2010 Golf Custom Winter Grill Cover

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
Just picked up my covers from the post office this evening. They look very nice. Very neat (tidy) looking kit.

I chose black stitching, plus a hole to allow airflow over the ambient temp sensor.

Very nice workmanship. These covers look great sitting on my counter. Can't wait to wash the car and then get it all in place! I'll report back when I get to it.

If your thinking of ordering, just do it. Tyler was very helpful, and accommodating. I'm confident he'll ensure you are happy!

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Hello all - just an update here.

A few have installed this cover, and have had success. I am loving the mpg gain, still seeing 45+ highway even with winter fuel. Still, I was looking to improve the top cover by making it lay a bit flatter. After toying with a few tries at adding thin plastic to the backing, I decided to stay with the current vinyl-only design and instead include some "fillers" that go in the top grill to make the bottom a bit more flush, especially from air force while driving.

The filler tubes easily adapt to the current method, and are held in place by velcro (in addition to the friction of wedging it into place). This makes the top cover much smoother and it stays that way!

This will now come with any new set if you wish to have one :)

I

inco9nito99

Thanks Tyler for making that adjustment for me, it's going to look GREAT on my UGM :).

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Here's a look at a cover with Grey accent stitching

Ah man, you couldn't have gotten the grey in a couple of days ago? That would look great on my dark silver Golf.

I just got your cover in today and put it on the car. Still looks pretty good being all black. Seems to be working pretty good. It's around 20F here in GA at the time of my writing. Just drove back from family's house and seems like it warmed up a bit faster.

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Ah man, you couldn't have gotten the grey in a couple of days ago? That would look great on my dark silver Golf.
I'm Sorry :( A customer requested grey just a few days after your order.

Do you have pics of your install? I'd love to see how it turned out? How do you like it?

[stealth vending removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
Have had mine installed for a couple weeks now. It has worked great . . . until one day recently with a significant temp swing to milder weather. i ended up with a CEL for intake air overheat. Specifically, code P026A charge air cooler below efficiency threshold. It was on my mind before the CEL, but I still never bothered to remove it. It happened with both covers in place, moderate speed city driving, temperature just a hair above freezing. Even with the CEL I kept driving as is. If it was a serious problem, the CEL would be flashing and/or dinging, but it was only a steady illumination without any messages on the display.

Anyway, I checked and cleared the code with VCDS last night. I have also removed the upper cover with no plans to replace it. My wife drives the car mostly, and she won't bother to think about all this on days when it warms up. I am planning on leaving the lower in place though. The next few days will be a good tell, as the daytime temps are to hover just above freezing again.

So, all this being said, it is no fault of Tyler at all. The covers are very well made with a once fit and finish. Use at your own discretion just as you would remove/replace cardboard!

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Have had mine installed for a couple weeks now. It has worked great . . . until one day recently with a significant temp swing to milder weather. i ended up with a CEL for intake air overheat. Specifically, code P026A charge air cooler below efficiency threshold. It was on my mind before the CEL, but I still never bothered to remove it. It happened with both covers in place, moderate speed city driving, temperature just a hair above freezing. Even with the CEL I kept driving as is. If it was a serious problem, the CEL would be flashing and/or dinging, but it was only a steady illumination without any messages on the display.

Anyway, I checked and cleared the code with VCDS last night. I have also removed the upper cover with no plans to replace it. My wife drives the car mostly, and she won't bother to think about all this on days when it warms up. I am planning on leaving the lower in place though. The next few days will be a good tell, as the daytime temps are to hover just above freezing again.

So, all this being said, it is no fault of Tyler at all. The covers are very well made with a once fit and finish. Use at your own discretion just as you would remove/replace cardboard!
This is why I only got the lower cover. While it does get cold enough where the top covers would work, it usually doesn't stay that low for long and swings back up to mid 40's on average most of the time. I'd be constantly pulling the tops off and putting them back on again. Too much of a hassle.

This time of year, I can safely keep the lowers on and not worry about them. Last year, I used the insulation pipe and only pulled them off when the temps came back up to the 60s. Never got a CEL for the intercooler the whole time.

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Update: This cover project has grown far beyond my initial expectations. It has now become a steady thing for me, and as such I am in the process of getting vendor status here on the site.

Just to make things easier on my end, if you wish to contact me about getting a cover please send an email to covermytdi@yahoo.com

Thanks all!

Howling

TDI
2013 Golf 2dr Dsg
I'm pleased to say that I got my cover on and the fit and finish is great. Very well thought out, it came with very clear instructions
I had pipe insulation on before
and with temps being in the middle teens for a high on Monday I'll see how it compares.

Thanks for a nice product.

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
I'm pleased to say that I got my cover on and the fit and finish is great. Very well thought out, it came with very clear instructions
I had pipe insulation on before
and with temps being in the middle teens for a high on Monday I'll see how it compares.

Thanks for a nice product.
Glad you like it! It looks like your top cover needs some tweaking: are those filler pads pushed into your grill as far as they can go? The cover is supposed to lay fairly flush, but it seems to be bulging from the inserts. If you can get those inserts to sit in farther, the whole cover will fit and look much better! Let me know how this goes :)

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
Update for everyone.

We have had unusual warm weather spikes for our area and this time of year. Normally it is quite cold right now, but we've been breaking some warm weather records.

Long story short, I took a necessary 550km round trip one afternoon with the lower cover on. The temperature varied from +2*C to +16*C during the trip. When it was climbing to 16*C I started worrying maybe the cover was trapping the heat. However, when checking my weather app for my current locations, the MFD was almost spot on with the app. It was just warmer outside than I'd expected. I left the lower cover on for the entire trip without any ill effects. I now can safely say the lower cover, with a cutout for the AT sensor, works fine up to +16*C

Trip was all highway, no stop and go traffic. Upper cover was NOT used.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nice looking work and eminently practical with the latest polar vortex effect here in the NorthEast.
Email sent!
Cheers,
R*2

Last edited:

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure what the market for this is like. My main issue is that to make items like these I need to fit them to the various models out there, and I really only have access to my Golf at the moment. But who knows, I could start by getting a Golf model done and see where it goes from there.

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
Tyler, I could loan you my JSW to get measurements! Now that it's spring time I'd love to have a nice canvas lining. And my grill cover has held up great! It's got many miles of use!

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
r3trol0gic, those covers look great! How much do you charge for a set? Could you do something with light blue stitching to match my Golf's shark blue color?

I don't have EGR installed either so if I'm putting around town, the car never warms up. Coldest it was in my area was -13F just a few weeks back.

TurboChrisJ

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (BB)
Tyler, I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to post before, but I wanted to echo everyone else's comments about the workmanship and fit of your covers. My poor car has been filthy since I got them, but the covers have been helping keep me warm! They are worth every penny!

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Hello all - since winter is on the doorstep I have started to receive requests for more covers. Unfortunately, I have suspended my operation for the time being. If I ever decide to start back up I will post again. Thanks everyone.

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
this is a shame , too bad you never got around to doing it for the 12 passat . i hate how the black duct tape looks that i use now .