12 volt outlets go off with key

TDI
2002 Golf
I have a 2014 Golf wagen TDI and both outlets (front and rear) go off with the ignition switch. I'd like to modify this "feature"! Want it always on. I found instructions in the golf sedan section but unfortunately my fuse configuration is different. Any solutions?

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
i added a 2nd outlets ( us cars have one and a 120 volt reg plug outlet in back) I had it hard wired hot , the issue I have is I blow the hot fuse every few months. Good luck

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
If there is one thing I really don't like, it's the fact you have to have the key on to use those outlets. I just don't understand why they have it set up that way...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If there is one thing I really don't like, it's the fact you have to have the key on to use those outlets. I just don't understand why they have it set up that way...
You don't? Power outlets that go off with the key have been standard in VWs since at least 2005 (Mk5). The average American driver is an absent-minded idiot who pays only minimal attention to little things like driving and car care. Too many people left their phone chargers, or baby bottle warmers, or whatever plugged into their power outlet overnight and they then complained to VW about their dead batteries. In order to prevent owners from waking up to dead batteries, they try to not allow unexpected power drains with the key turned off. If you are smart enough to remember to unplug your charger, this behavior is easily changed by rearranging a few wires in your fuse box. It is basic electricity, not rocket science.

Have Fun!

Don

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Well if that is the case they could set it up like the radio and leave it on for 30 - 60 minutes and then have it shut off, that would be a help.

You don't? Power outlets that go off with the key have been standard in VWs since at least 2005 (Mk5). The average American driver is an absent-minded idiot who pays only minimal attention to little things like driving and car care. Too many people left their phone chargers, or baby bottle warmers, or whatever plugged into their power outlet overnight and they then complained to VW about their dead batteries. In order to prevent owners from waking up to dead batteries, they try to not allow unexpected power drains with the key turned off. If you are smart enough to remember to unplug your charger, this behavior is easily changed by rearranging a few wires in your fuse box. It is basic electricity, not rocket science.

Have Fun!

Don

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Just because people are stupid doesn't make it a good idea ... Actually, by definition that makes it a dumb idea.
Give us the choice of EASILY changing it.

Sharky

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI manual, 2012 Passat TDI manual
I would support a built in timer (30-60) minutes as a balance between the dumb idea and dumb people!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
The average American driver is an absent-minded idiot who pays only minimal attention to little things like driving and car care.
I'm not the average American driver, and would like to have the option at least.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I have never had a use for power when the car was off. If the car is off, I am far away from it.(in the house, work, inside a store....) What would be a use for it? Don't tell me.....to charge those stupid devices that people are so addicted to nowadays!!

Donald

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Having key off only power ports and the keyless system in my car it drives me nuts. I am a technician who works out of my car. I have cell phones, cell boosters, mifi devices and everything hooked in. turning the car off shuts off the booster, thus the cell and mifi dont work. Its irritating to need to run the car for 30-45minutes while I need to use the dang booster. I have NEVER run a battery dead while working. And my rigs have always had full power ports. my last few had a way to change it from keyed to full power. would have been nice for VW to include this ability.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I just used two spade connectors with an inline fuse and jumped from a hot at all times open fuse slot to the feed side of the outlet fuse.

Soul777Toast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Honestly it's not the 12v ports that bother me, it's the friggen RADIO! I use bluetooth for audio so every time the thing turns off I have to wait for it to reconnect, then play something so it'll see audio over the bluetooth connection so I can select it under media, and by then I've missed like 10 seconds of whatever I'm listening to! I'm so tired of having to either leave the car running to finish listening to something or dick around for half a minute to get back to it! If anyone knew how to get the radio to stay on until the key is removed, I would probably kiss 'em!

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I found on mine if I turn the car off and press the radio power button fast it turns back on before it "disconnects" from Bluetooth.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I just installed a power inverter and grabbed power off an open socket on the fuse box, it was rated for 40 amps and not used on my car:D Now I have the inverer that has a 12v socket, USB and 2 110 outlets with key off.

nole76

TDI
2013 DSG Sportwagen
I found this old thread when doing a search on this topic, and wondered if anyone has figured out a way to make these outlets hot at all times. Electrical is not my thing, I hate to sound stupid but I am afraid to mess around with the fuse box without some directions.

piper109

Veteran Member
My son in UK has a very recent Skoda Yeti with many things in common with VW's, engines etc, but his outlets stay live without the key being in or on. Probably European VW's do too. Perhaps its something for the North American market and somebody might find a way to get round it. I have an add on outlet with 2 convenient USB sockets in it for phone, iPad etc and it is wired directly to an always hot part of fuse box but I would rather the factory outlets came that way.

Dieselfever78

TDI
01 Golf 1.9 TDi 5 speed
I have a 2010 Golf, I also want to make my 12v outlets on all the time and also want to keep the radio on when the key is off until it is removed. That is how my 2001 Golf and 2002 Jetta were and it was great, are there any write ups on how to accomplish this in the MK6 cars? I have VCDS and have recoded some things to my personal preference but didn't see anything for these 2 things in there.