Rough Idle and low power

jaredb03

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I haven't posted in the forum in a while because i sold my Jetta to my parents, but they are now having problems with it. About 3 months ago they told me that it was idling really rough but ran fine. Well today they called and told me that now it has hardly any power, and they couldn't get it to go over 55 mph(its a manual). It has a new air filter, and oil has been changed recently. When i had the car it was throwing these codes for about 2 years and i am assuming it still is:
17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached
P1562 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Mods on the car are bigger nozzles, and egr bypass

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edit: I thought i would add i don't have a vag-com anymore.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
1) How many miles on the current TB?
2) Get the car to someone with VCDS (was vag-com). Log boost pressure and MAF requested v. actual.
3) How have your parents been driving it? Easy or aggressive? Easy: I would look at the turbo actuator. Aggressive: Keeps the turbo cleaner and actuator moving.
4) QA codes might be associated with the idle and power issue. VCDS again...what is the IQ at?
5) How many miles on the nozzles / injectors?

Tony

jaredb03

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Franko6 said:
Where is the car now? I'm in Missouri. If I can help, let me know.
Pittsburg Kansas(south east Kansas). Like i said i don't own the car anymore so im not sure what they are wanting to do. I just thought i would post on here and see if there were some easy things i could check without a vag-com.

tdikey

TDI
1998 bug
I had a similar problem a while back. There's a small sensor in the the air intake called a Mass Air sensor. When it breaks, the engine does weird things; just like what you Jetta is experiencing.

This may not be the problem, but it's entirely likely that it is. The sensor is like a little hair, and if it breaks (which is pretty easy if you think about it) then your out of luck and need a new one. I would suggest taking it to a mechanic to get that checked out. Then, if I'm right, the car should be fine! :cool:

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
jaredb03 said:
Pittsburg Kansas(south east Kansas). Like i said i don't own the car anymore so im not sure what they are wanting to do. I just thought i would post on here and see if there were some easy things i could check without a vag-com.
Let your parents know that I offer mobile service work for TDI's. Pittsburgh, KS is only about an hour from me so I could drive over there pretty easy. Sounds like the injection quantity needs to be adjusted to correct the rough idle. The low power sounds like classic limp mode problem, it could a number of things causing it. Something as simple as a vacuum line or MAF sensor, or something more complicated.

Cheers,
Ben
www.vwtdisales.com

jaredb03

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
vwjettadsl said:
Let your parents know that I offer mobile service work for TDI's. Pittsburgh, KS is only about an hour from me so I could drive over there pretty easy. Sounds like the injection quantity needs to be adjusted to correct the rough idle. The low power sounds like classic limp mode problem, it could a number of things causing it. Something as simple as a vacuum line or MAF sensor, or something more complicated.

Cheers,
Ben
www.vwtdisales.com
What do you charge for the mobile service?