//// suspension upgrade while changing out wherl bearings ///

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi all,
Finally got my car back to running and now I need to address a failing front driver side wheel bearing.
Due to the amount of things needing to be taken apart while doing the front wheel bearings I figured I might as well update some other things also since the car is about 317000 miles on it now.
This is what i thought of doing..
1) lifting the front end using wheel spacers approximately an inch or so basically make the car sit level and get additional ground clearance.
2) replace the front struts with koni active units.
3) while I'm in there I figure I might as well replace the control arm with idparts unit with audi tt bushings.
4) install polyurethane bushings and endlinks on the factory sway bar or would it be worthwhile replacing the factory sway bar with something heavier?
5) since the rotors in the front for a little bit on the low side as well as warped i need tk replace those too ... any Thoughts on stock vs drilled and slotted?
6) would subframe bushings be worthwhile doing at the same time?
7) of course I'll check over all the other suspension components. That's what I was thinking at least while I was in there...
Any ideas or suggestions in addition to what I'm thinking?
Thanks in advance for any and all help
Andrew

Last edited:

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
I like your thoughts. Poly bushing will squeak I did full poly on a different and it squeaked me to no end. I have been lucky for the Poly front LCA (think horizontal) but I have blown through the TT LCA Vertical bushings in 3 years (MAHLE Sucks). I wanted to do the poly there and create a greasable zerk fitting (drill bushing center and add some upright groves) before I go full poly...

I also installed B6 BilStein (not sure about the koni but hear good things) and Moog 81134,81055 springs which make the car feel good and tight. But the springs have rusted something fierce. All the Strut components were replaced and the 60a ECS Strut mounts for luck. I have a sport GLX rear beam (thicker center rod (18.6mm vs 21.3mm) I want to do soon also with Bilsteins, bearings, Bushing (Cupro) and Bar...

Last edited: