Exhaust Flap TSB

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Obviously it applies to 2013 models as well although the TSB states 2009 to 2012 mode years.

My neighbor just had his replaced under warranty on his 2013 TDI even though he was well beyond the standard warranty 80K kilometer limit.

If that exhaust flapper is an emissions component, then the standard warranty does not apply and it falls under an emissions warranty.

Parkyrides

TDI
2012 Golf 6 spd man
Just pulled the P047F code on my 2012 Golf with 49,200 mi. Going to dealership tomorrow.. I just picked this car up a couple of weeks ago from a private sale.

3/25 Dealer replaced the parts under warranty today. Thanks again for the warranty support, and it was not even needed as its a known issue now.

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My neighbor just had his replaced under warranty on his 2013 TDI even though he was well beyond the standard warranty 80K kilometer limit.
Correction on that having just spoken with my neighbor to get some feedback. He was just under the 80K kilometer warranty limit.

jsl262

TDI
vw passat
p048c 2013 passat?

I just reached 40,000 and the code "P048C" has appeared. I've trying to locate a copy of the bulletin to determine if I am covered under the emissions warranty. Can anyone link me to the "tsb # vwp-13-05 dated 3-12-2013" or even better suggest how do be prepeared if the dealer is ignorant or unethical as to my coverage. Thanks guys.

jsl262

TDI
vw passat
Exhaust flapper

Obviously it applies to 2013 models as well although the TSB states 2009 to 2012 mode years.

If that exhaust flapper is an emissions component, then the standard warranty does not apply and it falls under an emissions warranty.
Thanks I emailed VWOA about my issue. Waiting for a reponse.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
2013 passat tdi diesel (40,000) exhaust flap (P048C) was repaired under emissions warranty. I'm in Boston,Ma.
If it is part of the emission system (good news as I am not familiar with the workings of that system), then I believe the warranty up here is 8 years and I'm not sure about the kilometer limitation.

air1mtt

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI: took buyout, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI: took buyout
VoA only reimbursed me for the parts but not the labor. Still cut the cost considerably. Garnet Valley VW gave me 10% of the labor cost. Better than nothing but it should have been covered.

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
Had an appointment at 9 am for codes p048 & p047. I was out the door at 9:55 with a washed car that needed it and a new exhaust flap with seals and clamps! Happy camper!

arrzilla

TDI
2009 Candy White Jetta Sedan.
I got the P047F code along with a few other ignition timing DTCs.

I told the service advisor I already scanned it and gave her the codes. I also told her it was the exhaust flap issue.

She said they still need to do their own scan ($109.95). This would be waived if the DTC was under warranty.

She took one look at my VIN and said that my vehicle wasnt covered.

I told her to cancel the diagnostic scan and to please give me paperwork showing why it's not covered. I also tried to show her the exact TSB pdf file from my phone. I told her I think I'm covered as per that pdf file.

She left, came back and said a page didnt print out that said my vehicle WAS covered.

She then said that to clear the ignition timing DTCs, I need to pay for an ECU update ($109.95) before they can fix it. I told her to skip it.

The exhaust flap was subsequently fixed and all codes have disappeared.

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Wow, they really went out of their way to try to extract some money from you. I'd steer clear of that dealership!

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
p047 and 048 codes, 57k km 2012 golf in canada.... what are my chances on getting some love from my dealer in ottawa?

cholmes100

TDI
2012 Passat Highline
I have CE light that codes to this. After a "thorough" inspection it turned out that a rock or something struck the plug and broke the plastic casing which led to water getting in it. I would love someone to give me a part number for the harness if possible so I can repair it. I doubt warranty will cover that.

lance2214

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Ok.... I admit it.. not a SportWagen but.... I have the P0401 Code.

It has been occurring intermittently since last year. Actually just once and I cleared it with VCDS. The MIL was triggered last week again with the code and I figured I would clear it and deal with it if it came back. Well, this morning its back. I made an appointment with the dealership and expect a smooth process... we will see. I am prepared with the TSB and Extended Warranty letter and a previous case number from VW Care from last year when I took the car in and told me it wasn't covered.

I will keep you guys updated.

lance2214

TDI
Update:

Took it in to the dealer and about an hour and a half later the service advisor came back with a diagnostic print out (I'll try to get a copy for my records). The service advisor stated the code I had pulled P041, and I casually said "yeah the EGR Flap is sticking", to my surprise he said "No, we need to replace the DPF, insufficient air flow". :eek:

When I scanned it I also checked the Ash load volume and it appeared Normal at 33ml for my 32K mileage.

Car currently at the dealership, service advisor stated it was all covered under warranty and that he would begin gathering the necessary parts.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Update:

Took it in to the dealer and about an hour and a half later the service advisor came back with a diagnostic print out (I'll try to get a copy for my records). The service advisor stated the code I had pulled P041, and I casually said "yeah the EGR Flap is sticking", to my surprise he said "No, we need to replace the DPF, insufficient air flow". :eek:

When I scanned it I also checked the Ash load volume and it appeared Normal at 33ml for my 32K mileage.

