled to a free 30k maintenance.

I just got off the phone with the service manager and I asked if it was possible someone inputted the different model year to get reimbursed. She said it was impossible, it was a computer system 100% controlled by VW corporate in germany.

dmarsingill - first part is pure backstory to establish setting and foreshadow things to come. so no, its not totally related... sorry.

NEWARKitecture

TDI
plus having the wrong year could affect bigger warranty issues further down the road.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The sticker on the driver door's frame has the date your care was actually made ;)

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
According to my dealer when I bought my car:

DSG was lifetime fill. No maintenance required
Turbo is covered under my extended warranty, even thought it says it is excluded in my policy.
There was no issue with VW and IL diesel being B11 (actually that was resolved years later)

All not true. My point is unless it's in writing it isn't always true. Especially when it comes to buying a car.

NEWARKitecture

TDI
ATR - yeah, it's definitely a 2014. VW computer is wrong / altered for some reason.

TDiSkater - yeah everything has to be in writing. Sales people will say anything to get that sale and they are rarely the most informed on specifics. I didn't even check before hand or review the documents. that's definitely on me. I was just going on what i was told verbally.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
JSWTDI09 -
TDiSkater - when I bought the car, the finance manager told me I had 30k carefree maintenance. I now know that's not true for a 2014... I didn't when I bought the car which is why I had a tantrum (besides being pissed about the TDI scandal and generally having a bad day). I wasnt trying to take advantage or be a dick to get something for free that i wasnt entitled to. At that moment, as far as I knew, I was entitled to a free 30k maintenance.
Judging by this revelation, it was messed up from the beginning. The finance manager told you about the 36k Carefree, and your service department honored them, then it was always entered as a '13. What does the title say? I wouldn't be concerned about warranty, that is based on date of purchase. Just make sure the registration matches your VIN. I would try to get it fixed, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Donald

NEWARKitecture

TDI
yeah, just called again today and its looking more and more like it was messed up from the beginning. Everything on my car, registration, and dealer sales records show a 2014. But VW corporate computer still shows 2013 with no answers why yet.

Side note, through my conversation with the service manager, she confirmed that the gift cards being mailed out for owners affected by the emissions standards thing.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
The 10th digit of the VIN indicates the model year. If you have D it is a 2013, E is 2014

For instance my 2014 JSW vin is 3VWML7AJ2EM6xxxxx

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
My sales guy told me that I would go to the front of the line if I had any issues with my VW, if I brought it back to the dealer I bought it from.
Funny thing is, I BELIEVED HIM!
What a fool I looked like when I said that with a straight face at the service counter.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Interesting, I hadn't considered this fact. I wonder how they could do this without changing the VIN. Perhaps VW's computer system is even dumber that I had assumed.

Have Fun!

Don
VW's computer system is the main reason I quit being a VW salesperson.
I kept failing tests to be certified. They had the WRONG answers as right .
I quit selling VW's 8 months ago & they still have me in the system
I still keep getting all VW internal memo's :) as they have me in the system.
VW great cars but stupid people.

BTW : The dealership was throwing out a bunch of Advertising material when I worked there..
I took a bunch of "TDI CLEAN DIESEL" banners. I figured they would be good for painting. Perhaps they are worth $

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
My sales guy told me that I would go to the front of the line if I had any issues with my VW, if I brought it back to the dealer I bought it from.
Funny thing is, I BELIEVED HIM!
What a fool I looked like when I said that with a straight face at the service counter.
Gotta get that kind of thing in writing :eek:

NEWARKitecture

TDI
VW's computer system is the main reason I quit being a VW salesperson.
I kept failing tests to be certified. They had the WRONG answers as right .
I quit selling VW's 8 months ago & they still have me in the system
I still keep getting all VW internal memo's :) as they have me in the system.
VW great cars but stupid people.

BTW : The dealership was throwing out a bunch of Advertising material when I worked there..
I took a bunch of "TDI CLEAN DIESEL" banners. I figured they would be good for painting. Perhaps they are worth $
thats crazy... anything good in those internal memos? :)

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Although this is not the case, it would not be the first time a dealer sold a as current year model and it was last years. It makes a difference in resale of course.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
According to my dealer when I bought my car
Salesman at O'Steen in Jacksonville put my Golf in as a Jetta. Still marked as a Jetta. Confused the hell out of the parts desk every time I brought my car in for service.

"Okay sir, let's go out to your Jetta..."

You can prove any warranty information with your VIN, which will be the end all of any discussion. I wouldn't worry about what that particular dealership has in their database. I told them every time to change and it and they assured me they would.