What oil would you use without a DPF?

1krautburner

TDI
Golf
The extra fuel wasted to operate these emission controls are not justifiable. The loss of 50 hp on the new TDIs is ridicules. This also amounts to around 7 mpg wasted! Give me a break. Maybe we should all drive electric cars powered by the coal powered power plants!
So, you are saying that we should do away with emission controls in favor of extra horsepower and MPG ? Can you please clarify that statement for me.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
So, you are saying that we should do away with emission controls in favor of extra horsepower and MPG ? Can you please clarify that statement for me.
I think he is aiming at how dirty electric really is (between the carbon produced during the manufacturing of the batteries and coal burning electric plants which charge them) and how a less restrictive emissions system would benefit the environment by burning less fuel while returning more power. Just because electric cars don't spew smoke it doesn't mean that their carbon footprint isn't already huge coming off the assembly line and depending on where their energy generation source is (i.e. coal plant, nuclear, etc.) and in my opinion is wasteful because the batteries will eventually need to be replaced equaling even more carbon and waste. This is all conjecture though and I'm sure he has his own clarification but that's how I heard it :D

(not saying removing a diesel emission system is great for the environment but a single vehicle or even fleet of vehicles versus a coal generation plant with dated scrubbers is not comparable for emissions)

So looking at those various CJ-4 oil's, I am probably going to run some delicious T6 unless someone can sway me to one of their personal favorite fluid variants?

1krautburner

TDI
Golf
I get that Elite, and I agree that there is a substantial carbon footprint to the production of batteries and the charging of electric vehicles overall, but we would be talking about thousands of TDis running around with tons of added emissions being produced, just to save a few MPG (a 7mpg saving is VERY optimistic, and the added power is a completely separate issue IMHO). It's apples to oranges, anyway because you still have to factor in the carbon footprint from the production of the Diesel fuel in the first place, which I would think is substantially more than what is required to produce the added electricity needed to charge a like number of electric vehicles and to produce the batteries for them. And of, course, an electric vehicle has almost a zero carbon footprint in operation, so it offsets.

Sorry this is so far off of your original topic, but I too often wonder if electric vehicles even make sense in this regard. You can make the same argument against Hydrogen or LPG I guess...

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
I get that Elite, and I agree that there is a substantial carbon footprint to the production of batteries and the charging of electric vehicles overall, but we would be talking about thousands of TDis running around with tons of added emissions being produced, just to save a few MPG (a 7mpg saving is VERY optimistic, and the added power is a completely separate issue IMHO). It's apples to oranges, anyway because you still have to factor in the carbon footprint from the production of the Diesel fuel in the first place, which I would think is substantially more than what is required to produce the added electricity needed to charge a like number of electric vehicles and to produce the batteries for them. And of, course, an electric vehicle has almost a zero carbon footprint in operation, so it offsets.

Sorry this is so far off of your original topic, but I too often wonder if electric vehicles even make sense in this regard. You can make the same argument against Hydrogen or LPG I guess...
IMO the best alternate fuel we could use right now would be hydrogen; installing a hydrogen loop to a nuclear plant as hydrogen is a byproduct and could be yielded to power vehicles. Nuclear power is one of the greenest power sources we have now and if we were started to reprocess or spent fuel it would be even better. In 1976 Jimmy Carter decided the US wouldn't reprocess fuel because during the cold war and to prevent bombs from being produced. Many other countries reprocess fuel so the practice isn't unheard of but it is expensive to do and since power plants are privately owned their is no incentive to lobby for reprocessing.

But in the end there will be mechanical parts which require some lube; so let's get back to the oil :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's not a very accurate list. Total's oils are mis-named (some are even still identified as Elf, which hasn't been correct in NA for years), and some are in the wrong places. And the Pento listed either is NLA or it's mis-named as well.

I honestly don't know why you're casting about looking for a solution to a non-existent problem. I've read nothing about 507.00 having detrimental effects on engines. If you insist that running a 5W40 is better for your engine then I'd go with a 505.01, like Pento HPII or Liqui-Moly Synthoil Premium. But I'd suggest not second-guessing engineers that have way more data than you. That list demonstrates to me how any of us can come to a conclusion based on flawed data that we may regret later.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
That's not a very accurate list. Total's oils are mis-named (some are even still identified as Elf, which hasn't been correct in NA for years), and some are in the wrong places. And the Pento listed either is NLA or it's mis-named as well.

I honestly don't know why you're casting about looking for a solution to a non-existent problem. I've read nothing about 507.00 having detrimental effects on engines. If you insist that running a 5W40 is better for your engine then I'd go with a 505.01, like Pento HPII or Liqui-Moly Synthoil Premium. But I'd suggest not second-guessing engineers that have way more data than you. That list demonstrates to me how any of us can come to a conclusion based on flawed data that we may regret later.
I know there isn't a problem currently with the 507 oils just looking at my options to possibly protect my engine a little more rather than a nonexistent DPF; those sound like some nice 5W40 suggestions, I'll see if I can find some more information on them.

