sportwagen MPG

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
So, as I'm sure we all did, got the TDI for it's gas mileage. I have a 2012 sportwagen 2.0 tdi cr140 with the 6 speed dsg. I made sure the tires were at 35psi as the door placard suggested, run biodiesel mix (all we have here), put diesel kleen with all my fill ups, don't run max ac, don't act like im Jesse from fast and the furious, and try to drive conservatively. Yet my average FE is only 31 mpg mix driving (50/50 highway city) and 36 highway. Is this common with the larger wagon?
If you want to compare to my 2010 JSW DSG TDI

• Run 40 PSI tires
  • Drive Solo, make sure car is not full of cargo (weight)
  • Assume Temps are warm, in Texas this time of year
  • Pick a flat freeway (easy in Texas I gather) on a calm day
  • Get on the freeway - set cruise 55 mph no more than 60 mph
  • Don't use AC, windows up, but can turn fan and outside vents on full
  • Stable on freeway, 55-60mph RESET Trip Computer (hold OK button)
  • Drive distance of 20-30 miles and note average miles
  • You should see 45-50 mpg on trip meter (assuming trip fuel is accurate, checked against fill-ups in past)
My data point, 2010 JSW TDI DSG, when I do the above I can easily get 50 mpg or more. If you do above and only get say 40 mpg, you may have some issue?

My best two tanks, long road trip, out and back home over 1400 miles, over 700 miles each way. I did each way, 700 miles, on one tank full. Each way, average 50-51 mpg. I did keep speed in the 60 mph range. Used AC sometimes, solo summer time.

If all I do is mostly commute, 11 miles each way, 3 miles surface, 8 miles freeway, a 30/70 mix, I easily get 42-45 mpg tank average, no AC and 60 mph...

When all I did mostly city, and/or drove 70-75 mph, my mileage was down in 36 mpg per tank range.

Without knowing how you drive, speeds, if car full of passengers, your 31 mpg sounds low. I have never got less than 34 mpg, even when I drove mostly city and/or like I stole it with AC on.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think gmc had a couple good points there. 40 psi?- no thanks. Drive solo?- unnecessary. Warm temps?- hard to control the weather. 55 mph on the freeway? - again, no thanks. Driving 70-75 mph in the city and 55 mph on the freeway sounds a bit backwards to me. I don't have a wagon myself, but i have never had fuel mileage anywhere near 31 mpg. Driving across west texas at 90 mph with the ac cranked up, I still managed to get 36 mpg. Sounds like something is out of whack. Tire pressure, air filter, fuel quality- something isn't right.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
For my car, if I 'get on it' once in a while it seems to increase my FE numbers. And when I say 'get on it' I mean flooring it from a stop with the DSG in sport mode and taking the car up to around 80mph before letting up. Sure the mpg goes down while you're doing this but it seems to 'blow out the carbon' and then the numbers go up nicely. As a bonus, it's fun!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....sure would agree about the JSW at 55-60 on a freeway sans a/c in high gear (1600 RPM on my GPS is 60 MPH) should give an EASY 50+ MPG.

I've been doing this for over two years (and as the odometer increases - so do the fuel numbers).

ez

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
We recently finished a 2,000 miles trip in our 2014 JSW with 6 sp standard transmission. It was my wife and myself and a weeks worth of luggage. It was 90% highway and mostly cruise control. The speed limits were from 65 to 75 most of the time and I stay 5 MPH above the speed limit. Rather than rely on the dashboard reading I tracked my fuel usage and mileage. We averaged 42.4 MPG.

On a previous trip towing a light trailer with my motorcycle, with my wife and our luggage, I averaged 34.6 MPG on a trip when I kept the speed down to around 65 MPG and had a couple hours of bumper to bumper traffic.

I am very pleased with this little wagon. Fun to drive, comfortable and very economical.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Having driven through the highways around Reno last year I can see how you'd be afraid of getting nailed. Heck isn't the speed limit 70 there? and typical speeds of motorists 75-85?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought of a couple additional possible causes of poor fuel mileage:
A. Dragging brakes
B. Large, sail like roof mounted cargo pods.
C. Different road surfaces can have a surprising impact.

GT4Point6

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 2105 Passat TDI
Bio diesel, like gasohol, lowers your mpg (lower BTU).
Bio can will cause more regens.

