A day at Diesel Dubs (DPF and EGR valve delete)

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
A day at Diesel Dubs aka GDM (DPF and ASV/EGR valve delete)

Some of you might remember reading a few of my threads regarding issues I've been having with my DPF/EGR system. Rather than having the system fixed (I'm out of warranty), I decided to go with "plan B" which was to delete the DPF and EGR.
Being said, here's my little disclaimer; the DPF delete performed on my vehicle was done solely at my request. I'm fully aware of the Federal emissions law governing these vehicle systems. Conversely, I'm fortunate enough to live in a state where diesel passenger vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. I would not suggest you doing something like this if you live in a state that requires emissions testing for diesel passenger vehicles!
Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, I can begin. Hopefully, this thread can help answer some questions out there for anyone considering going this route. If there's something you need answered that I didn't cover, feel free to ask me.
Probably the most difficult decision for me to make once I decided to delete my DPF was with which vendor to go with. To me, there were really only two viable candidates; Diesel Dubs and Rawtek. I won't go over the material differences between the two systems since they've been hashed over quite well already, but in the end, I chose Diesel Dubs for three reasons:
1. DD is local to me (ok, not that local but a 3 hour drive is still better than Canada), and I like to support local PA businesses.
2. Price. The 2.5" DD pipe was several hundred dollars less than a comparable Rawtek. This translates to an overall lower out of pocket cost.
3. DD offers a turnkey solution meaning that everything is done in one day, in one shop. That includes the tuning also as DD is an authorized Malone dealer.
Once I got to the shop, Les began working on my Golf by removing everything that needed to be taken off before putting the car on the lift. In this photo, you can see the air filter box, air box inlet tube, high pressure EGR tube (the metal tube covered in cheese cloth), the EGR and anti-shudder valves that sit before the intake plenum, and some other assorted bits and pieces.

Once those parts were off, the car was then rolled over to the lift. The subframe did not have to be loosened or removed to drop the DPF filter. Instead, Les chose to loosen the passenger front hub at the ball joint and remove the drive axle instead. Once that was done, the DPF was removed. That's Les in the background...

Here's a shot of the parts that came off the car. You can see the DPF filter, EGR filter, and primary and secondary cat with exhaust flapper. Behind that you can see the passenger side drive axle. The DPF unit alone is a lot heavier than it looks. I'd estimate it to weigh at least 45, maybe 50 pounds. All those components together and it's probably about 70-80 pounds.

Here's a closeup of the Diesel Dubs turbo downpipe before it got installed. Some may say they're not quite as pretty as the Rawtek pieces (the welds on the Rawtek is a work of art), but I think they look great - definitely beefy, thick-walled stainless steel and well constructed with smooth mandrel bends. The bung placement on the DD pipe was also very well thought out.

Another shot of the entire downpipe:

And here's the final picture I snapped that day. I wish I had brought my Canon 5D instead of just my cell phone and taken more pictures. If anyone wants, I can take some better hi-res photos later this weekend and post them. Of course, I don't have a lift at home so what I can take pictures of will be limited.

As you can see from the above shot, the EGR and anti-shudder valves that used to hang off the intake plenum are gone. In their place is Les' new intake "Race Pipe" which does away with the EGR system entirely. The only EGR component that's left in place is the EGR cooler behind the block and under the turbo. Les has told me that they may eventually have a solution to remove the cooler as well once they've come up with an elegant way of rerouting the EGR cooler's liquid coolant lines.
I'm not sure if the race pipe I have is considered a prototype... I think Les said they have 3 (including mine) in the wild already. The only downside to the race pipe is that the oil dipstick tube is only secured by one nut at the bottom rather than two. The oil dipstick tube is normally attached to one of the EGR valves. Les did say that they're working on either a V2 pipe or some sort of bracket to address this issue.
So how does it run?
The tune I got was a Malone stage II with econotune and EGR delete. The DD pipe has no cats or resonators and goes straight back to the OE exhaust. It's not loud and there's no drone. Stomp on the gas though, and the exhaust noise turns into a violent melody. Turbo whistle is also very audible now. The best part? The Golf can now spin its tires in 2nd and 6th gear passes are a lot of fun. Les seems to think the car is generating over 350 ft. pounds torque as I can feel the DMF dampeners chattering in 6th when torque peak is reached and the engine is under load; i.e. passing up a hill.
I'll have to get the car dyno'd to confirm but my seat-of-the-pants dynamometer is telling me that something is seriously different. The car had spunk for a diesel before, but step on the long pedal now and it's like a pissed off cat with its tail on fire.
Finally, gas mileage? I'd be lucky if I averaged 41-42 per tank in the past. With what I've seen so far, I think high 40s to low 50s is easily attainable. Nothing but grins on my face, and definitely well worth the money. Les is also a great guy, easy to talk to, and takes pride in his work. I highly recommend him and DD for any sort of TDI work. :D
  • these modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in the these messages
  • it is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