Shaft

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Highline 6spd Black Pearl
I know when I toss the DPF I'm switching to rotella t6 for the remainder of the cars life.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
I switched to mobil 1 TDT oil after various modifications made me able to switch from 507 spec....;) and the engine runs great, not sure if I'm just looking for it but it seems to run better and warm up quicker when cold outside. Believe Toe ball and a couple others are running it too. Going to run an oil analysis after I put 10k on it and see how it looks. I drive my car pretty aggressively and it's nice to know I have the added protection.

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
I switched to mobil 1 TDT oil after various modifications made me able to switch from 507 spec....;) and the engine runs great, not sure if I'm just looking for it but it seems to run better and warm up quicker when cold outside. Believe Toe ball and a couple others are running it too. Going to run an oil analysis after I put 10k on it and see how it looks. I drive my car pretty aggressively and it's nice to know I have the added protection.

What do you think of Motul 8100 5w40? the reason I ask is cuz I can get this stuff cheap from a mechanic friend

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
I know when I toss the DPF I'm switching to rotella t6 for the remainder of the cars life.
Another for the T6 lovers!

That's what I'm talking about, TDT is only 5.99$ a quart near me; might stock up...

I read some other oil tests which were positive, when you get yours done I'd be interested :D

What do you think of Motul 8100 5w40? the reason I ask is cuz I can get this stuff cheap from a mechanic friend
I'd have to investigate this more; anyone have opinions or a little knowledge bomb they'd like to drop :p

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
I'm not too sure on the Motul, reports tend to be mixed and conflicted where TDT tends to be pretty glowing across the board.

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to oil so many of the more intelligent on here can chime in on this.

One of the many reasons I went with TDT is it is cheap, and you literally can buy it anywhere(autozone/walmart/O'Reillys/etc.).

bannister

TDI
None Anymore
Delvac-1 ESP will be going in the car (11 JSW) for the 3rd time coming up shortly. UOA at 30k showed wear metals all lower than Blackstone's claimed averages... Fe was almost 1/2 of their average. DPF is still there.

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
I'm not too sure on the Motul, reports tend to be mixed and conflicted where TDT tends to be pretty glowing across the board.

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to oil so many of the more intelligent on here can chime in on this.

One of the many reasons I went with TDT is it is cheap, and you literally can buy it anywhere(autozone/walmart/O'Reillys/etc.).

Just changed my Oil and used Mobile TDT. crossing fingers.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I chose to stick with 507 oils, lubrimoly presently, seems fine, do wish it was easier to get, available at the local napa though.. the low ash may help with the egr if you stil have that..

White10tdi

TDI
2010 DSG TDI
After I get my Malone Econ tune next week I will most likely go with Mobil 1 TDT. I've had great luck with Mobil 1 synthetic oils in high performance gas engines so needless to say I am a Mobil 1 fan.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Just changed my Oil and used Mobile TDT. crossing fingers.
TDT +1

TDT +2

Delvac-1 ESP will be going in the car (11 JSW) for the 3rd time coming up shortly. UOA at 30k showed wear metals all lower than Blackstone's claimed averages... Fe was almost 1/2 of their average. DPF is still there.
Delvac-1

I chose to stick with 507 oils, lubrimoly presently, seems fine, do wish it was easier to get, available at the local napa though.. the low ash may help with the egr if you stil have that..
EGR ran away too... :D

After I get my Malone Econ tune next week I will most likely go with Mobil 1 TDT. I've had great luck with Mobil 1 synthetic oils in high performance gas engines so needless to say I am a Mobil 1 fan.
TDT +3

A lot of TDT talk; makes me want to start running it. Although I would like to see more oil analysis on our motors specifically because not many people are willing to stray far from VW's recommended oils. I'm sure most are warranty worried, DPF worried, and many believe that VW engineers know best. Granted I'm sure they tested their oils significantly but I can't help believing that everything is engineered to fail eventually. i.e. oil recommendations that eventually cause engine failure outside of 60k

That's my conspiracy theory for the day; I'm going to keep listening for more suggestions. :D

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual

I work for TOTAL and run Amsoil. :cool:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Mobil1 TDT, Rotella T6, Chevron Delo LE; all 5w-40 heavy duty diesel oils meeting CJ4 specs. All of them are largely group iii synthetic and fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to run any of them in a deleted cr tdi.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I am on my second fill of Rotella T-6. I got a very good report from Blackstone on my first 10K so I am running it again... Will analyze in 10K again but I see Rotella T-6 in my forseeable future for the JSW anyway.

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf killed by the dealer. 2014 Beetle given as replacement
I am on my second fill of Rotella T-6. I got a very good report from Blackstone on my first 10K so I am running it again... Will analyze in 10K again but I see Rotella T-6 in my forseeable future for the JSW anyway.
I've seen a lot of good Blackstone EOA's from Rotella

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
It seems there are several good choices. Is there one brand in particular that would produce less smoke and soot at the tail pipe?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It seems there are several good choices. Is there one brand in particular that would produce less smoke and soot at the tail pipe?
Not really. That is more a function of the tune being used.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Smoke and soot production are a factor of the tune and amount of fuelling mainly. I would not think oil selection would have anything do with it.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Smoke and soot production are a factor of the tune and amount of fuelling mainly. I would not think oil selection would have anything do with it.
Good to know, my Golf is white and I don't want to constantly be cleaning black soot from my bumper :) I buy my fuel at Chevron which is good quality diesel.