Cross-cross-country TDI-fixing road trip!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hello TDIers,

I will be driving one of my TDIs, overloaded with tools, across the country to TDIFest this year (I actually did the same last year too, but that was more of a last-minute decision). I will be starting in Santa Maria, CA, make may way through Las Vegas, up through Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri all along I-70, Illinois, Indiana *maybe* Ohio and then my home state of Michigan (Ypsilanti being the last town I lived in prior to leaving the state, definitely got to go to this Fest!)

If anyone along that route has a TDI and would like some work done, let me know! I may make my way to Virginia afterwards (to casa del compudub :D) and the route home is up in the air. Maybe if I can line up some work on a more Southerly route, I go that way. Or if I get more hits from those in the North, I'll do that. So possibly anywhere in the lower 48 (though the Northeast might be a stretch...)

I can do just about it all on the road. Timing belts, clutches, suspension, brakes, hell, even could replace your 01M automatic with a manual transmission! You will be responsible to source the parts, I can help you figure out what parts you need and track them down before my arrival.

I can also make you a deal. If you can prove to me you are going or have gone to TDIFest (and paid the fees) this year OR otherwise made a significant donation to the club, I'll give you a large discount on labor, maybe even make it free if it's a small job and you're not far off my route. Putting me up for the night will be taken into consideration for labor discounts as well (hotels aren't cheap!).

So let's hear it! Who would be interested in having their TDI serviced by yours truly at their home this coming late August and early September?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Our Mk4 needs *.suspension. After TDIFest sometime? Hopefully we'll have money or you will give us a line of credit. ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
By the way, offering a discount for TDIFest participants is awesome! :cool:

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
I don't need anything, yet, but this is why i'm proud to be a member of this forum!!!!!!

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Our Mk4 needs *.suspension. After TDIFest sometime? Hopefully we'll have money or you will give us a line of credit. ;)
:D

Pretty sure your organizing of Fest puts you squarely in the "large discount" qualification :p You know I'll take care of you guys!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sounds good to me! I'll start saving up for a complete suspension rebuild including motor mounts, bushings and the kitchen sink. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Matt if you are looking for a place to crash in Ohio before or after fest, I'd be glad to offer up a spot at my new house.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Matt if you are looking for a place to crash in Ohio before or after fest, I'd be glad to offer up a spot at my new house.
Thanks Aaron! See you at Fest either way? :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
yes, I will be at fest FOR SURE. no doubt, already registered, no turning back... right? :D

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
I live in NW Ohio about an hour from fest and may be looking to have a new clutch or panzer plate done. This depends on my budget. :rolleyes:

Will be in touch. Can offer a place to crash the nite before fest too @ my house. My best friend and her husband own a house 10 miles from fest. May be able to get you a crash place there too.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
validius - you need to update your profile. Out with the 1997 GTI TDI, in with the Cutlass Ciera! :D

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Matt is Great!! He installed my Shortshifter at the Fest! and I hope to see him when he gets to VA make my Steel Skidplate, HPA mount and a Rear Sway bar!

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
If you tire of the couch that can suck days out of your life in Springfield, the offer for the spare room at my house is still open. The guys know how to get in touch with me.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Don't hate on my couch/nest. This thing is awesome! :D

I

inco9nito99

Just wanted to chime in for the intake/egr cleaning Matt did on my 217k mile MK4 Golf TDI. Matt is a great guy, very knowledgeable and did a pristine job in doing the work as promised and was able to hook me up with coding to allow my key fob to turn down/up all windows free of charge! My intake manifold/egr was crudded beyond belief (was never cleaned and only had approximately 1cm diameter opening for my car to breathe!!) Now my car runs 100% better! Thanks bud for your efforts!

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Beyond belief is a fairly accurate description... lol

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Matt is still at car54's - unfailing his Jetta. Then on to our house to do a skid plate on the Passat, OMI, new suspension and rear brakes on the Jetta. :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Matt just left our place 30 minutes ago... heading to Ohio to do a job then on to California!

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
He's doing my brother's turbo. Poor kid...Matt did his suspension a week ago and on the test drive, realized his turbo was shot. :mad:

New VNT-17 waiting in the garage. :D:D

Then it's GO time...new Koni's + RC2 @ fest + new bigger turbo = weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

It's not even my car and I'm excited!