What ramps do you guys use for your MKVI?

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
My current ramps are too steep to drive up without the bumper hitting them, so I use two 2"x6" boards leaned on the ramps to reduce the approach angle and avoid scraping.

The only ramps I can source locally are the composite ones from autozone. Idk if the angle is gradual enough to avoid scaping with these ramps, just curious to see what everyone else is using.

I could run by and take one out of the store and try and slide it under the car, but I'm at work now lol

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I used to use Rhino Ramps, but I always had issues with them shooting out from under the wheels when trying to drive up them.

I bit the bullet, and ended up getting Race Ramps.

http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-56-inch-car-service-ramps.aspx

They are kind of spendy, but they are totally worth it, especially considering how often you will need to get your VW up in the air to diagnose and fix things. Even if you just use for maintenance, it is totally woth it. They are foam, with a bedliner like coating on them, that makes them grip well. Ive seen videos of people driving up them when on ice! They come apart for easy storage, and are light.

You can also get a set of these:

http://www.raceramps.com/8-inch-wheel-cribs.aspx

Just drive up the ramps, jack up the rear, and put the cribs under the rear wheels, and you easily and safely have your car up in the air, and level.

I also use these for my 2013 4runner that weighs 4,500 lbs, with no issues.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
x2 on the race ramps. Almost got killed under rhino ramps with a truck using their heavy duty 6K lb ones. Collapsed! lucky was 4x4 or would have been gone. Pictures being used at an oil company part of their HR safety stuff.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I made my own ramps, work on every car, even lowered. If you're too lowered, just make each section a little longer, and they don't slide when you try to drive up, work each time without error.

Last edited:

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I also have a set of Rhino Ramps, but have seen similar issues as mentioned already. I'm always worried they will slide forward whenever I'm starting up them. A few times, I've had to brace them to prevent them from sliding.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I try to firmly place Rhino ramps under the front wheels before driving up, no issues shooting out with the VWs. My M3 was a problem because of the low ground cleareance.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Not exactly an answer to your question... I don't drive my car up on ramps. I use hydraulic lifting jack(s) to lift it, then place jackstand under a suitable area of subframe.

When lifting the car, a common lift point is at the pinch weld area, either just behind the front wheel, or just ahead of the rear wheel- often there's a triangle mark or some such, stamped into the sheet metal, indicating lift point. (refer to owner's manual). When lifting at the pinch weld, it's important that the lifting jack is equipped with something like this...

http://protechproducts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=35_37

which straddles the pinch-welded portion without crushing it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I made my own ramps, work on every car, even lowered. If you're too lowered, just make each section a little longer, and they don't slide when trying to drive up, work each time without error.

I really like this idea. Other than that, I don't use ramps, I use jackstands. Years ago I tried driving up on ramps, and they were spit out causing severe damage to the front valance. My opinion, is for the most part, ramps are garbage and will eventually damage your car.

Efchou

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 6spd
Petersen Tru-cut automotive ramps are really nice, I don't know if they are discontinued or not, but I have the UR9020's which have an adjustable extension for lower cars. Hope this helps!

sc00byd00311

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta (Zubie)
I also like bmwm5's ramps. I read the reviews for those rhino ramps and there are just waaaaay too many failures of those things. And there is at least one post on this thread for them too. Nah man, I'm going to home depot and getting me some wood. Thanks all!

TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI
JSW
For you guys that have problems with the ramps shooting out. Tie a length of rope to the leading edge of each ramp. The two pieces of rope each need to be the length of the car. Lay the rope on the ground parallel to each other and drive on the full length of rope while going up the ramps. While the front tires are climbing up the ramps, the rears are on the ropes preventing the ramps to shoot out.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I also like bmwm5's ramps. I read the reviews for those rhino ramps and there are just waaaaay too many failures of those things. And there is at least one post on this thread for them too. Nah man, I'm going to home depot and getting me some wood. Thanks all!
I also used some lumber for my ramps

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I have Rhino ramps. Be careful. You can not always just motor up at almost zero speed; on some surfaces, even asphalt or concrete, especially smoothed concrete in a typical garage, the torque will cause them to get pulled into the car (one side), verses the whole car going up them. I take a rolling start. Then you have to be careful to not overshoot them and drive past them. I have a large rubber mat I put them on, to keep them from sliding around. It less scary now. They do make me nervous getting them up the ramp, but they are great for quick oil change.... I like the home made wood ones Gents.... good work.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
+1 on the ramps getting pulled under the car by the wheels. I stapled the rubber anti-slip matting that goes under area rugs to the bottom of my wooden ramps to keep them stationary when driving my Golf up. My AWD Touareg goes up with ease.

BTW, five lengths of 2X10's got me 8" of lift. How high are the Rhino Ramps?

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
+1 on the ramps getting pulled under the car by the wheels. I stapled the rubber anti-slip matting that goes under area rugs to the bottom of my wooden ramps to keep them stationary when driving my Golf up. My AWD Touareg goes up with ease.

BTW, five lengths of 2X10's got me 8" of lift. How high are the Rhino Ramps?
a tad over six and a half inches..

I use them mostly in the drive, which has a good texture on it.

did use them on the garage floor without a problem.

they have a couple non-slip rubber parts on the bottom, but if your floor was really slick, I could see it might be an issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EGAIJ2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

these have a lip on the sides, and a nice bump at the end to keep/help keep you from driving too far and falling off the ramp.

similar features would be a good idea on home made ramps.

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
I'm liking the idea of some 2x10s. Seems like the safest bet and cheap.