Last edited:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Any discounts for getting everything done at once? what was you all in price? (including labor?)
No discounts unfortunately, but the total price paid was less than if I went and bought the Rawtek (consider shipping), then having a local guru install, plus remove ECU and pay shipping both ways to Malone for tuning. I also couldn't have the car down for more than a day since it's my daily driver.

Your best bet would be to call Les for a quote. Not sure what forum policy is here when quoting prices so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the post! Any new smells or exhaust smoke noticed?
Yeah, funky acrid smell on engine start. Usually dissipates after a minute or two. As for smoke, can't see it when driving but I did watch Gordon over at DD take the car out for a vagcom test drive after the ECU was installed. When he left the lot and accelerated hard, black smoke was visible from the tail pipe. :D

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
So no DPF means that tiny particles of soot are spewing into the atmosphere?
Yes sir!

I join the ranks of all the evil ice melting, tree killing, seal clubbing ALH and PD powered VWs plus, old MB diesels, buses, semi trucks, farm tractors, military trucks and tanks, diesel trains, power plants, ocean liners, and jet aircraft.

I highly suggest putting one of these on if you're concerned:

My next mod will be a horn that sounds like an air raid siren so you'll know when I'm right around the corner. :D

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
You were able to derive "jubilation" from that post? Wow, you're good. Got any other neat tricks? :D

Edit: Apologies for the sarcastic remarks. It's been a long day. Anyway, before the thread gets out of hand, I understand the concern people have when it comes to air pollution. I have two young children and their health and safety is paramount. I also believe that every human being on this planet has the right to breath clean air. That's something I believe in. Was removing the DPF from my vehicle contrary to that belief? Yes, it was. Unfortunately however, no amount of reasoning will ever convince someone that's already made up their mind that what I've done was a travesty to the human race. So with that said, I'll save myself some time and end this little dialogue by stating that I had certain important reasons to do what I did. Sorry if my actions don't jive with your life views.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
So no DPF means that tiny particles of soot are spewing into the atmosphere?
the exhaust of this engine with everything removed is far cleaner than my 1991 Jetta D, cleaner than my 94 Eco-D TD powered Jetta TD!

Probably cleaner than the tailpipe of my B4 Passat TDI. Maybe cleaner than my last ALH car......

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
It might smoke less on acceleration if you put the tire back on.
LOL. To be honest, the black smoke was a momentary puff... not some long, thick, billowing stream that you'd see coming out of a bus in Jaipur with a blown turbo. It's really not very noticeable unless you're outside the car and the person driving it is standing on the gas pedal.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the price range for all this?
I still don't know what the forum's policy is on discussing prices from vendors, but let's just say that everything was under $1800.00 including tax.

Kenn JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Given that cost vs. the cost of replacing a DPF (maybe about the same?), it's going to make sense for a lot of people to go this route, especially given other advantages (mpg, power, no more possible DPF issues). I can see some regulatory concern in the future. Maybe a mandate that the emission system be covered for life by the manufacturer. I could also see VW stop importing diesels if that happened. But it would also be really nice if the replacement/maintenance DPF cost was more in line with something like a timing belt. It would be really nice if a DPF were designed with a removable panel where you could remove the old clogged guts and replace for a cost of maybe $150 for the parts.

I know that some places regenerate/clean DPF's but it doesn't seem clear from people discussing it if they can really do it for the VW DPF. (even if listed on their website).

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Did you get the plain pipe, pipe with cat, or pipe with cat and resonator?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Given that cost vs. the cost of replacing a DPF (maybe about the same?), it's going to make sense for a lot of people to go this route, especially given other advantages (mpg, power, no more possible DPF issues). I can see some regulatory concern in the future. Maybe a mandate that the emission system be covered for life by the manufacturer. I could also see VW stop importing diesels if that happened. But it would also be really nice if the replacement/maintenance DPF cost was more in line with something like a timing belt. It would be really nice if a DPF were designed with a removable panel where you could remove the old clogged guts and replace for a cost of maybe $150 for the parts.

