Malone stage 2 first impressions

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I know that Malone Tuning is a household name when it comes to tuning TDI's and there are lots of reviews out there but I thought that for anyone on the fence, I'd give my 2 cents. My vehicle is a 2012 Golf with DSG and 15,000 miles on the odometer.

I decided to go with Andrew at AARodriguez for the tune since I have read lots of positive comments about his customer service on this forum. It turns out that he is a real stand up guy who provides great customer service.

I was put on a short waiting list for the DSG tuner and when it arrived this past Friday, I followed Andrew's video instructions on how to access the DSG communications port. It took less than 15 minutes to remove the necessary parts and plug in the tool. After I emailed him the DSG file, I had the new file emailed to me in less than an hour.

I drove my Golf for a few hours running around town and I was really impressed by how the DSG tune performed. It in itself was a good upgrade. I went home and removed my ECU then sent it out to Andrew for the stage 2 tune. I decided to leave my emissions intact for now. He received my ECU Monday at 2 pm and had the files read, retuned (with intake flapper delete) and back in a FedEx box for overnight shipping. It arrived yesterday (Tuesday) and I've had the tune for 24 hours and about 50 miles of city driving. All I can say is Wow! What a difference.

The DSG now keeps the revs right in the powerband during WOT acceleration and the short delay upon start is gone. I still have the OE Conti's and it is very difficult to keep them from spinning, especially in a turn.

I logged a 0-60 run using VCDS before the tune and the time was 8.4 seconds. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I'm sure it pretty consistent.

I logged another 0-60 time at the same place and was surprised to see over a full second quicker time of 7.3 seconds.

I know if I had better summer tires and more practice launching and getting all that torque to the ground (I wish it had AWD like my Touareg) I could easily clock 0-60 times in the mid to high 6 second range. I've read that after a few hundred miles it gets even quicker which would be welcome.

So I think it was well worth the money spent and am looking forward to many fun driving miles ahead. Many thanks to Andrew at AARodriguez for answering my questions beforehand and the very quick turnaround time with both the DSG and stage 2 tune.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Glad to hear it is working out good for you. I had Andrew tune mine about 45k miles ago and it had been flawless.