Wanted: older TDi wagon

Helven Ink

Veteran Member
TDI
99 VW New Beetle 5-speed, manual
Hello, I would love to find an older TDi wagon that is in good shape. Jetta or passat is fine. The main thing for me is that it runs good, and isn't falling apart. I would also need the car to be priced in the $5000 or under range. I live in San Antonio Texas, but location of the car isn't an issue for me.
My current TDi bug I think has finally given up the ghost. It's an 99 manual with an ALH engine. If I could get a wagon with an ALH that would be ideal.

Thank you,
Jon

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Wagons are around, and prices are falling. I saw an ALH wagon on CL today for 3,900. Friend of a friend bought it. Just keep in mind that these cars are getting older and most of them have deferred maintenance that you'll have to catch up on to make it reliable and pleasant to drive. Happy hunting!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I wonder if that's the one the 'mechanic' at Morong VW bought due to a snapped timing belt. According to my source who works there, an ALH (did not specify body type) came in with a snapped timing belt and the repair cost they quoted the owner was too great, so they 'bought' it from her for $500. They put another belt on it and 'it runs and drives fine'. I told them it will for now, but unless the head is reworked the valves will snap off in 8-10k. He said the mechanic knows what he is doing, he 'got lucky' because there was no damage, and those engines can survive a broken timing belt because they're built so tough. I argued but he kept saying the guy has XX years experience and knows his stuff.

So if anyone buys it, I'd pull the cam and check the lifters at the minimum, but it may not even be the car since it has 38K on that timing belt.

I can go have a look if anyone is genuinely interested, but please don't waste my time if you're just kicking the tires.

Last edited:

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
Abacus, you are correct. I looked at the car & drove it. It does drive very nice for the mileage, though the "cup kit" suspension is too low for my taste. Feels like it has 100k.

The guy who owned it was supposed to get vw to fix some small rust on the rockers under the corrosion warranty. Morong Brunswick does not have a body shop so he brings it to Maco who merely sprays over what was there. Ugh.. I passed. It's a good car if the price comes down, but I think it's too much for the mileage & a quick rocker respray. Interior could use a good douching, but should clean up ok.

The guy talks like he knows a lot, but he was insisting these cars come with a single mass flywheel :confused:.

$.02

Last edited:

noripooki

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Im glad I found this post. I almost bought that car without knowing the whole story. I tried talking him down, but he was pretty firm of the price.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I have a 2002 jetta wagon GLS with 137k miles. Original owner. Timing belt done by old poopie (guru on this site) at 96k miles. Had an automatic that went south but now sports a 6 speed diesel trans. Was upgraded with bilstein suspension and HID headlights.