Did you buy a TDI recently and then have it retrofitted?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I'm talking in regards to the emissions stuff?? If so, I'd like to speak with you. Specifically how well did VW treat you?

Thanks!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
To expound a bit, I am wondering what VW does if you have just bought a tdi that needs retrofitted. I am considering doing this if the right car comes along, but I wanted to make sure VW would still cover me. I don't want to lose money on the deal, nor forfeit the extended warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They are obligated to do the work on any car that is brought to them IIRC. You may or may not get any money though. It also needs to be stock and in good repair. I don't think they can turn anyone away that just wants the fix alone.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know. Would like to use this opportunity to get into something a bit newer where the warranty would cover me for longer. But it certainly has to be worth the hassle, of which will be considerable.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I purchased this 2011 in the spring of 2016, after the bombshell hit, but before people knew what VW was going to pay to buy them back..

other than commenting that my '11 had a lot more miles than they usually see with people coming in for the fix, the dealer up here was very reasonable, put me in a brand new passat loaner, (automatics aint my bag, but plenty nice and well equipped).

I figure alot of people who were staring down a timing belt service and maybe some suspension and brake work, maybe need new tires, opted to take the buyback, I had already performed all thees services myself, so no big deal.. figure my 142k car is about as sound as a 60k example, so no reason not to keep and get the payout

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been searching for another tdi to replace. It seems as some of the ones that were returned are being retrofitted and back on the market. I'd much rather see that then crushing them. But I wonder if prices of ones for sale will drop as the market gets flooded?? So far only a few of them are reasonably priced.

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, MT6, Platinum Grey; 2000 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver
wait a few more months if you can, that is what I am doing, I would like a 14 jsw

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Good feedbacks. Am considering of another TDI soon because this JSW is nearly 300k miles.....

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I found a JSW TDI that was a year newer and 50k less miles, so I jumped on it. Clean one owner that is only nicer than what I have now. Will have to do some traveling to get it, but I hope that pays off in the long run. Will post pics when I am able to go get it.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I actually found one here in Texas (2014) that had not been flashed. I am going through the VW option 2 + restitution and letting them do the flash while my exhaust is being shipped down from buzz Ken guy. =]