www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old January 13th, 2018, 00:37   #1
Jakub

Default Brm Black black smoke, wonít drive P0131,P0101

I have read thru the lists and canít find an answer for this issue in any of them.

06 Jetta TDI Brm auto

I just relplqced the turbo and the car started up and ran perfect

Started it the next morning and drove it for a mile. First stop sign the car started stumbling or hesitating but then after 15mph it ran fine. Next stop sign stumbles more and black smoke then got up to speed and drove 45 mph fine. After the next stop I could never get the car up to speed again. Tons of black smoke when accelerating and car has no paper just blows smoke.

Getting a P0131 for 02 Sensor and p0101 for MAF

Iíve checked compression
Iíve checked egr valve by replacing it from my other car
I checked the MAF by switching from my other car
And I swapped my 02 sensors and still no fix

I can say when the car is cold itís more responsive and as it gets warmer itís smokes and responds less

Any idea what I can check ?
Can the electronic actuator be causing air meter issues ?

Help please
Jakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:54   #2
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

The only suggestion I can think of is the fuel temperature sensor. The FTS is located in the return fuel line just to the right of oil filter housing. check the wiring for cracked and crossed wires causing intermittent shorts.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:08   #3
Jakub

I was wondering what that sensor was. I’ll try that.
All I can say is as the engine gets warmer the smoke gets crazier.
Do those have a tendency to go bad?
What are their symptoms?
Thanks for the suggestion
Old January 15th, 2018, 14:40   #4
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Try disconnecting it. I know if the two wires are shorted it thinks it is -60 C. when that happens it misfires and runs rough from way to much fuel.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 19:59   #5
Jakub

I tried the temp sensor and no luck.
Also, tried swapping the camshaft sensor and rechecked timing

Quick add on. Original the engine had a glow plug break and bent valves and damaged the piston. All that was replaced along with a complete new head.

The compression is good on all pistons
If I unplug the turbo intercooler pipe so no boost pressure is being achieved then
The car doesn’t smoke
When I rev the car up it starts making black smog and does rev right. As the engine gets warmer then the engine smokes more and won’t acclerate almost at all under pressure.
Question
I visually inspected the injectors before reusing them but could they be damaged and be getting worse when the car heats up?

Also if I accelerate I have drops of oil come out of the exhaust?
Old January 16th, 2018, 16:33   #6
Jakub

Another update . When I disconnect the vacuum line to the turbo the engine accelerates and responds with no smoke. When the turbo is building boost there is black smoke and it chokes itself.
Old January 16th, 2018, 22:55   #7
Jakub

What does the electronic actuator manage? Air mixture or fuel mixture ?
Old Yesterday, 19:36   #8
Jerry_T
Veteran Member

Jakub, sounds like turbo vane stop out of adjustment.
Take a look here, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ustment&page=5
Check post 62. The entire thread is interesting.

Cheers
2001 Golf GLS TDI 5 spd - RC3, 2001 Golf GLS 2.0 gasser 5 spd, 2006 Jetta GL 1.9 TDI 5 spd - RC2, 2006 Jetta GL 1.9 TDI DSG - RC1.5, 2009 Jetta Cup Edition 2.0 TDI 6 spd, 2014 Tiggy R-Line 2.0 TSI - wife
Jerry_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:00   #9
Jakub

I’m going to read it but your referring to the screw mounted on the turbo not the adjustment if the actuator but the bolt it bottoms
Out on ?
Old Yesterday, 21:42   #10
Jakub

@Jerry_T. I think your right and that’s is for sure what I’m doing tomorrow. Question
I have a vagcom and when I go to basic settings I just go to group 11 and it will tell me both values off and on? That’s the only thing I’m confused on is getting those on and off values
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 22:39   #11
Jerry_T
Veteran Member

Jakub, I'll not pretend to have all this memorized, I just stumble along till I find useful info then try to apply it.
Post #68 explains very well the info your looking.
The entire turbo set up is a pain but well worth the time. The stop is very sensitive and dialing in the actuator will test your patience Take care not to burn yourself.
Bought my '06 2 years ago with 225k on the clock, vacuum line to actuator disconnected and plugged. N75 plumbed incorrectly and egr rolling coal under the hood. Drove it from Tn to NC over the Appalachians, lots of smoke that night. Corrected boost deficiencies, egr delete, Rocket Chip tune and couldn't be happier. Now at 293k.

Cheers
2001 Golf GLS TDI 5 spd - RC3, 2001 Golf GLS 2.0 gasser 5 spd, 2006 Jetta GL 1.9 TDI 5 spd - RC2, 2006 Jetta GL 1.9 TDI DSG - RC1.5, 2009 Jetta Cup Edition 2.0 TDI 6 spd, 2014 Tiggy R-Line 2.0 TSI - wife

Last edited by Jerry_T; Today at 11:02.
Old Yesterday, 23:09   #12
Jakub

Yea I read the entire thing I just don’t
Fully understand the on and
Off boost readings
Old Today, 11:02   #13
Jerry_T
Veteran Member

Apologies, that would be post #68.

"Start with the car up to operating temperature.
Use VCDS, Basic Settings channel 011, turn "ON" The car will slowly idle up to 1400 rpm +/-. Now the VNT is in a calibration mode.
Note the boost values when the VNT is fully closed and fully open. You are looking to unjust the to have a 80 millibar difference between off and on.
Adjusting the screw out will increase the boost spread, turning the screw in will reduce boost.
Once you have tuned this check you actuator setting. I would start with the VNT at full stroke around 18" vacuum.
After this you will have to work with your tuner to fine tune the actuator to match up to the duty cycle and logs.
After each adjustment you should rerun the channel 011 Basic Setting so the smart actuator can learn the parameters of the VNT. This will help the ECU adapt to the actuator faster than just driving around."

When you initiate this test the ECU will cycle the turbo actuator. On the screen will be displayed boost pressure. With the stop screw setting you are looking for an 80mb spread between high and low.
From what you have described I would first turn the stop screw in 1/2 turn with the engine cold, run the test making adjustments accordingly.
You will also need a mighty-vac type device to set the actuator.
A boost gauge is helpful as well, all those dang mb numbers just confuse me when logging.
Again this job is a PITA, just be diligent and the reward of satisfaction will follow.
Old Today, 11:24   #14
Jerry_T
Veteran Member

Check these vids.

https://youtu.be/Nl66nCaOlI0

https://youtu.be/Ppif4qC560U