2010 running rough

jjohns72

TDI
2006 pkg 1 5sp
I have a 2010 with 1k on the clock so far. Its gotten bitterly cold in the midwest and temps are currently 5*F and expected to be -10 overnight. I decided to put some Howes Diesel Treat (anit gel) into a full tank last night in preperation for these temps and especially because the car sits outside. Today while out and about i notice the engine is running a little rough and has a bit of a whine to it when i rev it. It is a lot more noticeable on the highway when accelerating and has a shaking feel to it. The car doesnt die and starts fine but im a little concerned. Could the Howes be causing this? Im running the same thing in my 2006 BRM with no change in performance. Im just a little nervous after reading the HPFP threads. Any ideas or am i just being paranoid?

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
If memory serves, none of the (very few) HPFP failures have been quite as early as 1K miles. I'd be surprised if this was the problem. Also, your CR should laugh at 5*F temperatures. Look here for someone with VCDS in your area, and check for codes. If no codes and the problem persists, run the tank down and re-fill (to rid it of additive) then take it in to the dealer. If he claims 'bad fuel' and denies warranty repair, politely but firmly demand a fuel analysis from properly sampled fuel (no Mountain Dew bottles!) with full chain of custody documentation. If he laughs at this, tell him he'll wish he'd taken your advice when he next faces you across the arbitrator's table. Please keep us posted.

All that said (just to scare you silly) my actual best bet is that your problem will soon disappear as mysteriously as it appeared, never to be seen again. A gremlin.

Last edited:

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
I wouldn't get worried about this unless it carries over to the next couple of tanks of fuel.

I've seen anti gel additives do some strange things in OTR rigs too. A couple of cases it caused the filter to become plated with parafin compounds normally suspended (emulsified) the fuel.

Try a new fuel filter and take a good look at the original for metal too, just to be sure. BTW, my friend had her 09 serviced on monday and the dealer added fuel treatment to it. So if the thing has to go to the dealer, it's a good card to play only if they try talking sht to you about fuel additives.:p

jjohns72

TDI
2006 pkg 1 5sp
Thanks guys for the quick responses...I think this was a false alarm and I am also a moron :rolleyes: ....I discovered an substantial amount of snow built up in both front wheels and fender wells....I knocked the snow out on both sides and took it back on the highway and it is smooth as silk....I think the snow was causing to be a bit unbalanced and shake up front hence why it was only happening at highway speeds....I think the whining sound is just my paranoia...Does this make sense? We've had a ton of snow in KC over the last couple of weeks...I'll let you know if the condition returns.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
jjohns72 said:
....I think the whining sound is just my paranoia...Does this make sense?
Paranoia? Driving a new TDI? What are you, crazy??!!
Sorry...gotta go see if my cars will start...:p