I know that some places regenerate/clean DPF's but it doesn't seem clear from people discussing it if they can really do it for the VW DPF. (even if listed on their website).
You pretty much summed up my rationale behind deleting the DPF. I've been having problems with the emissions system in my Golf since the odometer passed 37k miles. I now have 63k miles and it was just getting worse. CEL galore every day. I approached the dealer at 37k miles and they told me that nothing was wrong, and if there was something wrong, none of the EGR components were no longer covered under warranty. If the DPF was going bad, then I'd have to pay for a diagnostic fee and if there was an issue, then *maybe* it'd be covered by the federal 80k emissions warranty. In the end, I decided to spare myself the time lost and aggravation with having to deal with the dealer.

Another thing that most people who are against DPF deletes also fail to consider is the mining of the precious metals that are used in the DPF filters. Mining is not an eco friendly process. Each time a DPF is replaced, it's either cleaned (finite amounts) and/or eventually disposed off. New DPF filters as mentioned earlier are created from mined precious metals. There's also electricity, tooling, and factory man hours required to make a new filter. So in the end, ask yourselves what's more harmful to the environment?

BTW, cleaning this DPF doesn't seem possible without having to cut the canister open. It'd have to be welded back once the filter material was cleaned. Doesn't look to be a cheap or short time-framed activity, especially if done by the dealer.

interested as to why you deleted the anti shutter valve too
So that's what that other flapper valve is called. To be honest, when I asked Les about it, he said that valve didn't really serve too much of a purpose other than to ensure the engine shut off smoothly. It wouldn't prevent a runaway. Without the shutter valve in place, I have noticed that when stopping the engine, there's a little more vibration than before but apart from that, the engine still starts and stops like before.

Anyway, the race pipe provides a clear air path from intercooler into intake manifold. No more central obstructions. With diesels, throttle is controlled by fuel metering rather than air, but in my opinion, it can't hurt to have an unrestricted intake.

any better mpgs?
Yes, my first fill up was this morning after performing the modifications. I got about 44.8 mpg without trying. On the way home tonight, the MFD said I averaged almost 48 mpg. I've NEVER seen those numbers on my way home as I'm going up a mountain.

Did you get the plain pipe, pipe with cat, or pipe with cat and resonator?
Straight pipe with no cat or resonator. The pipe terminates into the stock exhaust. There's no drone with this configuration. Exhaust volume is louder than before and gives a nice growl when accelerating.

Last edited:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
One other thing I forgot to mention; now that the DPF is gone, I don't have to run a low-SAPS 507 spec oil anymore. Will probably try Rotella T6 next oil change right before sub zero temps hit. Any other suggestions?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green

I talk to this company at the fest, they said can do DPF system for VW. The price was $500 dollars. DPF Regeneration.com LLC is the company. He told me he gets more crap out on the Nox filter than the DPF. They blow it out and use some type of chemical cleaning and put in oven for 12 hrs.

Last edited:

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
The tune I got was a Malone stage II with econotune and EGR delete.
With econotune? What does that mean, I thought it was either Stage II which is power plus the advantage of having econotune combined, or just econotune which is a tune to delete the dpf without the added power?

By the way just got mine done by Les last week, love it.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
I talk to this company at the fest, they said can do DPF system for VW. The price was $500 dollars. DPF Regeneration.com LLC is the company. He told me he gets more crap out on the Nox filter than the DPF. They blow it out and use some type of chemical cleaning and put in oven for 12 hrs.
Plus shipping, plus removal and reinstallation labor costs if you didn't do it yourself (it's not that easy or quick to take out), downtime without your car. I think it's incredibly stupid that these things aren't just built to be cleaned cheap and easily, I'm sure they will be in the future but for now, goodbye DPF.

Last edited:

beba2010

TDI
2011 JSW DSG
Great thread, good info for when the SPF goes out. Your time and pictures were nice

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
With econotune? What does that mean, I thought it was either Stage II which is power plus the advantage of having econotune combined, or just econotune which is a tune to delete the dpf without the added power?
By the way just got mine done by Les last week, love it.
Econotune can be added to stage II. If you had the tune done by Les and it's stage II as well, then I'm certain yours has it also. Les has Malone code the stage II maps with the econotune feature for power and fuel economy. Did you do the EGR/Shutter valve delete too?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a viable option IF the DPF is physically fine. It won't help if the DPF is cracked or completely clogged. Plus, baking the DPF sounds an awful lot like what's currently happening during a regen.

Also, Jay hit the nail on the head when he mentioned labor, removal and reinstallation plus downtime. That's fine if you have a second vehicle and can afford to be without your TDI for at least a few days.