Bio alone accounts for a good portion of your mileage drop.
You can only get bio? Didn't know Texas went straight bio...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, biodiesel has slightly lower btu content. No, I don't think B5 will increase regens. It will result in increased fuel dilution of the motor oil. Many states now mandate B2-B20. No states require B100.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I think gmc had a couple good points there. 40 psi?- no thanks. Drive solo?- unnecessary. Warm temps?- hard to control the weather. 55 mph on the freeway? - again, no thanks. Driving 70-75 mph in the city and 55 mph on the freeway sounds a bit backwards to me. I don't have a wagon myself, but i have never had fuel mileage anywhere near 31 mpg. Driving across west texas at 90 mph with the ac cranked up, I still managed to get 36 mpg. Sounds like something is out of whack. Tire pressure, air filter, fuel quality- something isn't right.
Number one I was NOT writing you.... note it was for OP #1 message from: tdi_assaultwagen... so why you took it personally, I don't know. It's not about you. Sorry :).

• Why no thanks on 40psi? It is well below max pressure... about 10% above "recommended"... it is OK.
  • Why no thanks on 55-60 on freeway? That is the speed limit in my area btw. Then accept the milage you get.
  • You wrote: "Driving across west texas at 90 mph with the ac cranked up, I still managed to get 36 mpg." Great me too, that sounds OK.... any gas car you drive, that in would be in mid/low 20's or less.... The OP wrote they got 31 mpg....
With that said my post was for OP, to put the car in the optimum MPG mode, slower speeds, tires inflated over recommend (but well below max) to get a DATA POINT that one could compare with other MK6 JSW TDI DSG owners... I AM NOT SAYING TO DRIVE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME AND NOT TELLING ANYONE HOW TO DRIVE DAY TO DAY>..

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Having driven through the highways around Reno last year I can see how you'd be afraid of getting nailed. Heck isn't the speed limit 70 there? and typical speeds of motorists 75-85?
Yes drive the speed limit not way under. However most of the country, not desert southwest or Montana have speed limits in the 55-65 mph range.....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Number one I was NOT writing you.... note it was for OP #1 message from: tdi_assaultwagen... so why you took it personally, I don't know. It's not about you. Sorry :).

• Why no thanks on 40psi? It is well below max pressure... about 10% above "recommended"... it is OK.
  • Why no thanks on 55-60 on freeway? That is the speed limit in my area btw. Then accept the milage you get.
  • You wrote: "Driving across west texas at 90 mph with the ac cranked up, I still managed to get 36 mpg." Great me too, that sounds OK.... any gas car you drive, that in would be in mid/low 20's or less.... The OP wrote they got 31 mpg....
With that said my post was for OP, to put the car in the optimum MPG mode, slower speeds, tires inflated over recommend (but well below max) to get a DATA POINT that one could compare with other MK6 JSW TDI DSG owners... I AM NOT SAYING TO DRIVE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME AND NOT TELLING ANYONE HOW TO DRIVE DAY TO DAY>..
Hey chillax buddy. I didn't take anything personally. And my post wasn't addressed at you either. I just found some of your advice comical. What is with all the bold print? BTW - it is much more pleasant for everyone if the posts are congenial.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yes drive the speed limit not way under. However most of the country, not desert southwest or Montana have speed limits in the 55-65 mph range.....
While I don't condone speeding...

In my area I've gone with a change in pace and keeping to the speed limit (50-55mph on my route) to see what I can do to squeeze 700 miles from a tank of diesel. Found that I was being passed by 80-90% of drivers at that speed. bumped it up 5mph to 60pmh and found that the right lane is about right at that speed with many (50-70% of all drivers) passer bys using the left lanes.

I can't speak for everywhere across the US but maybe places I've visited. I can speak for Baltimore and the surrounding areas: Take whatever the speed limit is and add ~7-10mph and you have the speed of the average driver. Most cops refuse to pull you over unless you're driving stupid fast (more then 15mph over) and/or weaving around traffic like a idiot.

Also many areas in the USA are increasing their speed limits to closely match what drivers are driving already. Most states now have speed limits at 70-75MPH.

Rotarykid has a good thread going on this subject:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=379718

Last edited:

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
Managed to get 615 miles out of one tank in the JSW last week driving around Florida mostly cruise control at 65mph. still looking forward to dpf delete.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I love hot weather for mileage (hate it for comfort, it makes me tired). This is parking after my 12 mile commute, 10/90 surface/freeway. Yes I drive 55-60 mph in the 55 mph speed limit....

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.

My mileage is getting better all the time. This was 152mi into my trip from western Washington to eastern Washington. This tank should hand calculate to over 58mpg.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...we hope you will keep us in the loop (hand calc'd 58 MPG is impressive to this sailor).

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
...we hope you will keep us in the loop (hand calc'd 58 MPG is impressive to this sailor).

That tank was an impressive 59.87mpg. Didn't think I would see such numbers from this car.