Fuel Gelling Issues

ctxj90

TDI
98 jetta TDI
My 98 Jetta is good for at least one gelling incident every year. It was freakin cold last night/this morning here in CT (-9 F) and sure enough the car died on the way home at 2:30am. I blasted 3/4 of a bottle of diesel 911 in there with no effect. So I just left the car where it was for the night.

I religiously use Power Service in the car, and the previous owner used Howes and still experienced this problem. Car will always start up when its cold, maybe run a little bit rough for a second or two but immediately even out and run great. I've had it happen twice on the highway and once on a backroad at this point. It's pretty aggravating.

If I know its going to be super cold I'll usually fuel up that day to get some ground temperature fuel in there. Generally that will keep the gelling issues at bay.

The car has 225k on it, new fuel filter as of september and a new Injection Pump at that time as well. Once I rolled it off the wrecker in my driveway, I was able to get it to fire up and run normal. It had warmed up to a balmy -1 F by that point.

I was wondering if anybody else has these issues and if there's a top secret fix that I don't know about. Thanks in advance and I apologize for the essay.

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
I had a similar situation with my '90 Dodge Cummins. Like you, I always used a diesel fuel treatment during the winter months, mostly Power Service, always bought fuel at a station with a good reputation.

On cold mornings such as the one we had here in the Northeast today, I would got out and start the truck, no problems, always kept it plugged in.
In a couple of cases the truck would die after 10 or 15 minutes of idling. On another occasion, I got about 5 miles down the road before she quit. I also blamed this on fuel gelling,, but after a while realized that even mildly treated fuel shouldn't be causing this. Sometimes the truck would start when the temperature went up, once I had to crack the injectors open, bleed out any air before it started.

The cause of this in my case was a very tiny pin hole in the fuel line. At very low temperatures, this little hole would be enough to introduce air into the system, giving the same symptoms as fuel gelling. Not sure if this applies here, but it was frustrating to have it happen after knowing full well that I was doing everything I could to prevent the problem.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I have had it gel in bitter cold like this in the past, but diesel 911 would cure it. And I found it only happened if the fuel was from a specific station nearby that I no longer buy from. Its a truck stop too, which is why I used to go. Since I stopped buying fuel there I have not had a gelling problem, even this weekend. If diesel 911 isn't working it may be something else.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
Mine is currently sitting waiting for warmer weather I picked up water and a fuel station I don't usually use and it's frozen solid in the filter second winter in a row iv had an event like this but it's not usually the fuel it's been water both times

ctxj90

TDI
98 jetta TDI
On days where it wasn't quite as cold, maybe 1-4 degrees I've had it start to give me issues. Fortunately I was able to pull over and 911 it before it completely died, and it continued to run fine the rest of the day. But when the engine has already stalled, I'm wondering how effective the fuel treatment is that point. If the lines are plugged with goo, how does it circulate the treatment through the system?

When it completely dies, I usually just leave the car (if its not on the side of the road) and come back when the temps have come up. It will usually start right up and I just drive it home.

I've never noticed any fuel leaks with this car, but I guess that doesn't rule out the possibility of a pin hole somewhere.

I didn't check the drain on the filter so it's possible there could be water in there. I always fill up at high traffic gas stations as well.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Love the PD, but I bet it hates me....
Running about B50, no treatment other than pump diesel for the other half, it was bucking and sputtering once up to about 50 mph and slight upgrades on Sunday afternoon (-5F), but was able to maintain 35 with no problem. I know it was close to gelling, and without the PD lift pump and tandem pump I'm sure my prior, VE suction fed TDI wouldn't have even started.
No I didn't continue. I turned tail and headed home.
I took her VE Golf with B25 instead.
Monday it was -5, but for the relatively slow speed commute to work it was fine.
Today it was +5F in the AM, +50F for the trip home.

Last edited:

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
So you believe that the issue ctxj90 described was fuel gelling? Even with treated fuel? I'm not questioning your diagnosis, just want to file this valuable information away for the next cold snap. What struck me as odd was the fact that he stated that the car had a history of this problem, previous owner used Howe's Lubricant, I believe he was using PowerService, same result. Is there anything other than fuel gelling that could cause these symptoms in extreme cold? Are the B4/A3's more prone to cold weather problems because of the fuel system design? I ventured out in -6 with my B4 without too much hesitation, thinking I was good to go with winter blend fuel and plenty of fuel treatment. Now I may think differently.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The B4 does not have a design issue related to cold weather, trust me. I've started mine unaided at -35°F before and many times to -20°F without issue. I always use Power Service in every tank, it's good stuff.

The car dying on the way home sounds like a fuel starvation issue, specifically between the filter and tank. I'd have a look at or replace the two check valves near the fuel tank since one may be freezing up, restricting or choking off flow. People have drilled them out but they can still be had new.

96powerstroke

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Ford Powerstroke (I know, its not a "TDI" haha); '98 Jetta TDI
My 98 Jetta is good for at least one gelling incident every year. It was freakin cold last night/this morning here in CT (-9 F) and sure enough the car died on the way home at 2:30am. I blasted 3/4 of a bottle of diesel 911 in there with no effect. So I just left the car where it was for the night.
I religiously use Power Service in the car, and the previous owner used Howes and still experienced this problem. Car will always start up when its cold, maybe run a little bit rough for a second or two but immediately even out and run great. I've had it happen twice on the highway and once on a backroad at this point. It's pretty aggravating.
If I know its going to be super cold I'll usually fuel up that day to get some ground temperature fuel in there. Generally that will keep the gelling issues at bay.
The car has 225k on it, new fuel filter as of september and a new Injection Pump at that time as well. Once I rolled it off the wrecker in my driveway, I was able to get it to fire up and run normal. It had warmed up to a balmy -1 F by that point.
I was wondering if anybody else has these issues and if there's a top secret fix that I don't know about. Thanks in advance and I apologize for the essay.
are you sure it's a fuel gelling issue? I'm in northwestern NJ and there have been many a times last winter where I had nothing in the tank except fuel (no anti-gellin additives) and the car started (albeit a little hesitant) and ran fine when the weather was steady at 15f. I started using the stanadyne performance stuff this past year, particularly for the lubrication benefits but also for anti-gel.

Just something to consider.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
The B4 does not have a design issue related to cold weather, trust me. I've started mine unaided at -35°F before and many times to -20°F without issue. I always use Power Service in every tank, it's good stuff.

The car dying on the way home sounds like a fuel starvation issue, specifically between the filter and tank. I'd have a look at or replace the two check valves near the fuel tank since one may be freezing up, restricting or choking off flow. People have drilled them out but they can still be had new.
Where does someone buy the check valves?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Here is where the valves are located:

Supply check valve: 3A0201542

Return check valve: 165201542

I'd just Google them to see where to buy and who has them. I have not had to buy them but have looked them up in the past.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help!
I think I will throw a set of those in when I replace my broken sending unit