License plate bulb out; both fail?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
So I got the notification today that a bulb was out, but I missed the message the first few times I started the car. I checked every bulb I could think, not remembering that the car would tell me where to look. I had an epiphany that it was my reverse lights...nope! It was at that time I shut the key off and turned it back on and saw the message. Doh! So much scrambling for no reason!

Anyway, I pull the bulb holders out of the rear and ohm them to find only one is blown, but neither of them work.

I didn't see a fuse for these, but just in case, I verified continuity for all inside the cab.

I'll be headed to the parts store later this evening, but I find it odd that if one bulb is out, neither will work. Or is there a possibility I have other issues?

Thanks!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
play with the bulbs a bit, you may have an intermittent connection, else a broken wire,

I would put a new pair of bulbs in and see if that fixes your problem.

not sure if that circuit will refuse to provide voltage until a connected bulb is sensed, but others do on that car. (so don't assume there should be 12 or 14 volts on the socket with the headlights turned on)

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the bulbs, but when it's 10* out, I think I'll wait until tomorrow. I will report back.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I just bought Sylvania's from O'Reileys. Put them in the morning and the both work. Either I've had one out for a while and it didn't notify me until the second one blew, or they both went out simultaneously.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Are the license plate bulbs wired in series?

If so, that would explain why when one blows they both go out. The blown bulb creates an open circuit.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't really know. But I would think that would not be a smart way to wire them.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
They are not in series.

my guess is that the connection was jiggled when you took them out. (lamp to socket)

I changed mine out on the spot when it failed inspection. thinking back, it could be that the diagnostic only checks one of the lamps. I do not remember seeing an error message before the inspection, but do recall seeing the message for lic plate lamps before.

congrats on a job well done.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I pulled both bulbs to ohm them and installed the one that I thought was good. Even with the fixture hanging out it didn't work. Replaced bulbs and let them hanging out and they worked. I guess I should have tried it with just one, but I didn't and that sounds more appealing when the weather is a bit warmer.

I'm happy they work now, just felt it odd they both were gone.