Safe Travels / Bon Voyage

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
We made it home at 4am our time. 19 hours or so for the trip with a stop for dinner. My furry children are happy to see us!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Just got home. Stopped in Elyria, OH last night and planned to get on the road after an early breakfast, but a flat tire spoiled that for me. Luckily, there was a Sears Tire Center across the road from the hotel, so I popped the spare on and drove over to get it patched. Turned out that the puncture was just off the tread in the sidewall, so they couldn't repair it. The store manager made 5 or 6 phone calls trying to find a tire locally, but didn't have any luck. The closest tire was at the Tire Rack warehouse in South Bend and it couldn't get there until tomorrow. I asked if they would just move the spare to the rear and rear wheel to the front, so I'd have matching drive tires, and the manager said that would be no problem. I got on the phone with my local tire guy and ordered a tire for tomorrow and, while I was still on the phone, one of the mechanics said that my car was ready. I went to the counter to settle up and the manager just waved his hand and wished me a safe trip home. I went into the shop to get the car, tipped the mechanic, and was on my way. Sears, whoda thunk?

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
We are still on the road doing a little site seeing in the upper peninsula. Will post pictures of our trip. Hey Jeff the car runs great thanks.:)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Got in last night about 10:15. I made multiple stops to walk and stretch my back as it was quite stiff and sore after driving in without the stretch stops. It took two days to loosen up from the trip in, but it feels fine this morning.
Totals: distance to and back 2,824.72 miles (per GPS), fuel 47.561 gallons for a trip average of 59.39 mpg (3.96 l/100km).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just filled this morning after filling in Toledo Monday AM. 808.5 miles, 15.3 gallons. 52.8 MPG. That was with the cruse set at 75 almost the entire day and the A/C on. Not too shabby for an old car.

Last edited:

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Very nice!!!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
We will be passing by Detroit tomorrow on our way home.

Last edited:

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Please waive to us!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
We left Sister-In-Law's house in Tomahawk, WI this morning after a short visit and are currently holed up in a Holiday Inn Express in Paragould, Arkansas for the night. Tomorrow is a short trip day as it appears to be about 580 miles more to our home in The Woodlands, TX.

The whole trip will be about 3,300 miles with ~250 of those doubling back to a truck stop in Missouri on the way to the Fest to retrieve my wife's cell phone that she left in the ladies room.:rolleyes:

Fuel mileage is averaging about 44.5 MPG with the 2014 Passat. This is cruise set at 75 MPH and the A/C on. It's a slug compared to Jon's freeway eater, but at least I don't have to drive with the flashers on all the time.:D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Good thing I like driving. Just about 4900 miles total. That was with a round about route in the Black Hills and a trip to PDX before coming home. The PDX side trip added a couple hundred to the trip.

The route out was to Montana then off the freeway at Little Big Horn and across to the Black Hills. Across SD, MN & WI. Just over 2300 miles to get there. I left after all was said and done and drove until about 2:30. Slept until 6:30 and drove to just shy of the middle of NE. I found the graves of my G G G G Grandparents and one of their sons then found a camp ground. On the road at 6:00 and drove to just past Pocatello, ID getting in about 9:30. Threw up a tent, slept until 5:00 and was on the road at 5:34. I pulled into the driveway at about 7:30.

Going out I kept my speedometer at five over the posted and got 39 MPG most of the way. Going back, I kept it at five over, with a max of 75. I haven't figured my MPG yet but I'm guessing going back it was about 45ish. I'm just not going to hold it at 57 MPH across these wide open spaces. 75 across WY and NE was bad enough.