Car currently at the dealership, service advisor stated it was all covered under warranty and that he would begin gathering the necessary parts.
DPF at 32k, that seems odd.... Glad it's all covered!

djali79

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr 6sp man
Just read about this TSB today. Wish I would have paid closer attention, since I'm at 125k now and the CEL has been on and off for about 10-15k. It's been steadily on for the last 4k or so now. Have an appointment Friday for some kind of ECU update, hoping that they will scan the car at that time, see the timestamp on the code, and (fingers crossed) replace the flap. Probably won't happen though.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
It really is not a great idea to drive these cars with a MIL lit without knowing what is up.

lance2214

TDI
I received my car this morning. I had a loaner over the weekend a Beetle convertible classic edition. I must say its a great value for the price on that beetle definitely fun to drive and that 1.8T is buttery smooth with great low end torque. I am very impressed with that motor and my wife wants one...I told her to wait 30 days then decide (Her 13' Jetta Tdi might be for sale.)
Anyways to my repair, the process was very smooth and I was very pleased with the service provided by the dealership and VW in general. They definitely stand behind their product to address the emission system which they covered under warranty on my Salvage title car (Emission is covered un California law regardless of title type).
Excellent work by all involved and this VW customer will continue to recommend their products.
I attached a picture of the invoice for illustration purposes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91264659@N08/17184305310/

wanabe

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Laser Blue, manual transmission
I received my car this morning. I had a loaner over the weekend a Beetle convertible classic edition. I must say its a great value for the price on that beetle definitely fun to drive and that 1.8T is buttery smooth with great low end torque. I am very impressed with that motor and my wife wants one...I told her to wait 30 days then decide (Her 13' Jetta Tdi might be for sale.)
Anyways to my repair, the process was very smooth and I was very pleased with the service provided by the dealership and VW in general. They definitely stand behind their product to address the emission system which they covered under warranty on my Salvage title car (Emission is covered un California law regardless of title type).
Excellent work by all involved and this VW customer will continue to recommend their products.
I attached a picture of the invoice for illustration purposes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91264659@N08/17184305310/
flickr says page not found

crazy_pikachu

TDI
JSW
Took my 2013 Sportwagen with 54K miles in to the dealer in February for a check engine light. After the car was completed they told me that it was the exhaust flap but it was covered under the extended warranty for the part. Now yesterday I just got a bill from the dealer for $500.45 stating that the part was not covered under warrenty afterall. What are my options, anyone else got this notification yet and who do you suggest i go after to get this resolved. If i would have known it was this expensive I would have replaced it myself.

Tkwod83

TDI
'13 Jetta tdi 6M
Took my 2013 Sportwagen with 54K miles in to the dealer in February for a check engine light. After the car was completed they told me that it was the exhaust flap but it was covered under the extended warranty for the part. Now yesterday I just got a bill from the dealer for $500.45 stating that the part was not covered under warrenty afterall. What are my options, anyone else got this notification yet and who do you suggest i go after to get this resolved. If i would have known it was this expensive I would have replaced it myself.
I feel your pain, in short I'd tell them to F off they made a mistake not your problem...unless in your paperwork it says something to the affect, "I agree to pay for services not covered by warranty upon notice of non coverage"....and a little search turned this up http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=329872 best of luck to you sir and another notch in the "don't trust the dealer ship"belt.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/Handbooks/MNCarLaws/MNCarLaws_3.asp

I guess it all depends on how the repair developed.

you could be on the hook for part of it.

I might be tempted to start with a discussion with the service manager, clearly state your concern, and let them know you would have done it yourself.

did you diagnose before bringing it in, or just drop off with the check engine light?

You might be able to talk them into settling for your avoided cost for the valve and associated parts.

(might want to have an internet price or two in your pocket)

crazy_pikachu

TDI
JSW
Took my 2013 Sportwagen with 54K miles in to the dealer in February for a check engine light. After the car was completed they told me that it was the exhaust flap but it was covered under the extended warranty for the part. Now yesterday I just got a bill from the dealer for $500.45 stating that the part was not covered under warranty after all. What are my options, anyone else got this notification yet and who do you suggest i go after to get this resolved. If i would have known it was this expensive I would have replaced it myself.

Spoke with the service manager of my local VW Dealer and he looked into it for me. VW is going to cover the part and the labor. Everything is resolved. Thank you for the responses that I did receive on my 2013 JSW regarding the exhaust flap.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I was just told by my dealer that my car (2012 JSW TDI) is NOT covered, and that I will get dinged for a $140 diagnostic fee. I dropped it off earlier this morning, after a check engine light had appeared with code 047F, and handed them the exhaust flap warranty extension notice. The service writer did contact VW, and supposedly their reply was that my car is not covered.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Call VW yourself with your VIN. See if they tell you the same thing. Then you can ask why your car is excluded.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I was just told by my dealer that my car (2012 JSW TDI) is NOT covered, and that I will get dinged for a $140 diagnostic fee. I dropped it off earlier this morning, after a check engine light had appeared with code 047F, and handed them the exhaust flap warranty extension notice. The service writer did contact VW, and supposedly their reply was that my car is not covered.
What's the milage on the car?