2014 JSW owner manual

tomby

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I just bought a '14 TDI JSW in the past week and I'm enjoying the drive. One question wonder if anyone can help me with. The sales guy gave me a '14 Jetta Owner's manual, much of which doesn't jive with what's actually in my car (climate controls, for example).

I went back to the dealership and asked him for the correct manual but according to him that's the correct VW manual for the car. It feels wrong to me but I have no idea. If you have a '14 JSW owner manual, would you take a picture of the front cover or send me a part number (or some other identifier)?

And if I'm wrong that's just as well, saves me a trip to the dealer.

Thank you!
-Pablo

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
I'll give you the short course...

Headlamp out? Consult your dealer.
Tire pressure low? Consult your dealer.
Service light on? Consult your dealer.
Any problem real or imagined? Consult your dealer.

In other words the manual imparts very little real information. Worse yet, it's rather generic leaving an owner to figure out what applies to his or her particular vehicle. All very frustrating even for those of us who know these cars very well.

Hang out here. Ask your questions and we'll be happy to help. Don't get too mad at your dealer or VoA. Today's world is one of litigation and all manufactures to one degree or another are petrified to direct an owner to anything which might incur manufacturer liability.

Thus... The Owner's Manual as it is. All but useless.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I don't agree with Nord at all. I read through the manual for my 2012 twice before I took delivery of the car (salesman let me borrow a manual from another JSW) and there's a lot of info there.

For me it was FAR better to learn what I could from the book before I came here to ask questions. In most cases I didn't have to ask after all.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
While I haven't tried it yet. I understand you can access the owner's manual online at VW's website if you provide your VIN number. I second everything Nord said...

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Disagree

In other words the manual imparts very little real information. The Owner's Manual as it is. All but useless.
Totally disagree. The manuals provide a tremendous amount of information. Where else will you find the info about the MFD and how you change between screens. What about the maintenance schedule and what fluids to use. You just have to read it. Apparently nord has not read his.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
All of ya'll need to stop being opinionated as it is not required in this thread. The OP asked a direct question. If you know the answer to the OP's question please help him/her out. I myself, do not know.

Also, welcome to the forum Tomby. This place is very useful and has tons of info. Also check out myturbodiesel.com

Last edited:

tomby

TDI
Thanks all, I appreciate the responses.

I know the manual isn't the end-all, but it would annoy me to have the wrong manual, if that's the case. I deserve to have the correct manual, even if it's for the next owner to use.

As for the app/knowyourvw.com, you can get pieces of the manual, but not the entire manual. It's certainly useful enough for what it is, and I have used it. For example, I only figured out how to tilt the sunroof from the manual, or that the pocket to the left of the wheel is storage, not fuses(!).

The manuals are completely obnoxious in other ways. Like every page is 50% disclaimers ("Do not stick your hand into the window while it's closing"), but like I said, if I have the wrong manual I should have the right one.

I just want to know if I got the right thing, or if my sales guy is a lying clown, like I suspect.

Thanks!
-Pablo

tomby

TDI
While I haven't tried it yet. I understand you can access the owner's manual online at VW's website if you provide your VIN number. I second everything Nord said...
Mishkaya: your sig indicates you have a '14 JSW. If you happen to remember just glance at the book next time you have a chance and replying back on the thread?

My current manual is titled "2014 Jetta Owner's Manual" no reference to the Sportwagen anywhere that I could see.

Thanks all.
-Pablo

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Gentlemen,

You do realize that sometimes things are shared somewhat in jest, don't you? Look... Fluid levels, maintenance intervals, and other important details are certainly contained in the Owner's Manual. On the other hand, past the info as noted, an owner is usually directed to a dealer. For better or worse much depends upon the cognitive abilities of an owner I guess.

For my own personal tastes I find it frustrating to attempt to glean useful information from between the disclaimers. Further, it would seem that we have an all-in-one manual and it's mostly up to an owner to figure out what the book actually has to offer with reference to a particular vehicle. This when combined with a salesperson unfamiliar with a TDI can make for a very confusing experience as a new and uninitiated owner.

Certainly there are those of us who can read the manual and actually glean useful data hidden in those pages, but this was not my point. My point being that the manuals are not terribly easy to use and often very indirect as to how and where to find what might be needed.

As a matter of comparison I cracked open the manual for my '04 RAM CTD just to compare it to my Passat manual. The Dodge manual is hands down superior in organization, ease of use, illustration, and general format.

If I were to guess it may be that our manuals were first compiled in German, then run past corporate lawyers, and finally translated into english. Sometimes the results of such are somewhat less than desired.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Looked at the manual today, looks the same as the one in the link provided. Part #1425U1JV623 I think.