p1248 need some help.

willyraz

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I was driving my 2000 manual TDI Jetta on the Highway yesterday. Car lost all power and died. I can not restart. Cranks but will not fire. Using my Vag-Com I have a code P1248 (injection pump timing) Car will not run so I can't see what timing is. I checked the timing belt, pulled valve cover and appears timing marks and pump are on. How can you check the pump? are there was to use the vag-com. Not sure what direction to go in. Any help much appreciated .

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
so you did confirm that the flywheel, the crank, the IP and the cam are dead on? no more than .5 a tooth off?
If so check your fuses and relays first. I highly suspect that the timing is off otherwise its an issue with the IP not getting the right voltages or sending the right signals. double check your timeing and the tension position of the belt tensioner.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Here read this post.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208490

NutsandBolts wrote:

Injection start control is never good. It indicates that internally, the pump cannot correctly time the start of injection. If you want to condemn the pump last, then there are a couple of things to check:

-Make sure that the connector to the needle lift sensor on the #3 injector is tight, and that the wire appears to be in good shape. The injection pump determines when the start of injection actually happens by watching that injector, then adjusting the timing ring accordingly.

-Make sure that the bolts holding the pulley onto the injection pump are tight, and do no appear to have moved. This one is a long shot, but it's possible that the timing (when checked in relation to the crank) is jumping around a little, and the pump can't compensate fast enough.

Otherwise, I would say that the timing ring is sticking a little, and the only way to correct it without getting into the pump is to try running some Lube-Moly Diesel Purge through the pump (just pull the fuel supply and return lines off of the filter and put them in a jar of the diesel purge, then run it until the stuff is gone). I've had amazing results with that stuff, and the pump may just need a little TLC. If that doesn't work, then I'd say that an 11mm upgrade is in your future...

-Rich

Edit: The soleniod on the bottom of the pump controls the timing ring- I suppose that it's possible that the finger that engages the ring is worn, which could make the ring float around a little bit. That would also screw up the start of injection timing. How brave to you feel? You could take the solenoid out and have a look-see, but I don't recommend taking anything on the pump apart with it in the car. I'd rather have it on the bench to catch any parts that roll out (I had it happen on a 6.2l pump- won't do that again! Bench only for me.)

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
had that exact same problem at around 800,000kms. Turned out to be wiring from pump to ECU. Found it by simply ohming between ECU and 10 pin pump connector. If the problem is constantly happening the timing is so far off it just wont run i guess. With mine after sitting for a bit mine would sometimes fire and work for awhile then shut off again. Man I love intermittent connection problems

willyraz

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
p1248 need some help

Finally got my parts. So today I replaced the timing belt. Car still dos not start. YES Timing is on. Hooked up the jar. This pump does not seem to be taking the fuel. Is there anything else I can try before condemning the IP. Fuses are good and I have check engine light and glow plug lights on when I turn on the ignition. HELP!!!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
posted in your new thread about this.
TLDR, 109 relay and shutoff solenoid diagnose