'06 Jetta TDI Oil Capacity?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I'm fixing to joing the TDT Mafia next week. Been reviewing my notes and came across this. "B" publishers states the oil capacity as being 4.3L (4.5 qt). My VW owners manual states 4.8 L (5.1 qts).

Does anyone know which one is more accurate? I usually just dump 4.5 qts in it, drive it and then recheck. I don't recall ever having to add any more after rechecking. :confused:

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
Manual says 4.8ltrs. There is not much difference between 4.8 and 4.5. When I do mine from the drain plug and after sucking some out of the oil filter housing with my PELLA, I drop in 4.5 and check. Don't try and figure out the exact amount. You wont save time nor money.
Do like most experienced mechanics. Add less and correct after.

Luc
Montreal, canada

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Keep in mind that besides the difference between L (33.8 oz)/qt (32 oz) aka 5.6%) , there are oem specifications for: 1. dry sump 2. oil change 3. did you REALLY suction out the oil residual in the oil filter cannister?... 4. oil dipstick measurement with no real specific TIME measurement, (aka what does several minutes REALLY mean if you do 3, how is that different from 4,5,6,7,.... etc. ) 5. a certain amount of variance (over/+, under/-) is probably more the RULE, rathet than the exception.

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
vwluca has the right itea. Much easier to 'top off' than to 'draw down'. :D

I drain fron the bottom and 4 1/2 qts has always been the correct amount.

This weekend (50,000 miles) I'll be switching to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40. Currently running Valvoline Synpower 5w-40. I am going to send in a sample for analysis. Will post results.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
sohccammer427 said:
vwluca has the right itea. Much easier to 'top off' than to 'draw down'. :D

I drain fron the bottom and 4 1/2 qts has always been the correct amount.

This weekend (50,000 miles) I'll be switching to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40. Currently running Valvoline Synpower 5w-40. I am going to send in a sample for analysis. Will post results.
Just an observation, but I would hold off doing a Mobil One TDT 5w40 UNTIL @ least the second/AKA NEXT Mobil One TDT 5w40 oil change. Again the reason is the left over Valvoline Synpower 5w40 (due to residual and dry sump/oil change amount differences). This will slightly skew the UOA results.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
ruking said:
Just an observation, but I would hold off doing a Mobil One TDT 5w40 UNTIL @ least the second/AKA NEXT Mobil One TDT 5w40 oil change. Again the reason is the left over Valvoline Synpower 5w40 (due to residual and dry sump/oil change amount differences). This will slightly skew the UOA results.
This is true, but I want to get a baseline number on a 50,000 mile PD that has been run on 505.01 until a first interval on TDT. This is what I have run:

0 - 5k factory
5 -10 Castrol TXT
10 - 20 Quaker State Q Deisel Plus 5w-40
20 - 30 Motul Specific 505.01
30 - 40 Valvoline Synpower 5w-40
40 - 50 Valvoline Synpower 5w-40

If TDT performs as well as most folks state it could, on my next OCI, I might expect to see better numbers? :confused:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Indeed your plan makes sense. Even if you did a "snapshot"/progress UOA with a healthy Mobil One TDT 5w40 ( with a healthy Valvoline residue) you could in effect chart the changes. But surely the 2nd Mobil One TDT 5w40 change would show probably the most dramatic results.

I would say yes. If there are no issues, I would swag a very healthy decrease in total wear metals.

Last edited: